Photo

New Player thinking about getting into this game.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Goldenfoon

Goldenfoon

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

Hello all!

I play both Netrunner and StarWars LCG but I was thinking of picking up this game as well. An acquaintance of mine mentioned that there is an option to solo play this game and that intrigued me. At most I would be able to have a 2 player game but more games would be played solo I would assume.

So with the large catalog available what would you recommend for a person just getting into this game? My primary focus is for solo play but also some games with 2 players.

Thanks in advance.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

hello

i played this game exclusively solo for about a year and a half from its release about 2 years ago. it plays great solo….i woulnt call the solo aspect an after thought at all, but a core way to play this game. it does of course also play great multiplayer as well

in general solo is much harder in the first packs. this is different now with a bigger card pool and some solo friendly cards, so the first thing i would say is you need patience to play the game solo, and being able to buy some key packs helps..

before i go onto the packs i would say that playing solo 2 handed (ie playing both players hands) is an excellent and fullfilling way to play this game, so much so i only play this way now

if you want to play 1 handed solo as most solo players do, some cards (im only talking about 4 or 5) will be useless to you as they need another player

there is no set packs for solo play, you can play them all solo. some are harder than others.

there is only one really pack to avoid for solo (they do have key cards in though so are worth getting) and this is return to mirkwood. its just not designed with solo in mind. same with dol guldur but thats in the core set so you get that anyways

i would just recommend you going in order. that way you get to play the way the packs were made to be played storywise. it doesnt matter if you dont want to do it this way, you arent missing out on anything major if you just want to play the game

its worth pointing out that you need the deluxe packs to play the cycle after them.

the core set is all you need to play anything from the mirkwood cycle

khazad dum is needed for the dwarrowdelf cycle

hiers of numenor is needed for against the shadow cycle (not yet out)

there are 2 hobbit packs that are 'saga' packs which you only need core set for

i would recommend staying away from later packs (numenor and hobbit 1 and 2) as they will be very hard with a limited card pool

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Goldenfoon

Goldenfoon

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the advice!

It looks like the some of the earlier Mirkwood Packs are sold out so perhaps I will just get the Core set for now to try that out then purchase the expansions once they start reprinting them.

#4 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Goldenfoon said:

Thanks for the advice!

It looks like the some of the earlier Mirkwood Packs are sold out so perhaps I will just get the Core set for now to try that out then purchase the expansions once they start reprinting them.

yeah i heard its hard to get them these days….i think they are reprinting them soon though :)

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS