Photo

How can I get more chaos warriors to appear deeper into the Empire?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm having trouble finding a logical way to get more chaos warriors deeper into the Empire.  Essentially, I'd like to stick a few more around in the provinces during The Enemy Within, just to add tension.

How can I justify how they go there?

Should they appear as part of  a beastman horde?

Help me with some ideas.

jh

#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

No problem, do it the way it is always done in warhammer adventures, through some kind of magic spell, ritual, incantation, whatever.

In particular you could make that the Chaos Warriors are together with a Chaos Sorcerer, Renegade Magister, Warlock or similar. Then all you need can be found in pg. 168 of Realms of Sorcery 2nd edition. The spell is called "The Impossible March of the Dammend Soldier", and there you go.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#3 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

What immediately came to my mind was a portal.

Then I remembered the Cult of the Crimson Skull from Ashes of Middenheim.

If you combine those and keep in mind that WFRP3 is leading to the Storm of Chaos, you could have some tainted Sigmar-cults have a secret temple in the cellar, where they open portals or summon them or …

As I am writing this, I am also thinking about the North-European folk-tale/ religious belief of the Wild Hunt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

You might alter this a bit and have a ravening horde of chaos warriors roam the land. Maybe even leaving killed goblins, skaven or beastmen behind, making the players wonder if they are some kind of good guys. Hm. I might use that myself!

#4 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

Why not use corrupted knights? Not only would they be more interesting they would also immediately reduce the defence ability of the Empire. Few Reiksguards and Knights of the Blazing Sun screaming Blood for the Blood God should make your PCs tremble.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#5 Tamhas

Tamhas

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

doc_cthulhu said:

Why not use corrupted knights? Not only would they be more interesting they would also immediately reduce the defence ability of the Empire. Few Reiksguards and Knights of the Blazing Sun screaming Blood for the Blood God should make your PCs tremble.

actually that's a good idea that could lead to another adventure (cleansing the name), although i wouldn't restrict to only those kinghlty orders.

Another way would be a scheeming corrupted noble smuggled them in. This could let you have a small party. Or you could make that they arrived by sea with an army, and got into the empire (whole campaign to drive them off). It all depends if you would like to have them marked. If they are Khorne marked, they would be razing the place, very notable, if they are nurgle marked, they would be smelled from afar, also kind of notable, but less than khorne. If they would be Tzeench, they could actually be anywhere, entering the realm in disguise with illusions for a specific target. If they would be Slaanesh marked, they would go to high spheres that are already corrupted, and act as bodyguards, taking part on their parties of execess, until they get off hand, ****** a whole town, hunging women and children in grotesques positions as it would be "art".

#6 Roland the Red

Roland the Red

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

A corrupted/recently opened waygate would be another way.

#7 No:12

No:12

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

Perhaps some bandits recovered the armour and weapons from a skirmish site to the north and now use it to dress up and intimidate folks into paying up?

#8 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

No:12 said:

Hi,

Perhaps some bandits recovered the armour and weapons from a skirmish site to the north and now use it to dress up and intimidate folks into paying up?

Chaos armours are fusioned to the chaos warrior's body.

Besides, in the Old World nobody would do something like this i.e. messing with obviously chaos corrupted items, unless they are already deeply corrupted by chaos. Folk are extremly superstitious and for their own good.

Said that, each one at his table can modidy the setting as he sees fit.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#9 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

A raiding party from a ship.

Scouting party for an invasion

Someone loots a tomb with chaos armour in it. Think I read that chaos armour is sort of sentient and converts the wearer to chaos?

Magical disguise.

#10 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

Great ideas.  I'm thinking that I may introduce a concept that they are drawn to places of chaos, much like Beastmen are.

jh

#11 nephtys

nephtys

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

i think there is an action called rampaging mutation or something. i think you might be able to use that to "transform" a beastman into a chaos spawn or a warrior.

in that way the chaos might be getting stronger within the empire and therefor such "mutations" appear

#12 Vasquia

Vasquia

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

Most parties always have one character/player that solves all troubles with violence. Simply turn him into a warrior of chaos, let Khorne bless him and slowly turn him to the dark side. The more he kills the more you should gift him, could for example give him talents/actions for free that gives him the edge Khorne would like, like frenzy, reckless cleave, fortune dice in strength, resilient against magic(this you could keep a secret) etc. then make him start getting noose blood, dream of great battles, headaches if he havent killed anything for a time etc to make him realise that something is wrong but not give him the idea that he in fact is blessed by khorne? Further theres a point where he or the party will realise that something is horribly wrong, when horns starts to grow out of his forehead. What happens then?  Could also make him into a nemesis for the group that are always showing up when things are getting hot. If not, Tzeentch are always looking for power-seekers that manipulate people around them. Or you´ll always have drakwald forest, a great forest for GMs to use since its located in the heart of the empire between Altdorf and Middenheim. Here you got tons of opportunities for chaos-warrior to lurk about.

#13 Boehm

Boehm

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Maybe have something like a chaos Waargh going on … wherein corropted people from the cities and villages gets drawn to certain places deep in the forests - sites of buried chaos champions or old sacrificial sites etc. - once there they give themselves up fully to their corrupted lusts, some mutating beyound recogniztion while others rise above and beyound as rising champions being rewarded with weapons and armour of chaos

Personally I like this idea better than simply having gates magically deposit chaos warriors into the empire … the calling of those already attracted to chaos to join their brethren in a New (chaotic) Eden …free of the restraints imposed by imperial society …free from intolerant persecution of those just wishing to live free … - maybe even have some of the characters experience some weird dreams, pleaseant dreams of living life to the fullest …of doing whatever dark desire the character would have … seeming to pull him in a certain direction ei. sleepwalking,  … only slowly turning the dreams darker and darker :) I love tales of corruption :D

#14 Tamhas

Tamhas

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

After reading some posts I realized that Mor's follower are really susceptible to tzeench's influence, or to be corrupted as a whole.

Remember that Mor is the god of death and dreams, and that his omens are through dreams. So if now and then you add an omen, you can slowly (or not so slowly) and corrupting dreams.

#15 Croaker13

Croaker13

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Also, if I remember my lore correctly, the Middle Mountains are supposed to contain some kind of chaos stronghold, from where they raid further into the Empire.

In the original Enemy Within, there's a chaos warrior actually visiting castle Wittgenstein (in the southen part if Reikland), who's apparently the leader of a beastmen warband. That is 1ed fluff mind you.

#16 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

That's very helpful.  Thank you.  

jh

#17 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Many people here mentioned to use "magical means"… So, I have to mention them too.

In the Wulfrik - novel Chaos Marauder (and Champion) Wulfrik the Wanderer (Norse) has magical ship (or part of this ship) that makes kind of a "warp-jump". The ship and it's crew just jumps into Aethyr, is a moment there, and then appears somewhere else in the real world.

At the end Wulfrik ties entire fleet of Norse Reavers ships to his own and makes this jump. Ok, jumping in the Aethyr full of Daemons is dangerous journey, and not everyone make (or are fully sane after). But still small fleet of Norse Dragonships suddenly appear in the Reik.

So, something like this could be used…

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#18 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

SPOILER

I just threw them into a perfect travel situation in Book 2 of The New Enemy Within.  :)

Was probably the most harrowing encounter to date.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS