When do one gain/regain reactions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peem

Peem

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

This is a repost of a question i asked earlier but recieved no answer to so I created this new thread to brig it back up top after the recent forum hijacking. Hopefully some learned person can sort out this for me (and my group).

When does a character gain/regain his reactions for the turn? At the start of the turn or at the start of his initiative?

Example:
Characters A,B and C is starting a combat, neither is suprised. They roll for Initiative. A gets a total of 10, B gets 5 and C gets 3.
A attacks B and hits. Does B have a reaction to use to avoid this hit since he hasn't had his turn yet?

Assuming so we move on.
B then has his turn and we move on to C who also attacks B. Will B have gained a new reaction at his own initiative and can thus avoid C's attack as well?

#2 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

The best method I can think of to address the issue of reactions, usage, and resets is the following:

In the first turn a character has his turn 1 reaction at the start of combat. If he uses this reaction before his initiative comes around the character does not get another one until his initiative comes around on his next turn (turn 2). Then the reactions reset every time his initiative occurs.

This keeps things fair considering both reactions and reaction using talents (ex. furious attack). It also makes how the start of combat occurs a little more important by making the first turn a little more hectic. Suprising or initiating combt should always be more desirable than the opposite.

#3 Fezzek

Fezzek

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

I also have it reset every round.  although i dont make them wait until their initiative to reset their reaction.  that seems a little harsh,  plus its a reaction not a turn.  there are a couple of talents that allow an extra dodge and parry.  Tech-marines can be a pain since that $%^## servo-arm can be used as a reaction.  I did teach my player with the techmarine to save his reaction for a dodge though, hehehe.

#4 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

We're also going with the "Reaction-Reset" System, the reason is that with a fixed regain every round (at the start) it would possibly punish those players with high initiative, as they start soaking the reactions. 

We had that problem in Dark Heresy, where my Metallican GUnslinger and designated Damage-Dealer (Dual shot with Bolt Pistols can be VERY nasty) also had the highest initiative, thus more often then not being unable to do damage.

#5 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

With my group all reactions reset at the start of each round.

E

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS