Echo Base Shield Generators

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

This card is a beast. The LS does not have to worry about losing Edge battle anymore. Once you see this combo, use it to the fullest. I will leave you all to ponder how to make this work, but once you realize it, you will be happy.

It probably isn't  a secret, but some might not see it yet.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm not seeing why you think it is so powerful. First of all, Rebels have so many edge-enabled blast icons, that they still really need to win the edge, even if they have a shield on their units. Secondly, you are still restricted to only one shield per unit. The only card that breaks that rule as far as I'm aware is Our Most Despearte Hour.

True, though, you could generate three shields in your deployment phase, play it again, and generate 3 more (it wouldn't go back to your hand till the next turn), but you would need 6 units out to make that useful.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

Budgernaut said:

I'm not seeing why you think it is so powerful. First of all, Rebels have so many edge-enabled blast icons, that they still really need to win the edge, even if they have a shield on their units. Secondly, you are still restricted to only one shield per unit. The only card that breaks that rule as far as I'm aware is Our Most Despearte Hour.

True, though, you could generate three shields in your deployment phase, play it again, and generate 3 more (it wouldn't go back to your hand till the next turn), but you would need 6 units out to make that useful.

How in the world are you using a once per turn ability so often? The whole ability is once/turn, not just the return to hand part.

#4 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

That is not the strategy part I was refering to Budgernaut. 

Dmeboy that does bring up a question about this card. Is it once per turn that you may place  a shield on a unit, or that once per turn it blows up and goes to your hand?

In other words, say I have no damage on it. I place 3 damage on it and place 3 shields on separate units. I return the generator to my hand. I have enough resources to play it again, but because of the once per turn I can not blow it up again.

OR

does it mean like you are implying, that you can only use the placing of a shield on a unit once per turn?

But this does not have anything to do with the original trick I was talking about with this card.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

It does mean that the whole ability is limited to once/turn. There's no reason to limit just the last part of the ability anyways… it can't return to your hand twice anyways as it would no longer be on table to return after the first time. Incidently, that is the one way you can use it twice in a turn: use it, bounce it, replay it, use it again.

#6 SmokeyJ

SmokeyJ

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

dbmeboy said:

It does mean that the whole ability is limited to once/turn. There's no reason to limit just the last part of the ability anyways… it can't return to your hand twice anyways as it would no longer be on table to return after the first time. Incidently, that is the one way you can use it twice in a turn: use it, bounce it, replay it, use it again.

I'm not even sure your last scenario is correct.  An action occurs once per turn regardless of whether or not the card generating that action leaves play and returns in that turn.  Perfect example would be force choke. It leaves play after it resolves, so the text limiting it to once a turn is no longer in play, but that doesn't mean you can play another in the same turn.

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

SmokeyJ said:

dbmeboy said:

I'm not even sure your last scenario is correct.  An action occurs once per turn regardless of whether or not the card generating that action leaves play and returns in that turn.  Perfect example would be force choke. It leaves play after it resolves, so the text limiting it to once a turn is no longer in play, but that doesn't mean you can play another in the same turn.

But that's because Force Choke is not limit once per turn, but limit 1 per turn.

#8 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Before this gets too out of hand with the way the card is actually played, here is the combo that we use with this card (again it is probably a trick others know about).

After the defenders are annouced place the last shield you can with this card and bounce it to your hand getting ready to use the 3 edge the card offers. Then lay this in the edge battle and it should help the low edge enabled Rebel decks actually win an edge or two.

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Rogue 4 said:

Before this gets too out of hand with the way the card is actually played, here is the combo that we use with this card (again it is probably a trick others know about).

After the defenders are annouced place the last shield you can with this card and bounce it to your hand getting ready to use the 3 edge the card offers. Then lay this in the edge battle and it should help the low edge enabled Rebel decks actually win an edge or two.

It's certainly a nice trick, though far from foolproof in winning edge battles.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS