Subtelty is for the weak - IN Deck

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pikciwok

Pikciwok

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Instead of reinforcing TIE deck with the Death Squadron set I decided to build a new one using sets centred on destroying objectives.

2x Deploy the Fleet
2x Death & Despayre
2x Ultimate Power
2x Imperial Command
2x Lord Vader's Command

All the big units supported by global blast icon enhancements (Tarkin, Orbital Bombardment) and 18 cards with resources/cost reduction.
Lack of Twist of Fates and events though.

I'm still waiting for the new force pack to test it. Any suggestions?

#2 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Ignore, stupid forums

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#3 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Im surprised you didnt go with Endor Gambit, the extra refresh can come in handy a lot and AT-STs are quite good.  Other than that looks pretty similar to what I started out with.

Something I've been struggling with though is that its frequently slower than you might expect and struggles to defend adequately.  I am changing my build to accomodate, but it feels really clunky to me, and its real bad if your opponent neutralizes your early star destroyer(s) since you dont have much else to help you out.

My current build is:

Sith

2xDeploy the Fleet

2xDeath and Despayre

2xEndor Gambit

2xImperial Command

2xThe Emperor's Web (this was formerly either Ultimate power or Vaders command.)

I didnt like Ultimate Power because the units in it (aside from Tarkin) are pretty lack luster.  Vader's Command, while slightly better, felt mostly like it was just chaff, and I didnt really need Vader.  Hence, currently testing the Emp instead, since he gives you some nice board control, a resource and two strong defensive units.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

My first thought before actually building and testing is:

Death and Despayre x2

Deploy the Fleet x2

Defense Protocol x2

Kuat Reinforcements x2

The Endor Gambit x2

I wish we had a few more capital ship sets.  There's stuff that cares about capital ships and stuff that cares about fighters, but only a handful of cards that will work with any vehicle.  Once enough cards are out that I could build a pure Star Destroyer deck, then it'll be sweet.

#5 Pikciwok

Pikciwok

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

I played the deck dbmeboy suggested:

Death and Despayre x2

Deploy the Fleet x2

Defense Protocol x2

Kuat Reinforcements x2

The Endor Gambit x2

…and I think it's great! Hida77, you were right - the Endor Gambit is a must have! The objective's ability and shielding give Star Destroyers immunity to tactics icons. I played 9 games vs. The Smuggler's Den deck and won 7 times - 3 with Devastator Rush, 4 with 2+ Star destroyers.

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

I also tested it a couple of times after suggesting it.  While it worked pretty well for me, it was a little inconsistent overall.  If you can get a big ship or two down early it can win very quickly.  But in the games when you can't come out quickly it doesn't play defense very well.

This is, of course, a play style thing.  I like playing for board control, and then take out objectives once I have the board position firmly in my grasp.  This deck really needs to come out fast and out race the LS.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS