Photo

Over 100 Point Games: Would you want this to be the norm?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Title speaks for itself.  Do you want the total to increase?  Do you think it *will* increase?  Personally, I wouldn't mind  a slight increase, but only if they increase production of the units.

#2 Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

IMO 100 points is just fine.  I think any more than that will only cause tournament matches to end in less full wins and will cause players to rush each turn too much.  Also, swarm players will have even more ships to navigate which would add more time to each turn.  I think 100 points is the sweet spot, at least for now.  Again, just my outlook.   

#3 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

The only problem I can see is the time it takes to play a 100+ point game. I play them by myself and it takes some time to finish but since it’s just me I can walk away from the game and come back to it later. That is if my wife is not hollering at me to pick up my toys.

#4 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

I got my girlfriend into the game but she says it seems to take too long at 100 points, so we might bump casual pickup matches down to 50 points? But I don't think over 100 points will be a norm for standard matches. 100 points is fine.

#5 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'd like to see 104 points.  That still caps the max squad size at 8 TIEs or 4 X/Y-Wings, but gives a little more flavour options with upgrades.

#6 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

I like 100+ games. But i agree they are not best for tournaments. But 100+ do have more of that star warsy feel. And yes they take a lot of time.

#7 extecy

extecy

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

i think tournament matches it would it be on 100 point maybe quick matches whith lower counts 

but for fun missions i think epic battles are very funny

maybe on cons player could play against original star destroyer (6m) with custom round rules and a lot of time ^^

me self work work on a 500vs500 point battle

#8 commuterzombie

commuterzombie

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

I think 100 points hits that sweet spot between allowing variety of builds but manageable game times. Dropping to 50 points for quicker games and going to 150+ points for epic or team games is fun too, but I don't think it's a viable option for 'the norm'.

#9 extecy

extecy

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

extecy said:

i think tournament matches it would it be on 100 point maybe quick matches whith lower counts 

but for fun missions i think epic battles are very funny

maybe on cons player could play against original star destroyer (6m) with custom round rules and a lot of time ^^

me self work work on a 500vs500 point battle

i mean 500vs500 with more players ^^ but you can only bring 3-4 ships on table

a stable wing squad its easy to managed in a big battle and its kind of fun to work with your team mates

a bomb ship with hunter wingmate is not a stable squad ^^ you need a team mate for the support 

more kind of its real is in star wars

one player plays red wing other gold other green … one plays the falkon solo
imps plays tie one tie interceptor one slave maybe advanced options …

than you play 8vs 8 players ore so …

#10 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

RedWilde said:

I'd like to see 104 points.  That still caps the max squad size at 8 TIEs or 4 X/Y-Wings, but gives a little more flavour options with upgrades.

I agree that 100 isn't quite the sweet spot. For rebels it seems to give them either 3 overly upgraded ships or 4 too-basic ones. I would prefer 110 points. I think that would open up a lot more interesting options tot he Rebels.

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 100,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#11 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Leave it alone.  Tourny games would be to long. 

#12 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

The question should have two parts: 1. 100 points enough for tournaments? 2. 100 points enough for casual play?

1. I see a ton of questions always geared towards tournament play.  Honestly if this game continues to be focused on tournament play, I will likely drop it like a rock.  I like to play a game for fun, not for competition.  All too often we see players (ahem… GW) who are soley focused on tournaments and forget it is supposed to be about fun.  They make the game not fun for the rest of us.

100 points seems fine for tournaments.  I played in two KRT's and won one of them.  Some evenst are fine but again I do not want to see the game focused on that.

2.  For causal games we regularly play in excess of 100 points.  Last weekend it was 180 points per side.  Typical levels range between 100-300 points per side for our games.  The games are usually scenario based and last about two hours, not including set-up and clean-up.

Enimo Et Fide

#13 esmolinski

esmolinski

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

DoubleNot7 said:

2.  For causal games we regularly play in excess of 100 points.  Last weekend it was 180 points per side.  Typical levels range between 100-300 points per side for our games.  The games are usually scenario based and last about two hours, not including set-up and clean-up.

Just a quick question regarding the 300 point games you play. How is congestion on the tabletop? I've played a couple of casual 150 point games with asteroids, and the main battle area got congested pretty quick.

#14 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

The problem for me is not the points, but the obsession with finishing a single game in an hour.  Every game is somewhat "rushed", which gets a bit annoying.

To compare to 40k, which is still by far the most popular miniature game around, there is no reason to be so stuck on that time limit.  Give players 1 1/2 hours, or 2 hours, to finish a game.  If they finish sooner they can (gasp) go the restroom or buy themselves a drink, but the good hard-fought games have enough time to come to a satisfying conclusion.  As it is, the better / more hardfought the game the less likely I am to finish it, which gets annoying.  We don't have to get into weekend long marathons if we don't want to, but we don't have to wait to start until 1pm and still insist on being done by 5.

#15 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

I like 75 - 100 - 125, I think for small, medium, large.  (I've played more 75 point games than 125 point games, but I think the 25 point increment holds).

Swarm wise, you don't end up with substantially different numbers at 125 than 100: 10 Academy Pilots vs 5 X-Wings, but it really ends up with a sweet spot for upgrades.  You can bring those 5 X-Wings, but you have 20 points for upgrades on them.  125 points is also just low enough to prevent 4 bounty hunters or 3 Falcons (chewie, lando, and han).  

As for tournaments, you should look to other minis games for tournament times.  Warmachine has 90 minutes or more, 40k has 120 minutes or more - there is no reason to keep X-Wing to 60 minutes.  I'd love to go to a 125 point tournament with 90 minute rounds.

#16 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Actually, 75 minutes is the reccomended tournament round, and I greatly prefer that.  60 and 90 are allowed.  60 is too scrunched.

#17 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

esmolinski said:

DoubleNot7 said:

Just a quick question regarding the 300 point games you play. How is congestion on the tabletop? I've played a couple of casual 150 point games with asteroids, and the main battle area got congested pretty quick.

We almost always have asteroids and sometimes planets on the board.  Then again, our normal table size is 4' x 6'.

Enimo Et Fide

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS