Photo

Could FFG handle a kickstarter to put out products for this game?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

For example:  the elf project has been in demand for..oh…30 years or so..  Couldn't they fund a designer and POD for such a thing with a kickstarter so that it paid for itself?

I'd also like to see another super-scenario like TEW.

jh

#2 Apollwn

Apollwn

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Emirikol said:

For example:  the elf project has been in demand for..oh…30 years or so..  Couldn't they fund a designer and POD for such a thing with a kickstarter so that it paid for itself?

I'd also like to see another super-scenario like TEW.

jh

I totally agree, especially with the TEW thing, but even more than an elf project I would love to see a bretonnian one :)

#3 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Oh GOOD LORD !!!  Let's see if they can create a set of dice first!,..   and then maybe work on some way to address the mess that is the "introduction" to  WFRP3e.  

If I see one more post that states something to the effect of: "I am really interested in this game and I have been looking into what to get, but I don't have a clue. Could someone here tell me what to buy first? Exactly what is the best way into this game?" I think blood will begin shooting out of my eyeballs!

It isn't the player that I get upset with AT ALL mind you. It is the inability for this company to create what would be  a VERY EASY fix to many of the issues this game currently has.

Don't get me wrong,.. I LOVE WFRP3e, but it was an absolute nightmare to get "settled" into it. A massive learning curve. Not in the sense of the mechanic or the rules, but simply due to the blunder that was the "play without bits" books,..( which NO ONE I have ever spoken with about the game says they do anyway), the lack of communication to their customers on a myriad of issues, NO links to the amazing fan based stuff out there, etc, etc.

Beginner Box Please FFG! 

Would the seasoned Pros gobble up every bit of a Begginer Box?,.. NO, but they don't do that already with the stuff that has been released thus far ?? How many GMs are using fighting styles, or party cards ?? Hmmm??   It sould sell to existing players for the campaign, the new careers, the new action cards,  THE DICE etc, etc, and would SOLVE, once and for all the posts that seem to come up at least every two weeks or so,.. not to mention ALL those potential players that never made it as far as the forums here, that might just have plopped down 30 buck at the game store for a Begginer Box without having to ask all the questions due to the core set seemingly high price.

To offer a compromise:  Maybe the beginner Box could be somewhat Elf oriented ??  complice

Please don't think I am jumping on you Emirikol. I just think FFG, as a company, has MUCH bigger fish to fry when it comes to WFRP3e that could or should take priority over a kickstarter Elf set.

Like maybe having some dice to actually play the game with would be a good start. Let's see if that can happen first,…  (as the immortal Bob played by Bill Murray would say, "baby steps, baby steps,..")

#4 Jicey

Jicey

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

I agree that a beginner box would be great.

Here in France we've had the translation only last year, and there's a lot of questions about "what should I buy".

Regarding dice:

If worse come to worse, you'll be able to get dice from Europe in two months time.

Several european countries have translated less than half the W3 products, so the lack of dice is threatening to kill the game before european editors can get a decent return on their licensing agreement. So I understand that they have banded together to produce their own dice set (independantly from FFG). It is in production right now (in China) and we (the european players) have been told to expect it to be available in about 2 months time.

European players have been queried about what should be the ideal 12-dice set. So this set will have a different dice composition: 3 blue, 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow, 2 white, 2 black, 2 purple.

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

Customer service has been giving the same line apesta over and over and over that dice are just around the corner.    If the European distributors [see above]….  oh well….

#6 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I think a Kickstarter would actually be a great idea. It's a fantastic way to really gauge what the market for WFRP really is.  I think the game is great, and I think a lot of other people do as well. A Kickstarter project would really help show Fantasy Flight whether this is true. Fantastic idea.

#7 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

OMG!!!!  I'm in!!!  Especially with the TEW part!  I would love to see another epic sized campaign, maybe even the storm of chaos.  1) hope this happens for real!  2) hope this is posted on this site so I can join!

#8 OctoLux

OctoLux

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

errr… I do.

Using fighting styles and Party cards. Sorry.

And I find the Player and Gamemaster Guide one of the best products fr WFRP…. Like THAT should have been in the corebox. AT LEAST.

Ah well..

but another campaign and DICEs wouldbe cool.

I am especially interested about this "alternative dice sets" info, where did you get that?

Cheers

Olaf

#9 Jicey

Jicey

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

OctoLux said:

I am especially interested about this "alternative dice sets" info, where did you get that?

That's from the French/Spanish publisher for W3, EDGE, on their forum (http://www.edgeent.c...=5&efidt=201085).

The guy (Sandy Julien) who asked players about what would be their "ideal" 12-dice pack is the guy in charge of RPGs at Edge.

It could come as a shock to US FFG customers, but in France the publisher talks to customers on the forum !  complice

#10 Tamhas

Tamhas

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

been a pain:

FFG should actually fire his marketing manager (if they actually got one). Why? One of the principles today marketing is: "Give a customer orientation", which is translated as "Don't guess what the customer wants, don't focus on your product, focus on them, ask them". So, if the gamers have been asking for dice packages, should you ignore them? (even though, as they made the app for that, it is quite different as for actually rolling the die!). Should you ignore the forum where they can actually place ideas (which several have been quite good, others, not so much), or should you take them into account?

but well, what can we do.

I would support a kickstarter project for WFRP, and i have to play online, 'cause i don't have player!!

#11 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Tamhas said:

FFG should actually fire his marketing manager (if they actually got one). Why? One of the principles today marketing is: "Give a customer orientation", which is translated as "Don't guess what the customer wants, don't focus on your product, focus on them, ask them". So, if the gamers have been asking for dice packages, should you ignore them? (even though, as they made the app for that, it is quite different as for actually rolling the die!). Should you ignore the forum where they can actually place ideas (which several have been quite good, others, not so much), or should you take them into account?

As I explained in another thread: just because people are demanding more dice doesn't mean that it would be profitable for FFG to make them. FFG have a good idea as to how many dice sets they could sell (this being determined by demand from distributors). If there was sufficient demand then you can bet they'd make more.

#12 Jicey

Jicey

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

macd21 said:

just because people are demanding more dice doesn't mean that it would be profitable for FFG to make them. 

True.

But what is the cost in term of bad publicity ?

This dice story is going to haunt them back with Star Wars EoE.

#13 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't mean to be contradictory Mac, but I don't think FFG has a clue as to how many they might sell. A guess perhaps, but not a clue.

What leads me to this assumption?

Their history with this line. That's what.

They screwed the pooch on the release, and messed up again on the "fix" for it. They are quiet as a church mouse on the forums, and have done nothing, that I have seen, to put forward ANY attempt to expand the player base of WFRP3e. 

THAT is one of the main issues, imho, that this game has, a lack of players. And I don't believe it is the mechanics or the "fiddly bits" that are holding it back. I believe it is a seemingly lack luster, who gives a crap if we sell anymore of this Warhammer Roleplay stuff attitude. "We had the sale, the warehouse is close to empty, and we aren't going to spend anymore resources on it."  

To not have dice, that are REQUIRED to play the game, available for as long as these dice have been unavailable is a flat out embarrassment for this company. What makes matters even worse is that they have a whole spiel on "Play the game without the fiddly bits, old school style, with books and charts and paper and DICE!!"  HAHAhahaha,.. I mean,.. it really is kinda funny,. in a "funny too bad" kinda way.  

Please don't get me wrong,.. I am NOT some FFG hater,. quite the contrary. 80% of my game collection is FFG product. It feels like WFRP3e is the red headed stepchild at this point. If I didn't like the game I wouldn't care, but I do like the game. I think it is the BEST mechanic out there for Roleplay. 

This game deserves a re focused and poiniant explaination of what it actually is.

It deserves a Beginner Box that is solely focused on taking a player from total newb DIRECTLY to the Core Set.

It deserves what should have been done in the first place and that is: Remove the Core Set Rulebook. Throw it in the trash where it belongs, scale down the Hardcover Rulebook and include IT in the Core Set.

It deserves a proper player database that is organized and partly managed by the game publisher. ( This one is NOT that hard at ALL!  I KNOW their are a lot more people that have purchased WFRP3e form my local game stores,.. BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM!  thanks to a total lack of company supported database organization or promotion.

Bottom Line: This brilliant game deserves better than what it is getting,…. 

Now if what you say regarding supply and demand is true, then we wouldn't see dice packs selling for $49.  A "no demand" dice pack would sell for a little above retail rate,.. but there IS a demand, otherwise you would not see them for 49 buckarinos…  

Which leads me to my third point. If, as you say, FFG doesn't think they can make money off manufacturing additional dice sets, then offer to sub it out to someone that does!!!!!   Let them make them, sign paperwork stating you won't sue the crap out of them, and it's WIN WIN. FFG doesn't have to "lose" money, another company gets to make a little money, and the game continues to be "supported" for the players and fans that have already invested heavily into it,…       problem solved,…   

#14 Tamhas

Tamhas

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:50 AM

macd21 said:

Tamhas said:

As I explained in another thread: just because people are demanding more dice doesn't mean that it would be profitable for FFG to make them. FFG have a good idea as to how many dice sets they could sell (this being determined by demand from distributors). If there was sufficient demand then you can bet they'd make more.

But the basic stands: They made this three hard cover books to avoid buying the rulebox, which it happens to need what? DICE!

Anyway, my post was more oriented as to listening to the customer. I'm not in the whining end, as I don't have players to play with (shame!) but I really like the system. As you stated, people demanding things doesn't mean people are going to buy them, BUT, having a healthy communication line with your customers gives you a line of thought to what to do next. Is the game dead? (No, it isn't), Does the game needs more support to aquire more players? (Probably), Is there resistance to the new ruleset (somewhat, at least, that's the main argument of my players), what to do to change this? is there another part of the world that could get a campaign? (YES! lots of them!) and so on. The thing is, KNOWING what your customer wants is way different as to GUESSING what your customer wants.

So the main issue is:

1.- How to increase the customer pool

2.- How to make happy or happier the current customers.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS