bear island omg!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LFenix

LFenix

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Ok, so recently, this nasty card has been found in my meta, and played along with house of dreams agenda, I find myself unable to play around it with my martel deck. The question is, is there anything out there to get rid of it? My only thoughts are playing 4 city plots (wich would ruin my deck) or snowed under (wich is not very useful unless the opponent is a bit dumb or if you manage to force him to do it or lose…)

Is there any other way of playing around it that I´m missing??

#2 LFenix

LFenix

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

I found search and detain as well, but it´s also tricky to get it to work…

#3 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Maybe use more attachments on your key characters.

Use the plot "Snowed Under".

"Attack from the Sea" if you think you can deal with your locations being knelt.

Retaliation cards like Blood for Blood.

Battle of the Shield Islands to steal it?  Just gotta be sure to time it so you are the only one who can win(or you at least go second in the epic phase).

#4 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

LFenix said:

Ok, so recently, this nasty card has been found in my meta, and played along with house of dreams agenda, I find myself unable to play around it with my martel deck. The question is, is there anything out there to get rid of it? My only thoughts are playing 4 city plots (wich would ruin my deck) or snowed under (wich is not very useful unless the opponent is a bit dumb or if you manage to force him to do it or lose…)

Is there any other way of playing around it that I´m missing??

As far as cards able to affect it, there aren't many.

Search and Detain is an obvious one. City Besieged is also obvious. Snowed Under is definitely plausible, and should effectively shut it down for a turn. Burning Bridges will shut it down for a turn. Attack from the Sea equally shuts it down for a turn.

As far as non-plot cards go there are two ways to deal with it. One is to give your opponent a non-Stark card. This is very difficult if not impossible. The other is lots of attachments. As Bomb said, put 'em on your best character and pray. I am easily frustrated by Maester decks with chains. They go on everything! Other than that, Bear Island is a hungry, hungry card.

#5 LFenix

LFenix

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

I find it simply too good to be true (bear island I mean). I reduced the number of attachments on my deck because I needed more chars, then I found this. Also, I play with the southern army (the shadows one), wich is "no attachments". It is great against most decks, but here, it´s just useless…

I guess I´ll just have to get more attachments, even though my deck will be less effective against the rest… Just thinking it is in the same restricted list as  martell´s venenous blade, wich is way less powerfull, makes my head hurt :S

#6 LFenix

LFenix

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

also, the problem with Attack from the sea and Burning bridges is that it stops my own abilities to be triggered :S

#7 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Also note that Bear Island heavily constrains any deck that contains it (and it did even before it was restricted): any card (character, attachment or location) without the Stark affiliation shuts it down (even neutral cards). With Battle of the Shield Island, they likely won't steal any location from you (except for multi-house ones) and if they do, your problem is solved (so they will need to win on defense).

#8 JCWamma

JCWamma

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:26 AM

Also, this won't help Martell, but Victarion's Reavers can hit Bear Island if the opponent doesn't have any alternative targets.

#9 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

Bear Island

Dominance: Kneel Bear Island to choose and kill a non-House Stark character without attachments. Use this ability only if every card you control has the House Stark affiliation.

To be effective, all cards controlled by your opponent must be House Stark

Well if I was Greyjoy, I would slip him a copy of Wharf Rats

Wharf Rats cannot be killed. After Wharf Rats' controller wins a challenge, discard the top card of its controller's deck. Response: After Wharf Rats comes out of Shadows, choose an opponent. That opponent takes control of Wharf Rats.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS