actions in the deploy phase

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Damandred

Damandred

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

This came up the other day as I was playing a game. Dark side has a force choke in hand and Vader on the table during the Light sides deploy phase. Light side has no protectors on the table and plays Han, then intends to place Obi-wan's spirit on him immediately afterwards. Can the Dark side play the choke in between the time Han hits the table and Obi-wans spirit is placed on it? With vader's reaction this would kill Han before he was protected by Spirit, correct?

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Damandred said:

This came up the other day as I was playing a game. Dark side has a force choke in hand and Vader on the table during the Light sides deploy phase. Light side has no protectors on the table and plays Han, then intends to place Obi-wan's spirit on him immediately afterwards. Can the Dark side play the choke in between the time Han hits the table and Obi-wans spirit is placed on it? With vader's reaction this would kill Han before he was protected by Spirit, correct?

After Han is played, the DS has the next opportunity to play/use an action. In this example, the DS does have the ability to kill Han before he can get enhanced.

#3 Saej

Saej

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Yes.  Your opponent's action is deploying Han.  It is your turn for an action, such as Choke, before your opponent gets another action (playing Spirit).

Usually you would 'pass' and he could play Spirit, and then another card, etc., but this time you have an action and it is your turn to play it.

#4 Damandred

Damandred

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

ok, we thought so and played it that way, but just wanted to make sure.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

Damandred said:

ok, we thought so and played it that way, but just wanted to make sure.

Strategy side note: it used to be the correct play at least some of the time to hold on to Force Choke until the combat phase in that situation (if they had a guardian to play, they likely would have played it first). With Old Ben's Spirit around, you should now force choke Han or Yoda immediately when Vader is on table unless your opponent has no resources left and no In You Must Go.

#6 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

On OCTGN, I prep "Action" in chat when I think this might happen, then hit enter if the situation comes up. IRL it should always go reveal the card you want to play, focus resources- that allows time for an action from the oponent and is technically how the phase should work. In theory if there was an interrupt that happened at the right time you could destroy a resource generating card after a card was revealed but before it was payed for and prevent it from being played. I don't think this can happen with the available cards though.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS