• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnn0411

johnn0411

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

knights of the hollow hill:

You cannot place cards during the setup phase. Other cards you control do not provide a gold bonus. Your House card gains:
+2 Income
+2 Influence
+2 Initiative

I dont understand how the house card can provide a bonus when the agenda says other cards you control do not provide a gold bonus.

To me the house card would count as a other card trying to provide an income bonus can someone explain what im missing?

#2 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

You're missing the Errata to KotHH in the FAQ that specifically addresses this.

#3 johnn0411

johnn0411

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thank you, I didnt think it made sense

#4 johnn0411

johnn0411

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

After looking at the FAQ it seems that the text in it is a clarification not an errata, so I am still confused as to why the house card is not effected.  I get that its not but can anyone explain why it is not?

#5 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

The errata clarifies what the card does - and supercedes the text actually printed on the card (just like any other errata). In some cases, like KotHH, the errata isn't actually a change to the wording of the card.

So yes, as the card is printed, it grants a gold bonus to the house card which you can't benefit from - but the errata tells us that you can benefit from it, so you can. It's that simple (and not all that elegant).

If you want other clarifications that aren't actual changes to the card text, look at Pycelle, Magister Illyrio, Doran, Black Sails or Before the Black Walls (among others).

#6 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

johnn0411 said:

After looking at the FAQ it seems that the text in it is a clarification not an errata, so I am still confused as to why the house card is not effected.  I get that its not but can anyone explain why it is not?

johnn0411 said:

There is no logical reason as to why it is exempt within the rules. As the errata is simply a clarification and not additional text on the card, it does not create any new logic that would make the card work as intended.

What it boils down to is that the card was not working as the designers intended as printed. The designers then clarified the intent of the card and made it clear that the card was meant to work in a different way than the actual text on the card.

While it may not seem a particularly elegant solution, I'd rather designer's errata with clarification for intent than try to create some complex logic by which they can explain a card working. This clarification keeps the rules simple and ensures the card works as the designers intended with no ill side-effects because of new logic.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS