Force Struggle Question?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 iownr2d2

iownr2d2

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hello I do not use Forums very often but I have a question about Force Struggles in the Star Wars Card Game

My opponent has one unit left after attacking lets say Obi Wan, it has a focus token on it because it attacked. After my opponents Conflict phase is over and its now his “Force” Phase he chooses to put a force card on Obi Wan. Do we then have a “Force Struggle” Obi Wan is exhausted due to having a focus token on it, and my card is also exhausted.

On the flip side, what happens if the LS player has an exhausted card, and the DS player does not, is there a Force Struggle then?

Basically how do Force Struggles work.

Thanks for your time reading this, and helping a new player!

Loving the game thus far!!

#2 Nyvosus

Nyvosus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

the force struggle is the tallying of force tokens on cards that are commited to the force, cards that are committed to the force but are exhausted do not take place in the force struggle, if both of the players cards that are commited to the force are exhausted, balance of the force goes to the light side (same case when there are equal amounts of force icons), so that said, the player with the most amount of force icons that are on the cards dedicated to the force, wins the balance of the force for that turn.

#3 chiller087

chiller087

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

iownr2d2 said:

Basically how do Force Struggles work.

There is a Force Struggle at the end of every turn.  Regardless of how many units there are, regardless of which units have focus tokens, or even if there are no units in play.  There is always a Force Struggle at the end of each player's turn, no matter what's on the table.

The way you determine who wins is to simply check the following:

1) Do I have any units committed to the Force?

2) If so, are they Ready? (A unit is Ready only if it has zero focus tokens on it.)

If both of the above are true, then you count the Force icons on those units.  This number will be your Force Total.  You only count the icons on units that are committed to the Force and are Ready.  You do not count the Force icons on any unit that is not committed to the Force, nor do you count the Force icons on a Committed unit that has 1 or more focus tokens on it.  You also only count the Force icons on the unit itself; you never count Force icons on any enhancement that is attached to that unit.

It is possible to have a Force Total of zero, if:

1) You have no units in play

2) You have units in play, but none of them are committed to the Force

3) You have units committed to the Force, but they all have focus tokens on them.

Your opponent follows the same procedure, and whoever has more icons on his or her side wins, and the Balance of the Force marker will flip to match the winner's side (i.e., If the DS player wins, the marker will flip to the Dark Side).  If it's a tie, the marker stays where it is.

Hope this helps!

Micah

#4 iownr2d2

iownr2d2

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thank you, do you know where in the rule book it says that "if both of the players cards that are commited to the force are exhausted, balance of the force goes to the light side" Not that I don't trust you, just want to check it.
:)

#5 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

One important addendum to chiller087's summary: you can only flip the marker to your side during YOUR force phase. The force struggle is effectively moot (but still technically happens) if the active player already holds the balance,

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

The Gas said:

One important addendum to chiller087's summary: you can only flip the marker to your side during YOUR force phase. The force struggle is effectively moot (but still technically happens) if the active player already holds the balance,

Incorrect.  You can flip the force balance to your side during your opponent's force phase.

#7 andersb25

andersb25

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

I was also wondering this about Force Battles. But there are many different explanations here…. Can someone who is certain please summarize an answer to the initial question.

#8 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

There is always a force struggle during each players force phase. To resolve a force struggle, both players count the number of force icons on their ready (not exhausted) units that are committed to the force. The player with the highest total flips the balance of the force token so his side is face up. You can win the force struggle and flip the token to your side even on your opponents turn. If there is a tie in the force struggle, the token stays on the side it is on (does not flip).

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

There are also cards that add force icons to your total in the force struggle. These work whether or not you have any ready, committed units.

#10 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

Carist said:

There is always a force struggle during each players force phase. To resolve a force struggle, both players count the number of force icons on their ready (not exhausted) units that are committed to the force. The player with the highest total flips the balance of the force token so his side is face up. You can win the force struggle and flip the token to your side even on your opponents turn. If there is a tie in the force struggle, the token stays on the side it is on (does not flip).

this explanation is correct, please ignore the other posts that contradict it

#11 Redblock

Redblock

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

It seems I was playing wrong, and only found out now. You miss one word in rulebook (ready) and you get fail. Thanks for starter of this thread.

#12 chiller087

chiller087

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

iownr2d2 said:

Thank you, do you know where in the rule book it says that "if both of the players cards that are commited to the force are exhausted, balance of the force goes to the light side" Not that I don't trust you, just want to check it.
:)

There is no such rule.

Micah

#13 iownr2d2

iownr2d2

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Ok so we have established that you only count the force icons on your "ready" units committed to the force,

what if both sides tie, or both sides committed units are exhausted? Does the balance of the force just stay where it was?

#14 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

iownr2d2 said:

Ok so we have established that you only count the force icons on your "ready" units committed to the force,

what if both sides tie, or both sides committed units are exhausted? Does the balance of the force just stay where it was?

Those aren't 2 separate situations as both sides having all committed units exhausted means that they will tie at 0-0 unless Ancient Monument or Jedi Training is on table. In the case of a tie, neither side "wins" the force struggle and the result is that the balance of the force stays wherever it is (see the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph of the Force Struggle section on pg 15).

#15 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

dbmeboy said:

The Gas said:

Incorrect.  You can flip the force balance to your side during your opponent's force phase.

Went and checked the rules and… you're right, there's no mention of what I said.  Explaining that to FREAKING EVERYBODY IN MY LOCAL META is going to be fun… asustado

#16 iownr2d2

iownr2d2

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thanks everybody! I don't use forums all that often, but this has been very helpful, I am likely to have more questions

reir

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS