Gunner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

A.   Wait a minute. If you roll HITS and they are cancelled out, Gunner can still be used? Saying the target is in the primary range…It says an attack that does not HIT, but if say…my 2 HITS are cancelled out by 2 evade/focus or even a crit that is cancelled by determination, then no HIT actually occurred, right? Reading the card literally makes one assume that it happens when you roll blanks and focus (without a focus token).

B.   Since I'm at it and couldn't find the Gunner thread I know I read a while back; Does the Gunner attack have to be on the same ship you origionally attacked and missed from the start of the combat phase? I fogot…desconfiado    Basically, can the Gunner attack a different ship in the primary range?

C.   Lastly, "You cannot perform another attack this round" refers to all your remaining ships I assume? It seems obvious that the answer is a big YES, but I just figured I'd try to get it broken down for everyone once and for all. If that's the case, Gunner would be good with Han if he was the only ship you have. Otherwise, you'd want to use the YT-1300 as your lowest pilot skill.

Gunner:

"After you perform an attack that does not hit, immediately perform a primary weapon attack. You cannot perform another attack this round."

This one was sparked by this thread:

http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=808721

Rebels:
5 X-Wing's; 4 Y-Wing's; 4 A-Wing's; 2 B-wing's; 1 HWK-290; 1 YT-1300
Empire:
8 Tie Fighter's; 5 Tie Interceptor's; 4 Tie Advanced; 2 Tie Bomber's; 1 Lambda; 1 Firespray

#2 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Uhh…fogot = forgot* atontado

Rebels:
5 X-Wing's; 4 Y-Wing's; 4 A-Wing's; 2 B-wing's; 1 HWK-290; 1 YT-1300
Empire:
8 Tie Fighter's; 5 Tie Interceptor's; 4 Tie Advanced; 2 Tie Bomber's; 1 Lambda; 1 Firespray

#3 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

Like some of the other questions concerning hits, this is covered in the rulebook quite clearly.

Page 12, step 6. "Compare Results" has the definition of a "hit".  You roll attack, then roll agility, then cancel out (hits) and (crits).  If there are any (hits) or (crits) leftover after cancelling, the ship is considered hit.  The results on the dice are actually never named, they are simply filled and unfilled explosions, a "HIT" in the rules only occurs after comparing results.

Gunner is also covered.  "You" always refers to the ship.  There are no "player" effects.  So, after using gunner that ship may not attack again (so you couldn't have a Gunner and Luke on the Falcon and get 3 shots), but other ships are free to do so.

There is no requirement that you shoot at the same ship with Gunner (or Luke).

#4 RAGE1073

RAGE1073

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

So gunner can attack a different ship? can anyone post where in the rules it says this?

#5 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

RAGE1073 said:

So gunner can attack a different ship? can anyone post where in the rules it says this?

Specific card abilities are not addressed in the rules themselves, since card text overrides the general rules. So let's look at the text on Gunner:

"After you perform an attack that does not hit, immediately perform a primary weapon attack. You cannot perform another attack this round."

Gunner's text does not specify that you have to perform the attack on the same ship, it merely says "perform a primary weapon attack". Honestly, if they'd wanted to restrict the attack to the same ship they could have said "perform a primary weapon attack on the same ship". But there may be another reason it was not specified that way. Suppose the first attack (that did not hit) was made with a secondary weapon. Then suppose that the target of that first attack would not be a legal target for a primary weapon attack. You'd then have to switch to a legal target for the second attack. Right now, with the ships that have the ability to equip Gunner, I cannot think of an instance where this would be the case - perhaps someone else could prove me wrong - but that doesn't mean that it won't happen in the future.

Situationally, probably 99 times out of 100 you'd want to stick with the same target for the second attack, but there is nothing in the rules/text/FAQ right now that says you have to. This is a common question, however, and may be addressed in a future FAQ.

#6 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Also gives the larger ships more use because really without upgrades they only fire the same number of shots as a normal sized one,  one of my fave combos is outer rim smuggler with the dude that gives two target locks and gunner, fire at a ship, miss, target lock re roll, miss fire at the other target locked ship,miss, reroll for target lock,  it makes a somewhat lame ship slightly better.

c

#7 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

The Outer Rim Smuggler being the only possible exception, there is nothing the least bit lame about the large ships.  The Firespray is great, if a bit hard to fly, and the Falcon is currently stomping through the meta like Godzilla over Tokyo.

#8 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

Actually, there is a fairly common situation where Gunner does not shoot the same target.  On a Firespray equipped with Heavy Laser Cannon, you roll a 4 dice attack out to range 3 and the defender only has his base agility regardless of range.  I will often take a range 3 shot at a particularly threatening ship, and if it misses I will take my Gunner attack against a target at range 1 or 2, since that does not provide the extra die due to range (since Gunner is firing the primary weapon, not the HLC).

#9 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

KineticOperator said:

Actually, there is a fairly common situation where Gunner does not shoot the same target.  On a Firespray equipped with Heavy Laser Cannon, you roll a 4 dice attack out to range 3 and the defender only has his base agility regardless of range.  I will often take a range 3 shot at a particularly threatening ship, and if it misses I will take my Gunner attack against a target at range 1 or 2, since that does not provide the extra die due to range (since Gunner is firing the primary weapon, not the HLC).

That's the very example I was thinking of but did not mention, since it doesn't require that Gunner switch targets. In this case it would certainly be the best way to play it though.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS