Civil War variant?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

You are supposed to play the Civil War game using cards from the same house. But wouldn't it be more fun playing all characters at the same time, as the characters in the book seem to dwindle back and forth anyhow. I also just don't have that many cards yet as I just own 1 core and 1 deluxe exp. Is this doable or am I missing something obvious? :P

I'm not fully familiar with the cards yet, but it seems a better format in theory. I know the Starks, for one, will have need of the direwolfs and that will be hard, but most others will be fine on itself, right?

It speaks for itself the additional gold costs will be annuled.

#2 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Marginal0 said:

You are supposed to play the Civil War game using cards from the same house. But wouldn't it be more fun playing all characters at the same time, as the characters in the book seem to dwindle back and forth anyhow. I also just don't have that many cards yet as I just own 1 core and 1 deluxe exp. Is this doable or am I missing something obvious? :P

I'm not fully familiar with the cards yet, but it seems a better format in theory. I know the Starks, for one, will have need of the direwolfs and that will be hard, but most others will be fine on itself, right?

I want to try this out as a tournament format and see what happens. Take two decks, shuffle 'em, play Civil War. LoL.

You should probably make all the reducers global. So a Bara reducer can reduce a Targ card. Other than that, it should work fine.

#3 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

mdc273 said:

Marginal0 said:

I want to try this out as a tournament format and see what happens. Take two decks, shuffle 'em, play Civil War. LoL.

You should probably make all the reducers global. So a Bara reducer can reduce a Targ card. Other than that, it should work fine.

Smash Up! is a great game, but the preferred format (if any) is probably to have the LGS build a few civil war decks and inform the players of which ones are available for the tournament so people can bring the appropriate plot decks (since each player brings their own to the table).

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#4 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

stormwolf27 said:

Smash Up! is a great game, but the preferred format (if any) is probably to have the LGS build a few civil war decks and inform the players of which ones are available for the tournament so people can bring the appropriate plot decks (since each player brings their own to the table).

I wish our FLGS would do something like this, but they're more just a retailer than an actual community builder. I really like the idea for a post-Regionals event. The NYC meta is pretty focused on Regionals right now, though, so the alternate formats are on hold.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS