Looking for Droids

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

So when I first saw this pack, I made fun of it alot.  It seemed really terrible.  But I've started playing seriously in decks, with pretty decent results.

The objective itself is nothing special.  But it's also not terrible.  It produces 1, has 5 damage capacity, and can not resource screw you, no matter what.  That's better than I can say of some other pack's objective.  Emperor Web, I'm looking in your direction.

The Viper Probe Droids look unimpressive at first glance.  But against control deck, being able to keep bringing them back no matter how many times they kill them can be amazing.  And my absolute favorite play is discarding them durring the draw phase so I can draw an extra card.  And two damage unopposed is nothing to sneeze at, and pretty much forces an opponent to not ignore them, letting your more important units face better odds at later engagements.

Dark Alliance is pretty much worthless.  But for being so worthless, it still can be useful.  2 force pips in an edge battle is pretty decent for any card, and being able to cycle them out of my hand for free in my refresh phase so I can draw extra cards means it will never be stuck in my hand at the wrong moment.  Also, it has a picture of stormtroopers on it, and stormtroopers are awesome.

It's Worse is actually amazing.  It just ruins Han Solo's and C3PO's day, counters enemy counterspells, and lightsaber deflections to boot.  Run it in a deck with the Navy Vader and have Imperial supression in hand to back it up and you're pretty much gaurenteed to either get your most important event card to work, or to stop what ever trick you opponent was counting dead in it's tracks.  All of a sudden commiting that jedi they were sure was safe became a terrible idea.  It's also fun to swarm the board with 2 cost probe droids from both packs that your opponent has disincentives to kill off.

I have this feeling that Looking for Droids + Navy Vader + General Veers + Endor Gambit + ATAT Walkers will be a force to be reconded with once the whole Hoth Cycle is out.  As it is, Han Solo + Jedi no longer crushes my trooper deck everytime.

#2 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I just built a deck with it today. It went 1 and 1, so nothing special. My particular build was testing the extreme of having multiple affiliations. I had no problem in either game matching, and I can confirm It's Worse it awesome.

Welcome to the machine!

#3 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

It's Worse is good against Old Ben's Spirit as well. I just wish the pod was a bit more useful.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

I like it with Killing Cold for good sacrifice targets in the Viper Probe Droids. Once the Executor set comes out, I think this deck could move from not-too-shabby to actually good: Killing Cold x2 Lord Vader's Command x2 Looking for Droids x2 Imperial Command x2 Executor x2 (currently running it with Espo Troopers and wampas instead of Executor) (Sorry for the horrible formatting. For some reason, when I post from my phone the forums ignore my line breaks…)

#5 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

playtesting this now:

Scum & villiany

Looking for droids x2

Bespin exchange x2

Jabbas orders x2

cruel interrogations x2

take them prisoner x2

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#6 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

That looks like a pile but lmk how it's working out as it's certainly looks different.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#7 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

JMCB said:

That looks like a pile but lmk how it's working out as it's certainly looks different.

of course its playtesting, so without seeing more cards from the SoS expansion, it is fragile. I am able to play all cards and use the sandcrawler to play the droids as needed. I am capturing cards, approximately 3-4 cards a game (one time I had 2 loyalists and 2 protectors).

Is it top tier? not yet. i just printed out some copies and wanted to try it out. Fett will be a beast once he gets more support, and once they showed more S&V cards I saw an opportunity. Maybe there will be a neutral set in SoS to help too.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#8 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

oh my god, I didn't think of that 

#9 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Rogue 4 said:

JMCB said:

of course its playtesting, so without seeing more cards from the SoS expansion, it is fragile. I am able to play all cards and use the sandcrawler to play the droids as needed. I am capturing cards, approximately 3-4 cards a game (one time I had 2 loyalists and 2 protectors).

Is it top tier? not yet. i just printed out some copies and wanted to try it out. Fett will be a beast once he gets more support, and once they showed more S&V cards I saw an opportunity. Maybe there will be a neutral set in SoS to help too.

why cruel interogatiions?  moti pack seems like it would help the deck more than 2 more look at cards.

#10 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

ZombieTonyBlair said:

oh my god, I didn't think of that 

hitting old ben's spirit with it's worse

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

Rogue 4 said:

playtesting this now:

Scum & villiany

Looking for droids x2

Bespin exchange x2

Jabbas orders x2

cruel interrogations x2

take them prisoner x2

I've been thinking of something along the same lines. I don't do proxies, though, so I'll have to wait to try some things out. I still feel like Fett isn't well-supported with the new cards. What I like about this deck, though, is having a really good chance of opening the game with 2-cost Weequay Elites. You could soup them up with Mandalorian armor and Blaster Pistols too. That could be scary. But I'm leaning more towards The Emperor's Web to get the Emperor's Royal Guard Protect ability. Either way, you want to get your Weequay out there and keep them alive. Cruel Interrogations is nice in that way because your ISB interrogators can shield your Weequays so they don't get pinned by tactics if you lose the edge.

Referring to the main topic though, I haven' had a lot of success with Looking For Droids. I love It's Worse, but I find I get so gummed up with Dark Alliance that I don't have enoug units to play from my hand. And when I finally get It's Worse, I find I'm often in a position where I need to throw it in the edge battle. It's hard to hold onto that card and wait for the right time to play it. Plus, that meddling C-3PO seems ever-ready to cancel It's Worse. With the one strong card in the set being so fickle, it's hard to want to take the extra baggage that comes with it.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Dark Allaince makes perfect edge cards.  I find "It's Worse" is usually best for the surprise of canceling C3P0 ability when you play another event card.

#13 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

Rogue 4 said:

playtesting this now:

Scum & villiany

Looking for droids x2

Bespin exchange x2

Jabbas orders x2

cruel interrogations x2

take them prisoner x2

This deck blows. Boba Fett looks like he can not be used until Edge of Darkness. Even the new S&V pod is not great (yet). The Imp Navy pod is waaaaaay better.

Trying some changes by adding Counsel and Fall of Jedi and taking out Take them prisoners and Looking for Droids. Well comment later about whether that is more effective.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS