Photo

Buying Supplements That Don't Avoid the "Fiddly Bits" in the Core Set? (Help and Advice for the New Guy!)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Lang

Fred Lang

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I've had the Core Set for a few days and I LOVE the "fiddly bits" that the game makes use of, but I've noticed that some of the supplements seem to suggest in their descriptions that they are handy for "playing the game in a more traditional way [without the "fiddly bits" I love so much]".

I can certainly appreciate why FFG would want to market to the more traditional playstyle, but I don't want to purchase supplements that avoid the very thing I love most about WHFR3.

Is there a handy list online that will let me know which supplements MOST fall into the category of "remaining true to the Core Set" with regard to using more cards, tokens, etc. etc. rather than ways to escape them?

If all of the supplements are partially dedicated to "traditional" play, that's fine.  No problems there.  I just don't want to invest in game materials that take me further from the Core Set's magic rather than closer.

I really, really do appreciate any helpful responses, all.  I'm in love with the game, and I'm happy to chunk down some cash for more of it.  I just need to know where to head.

/salute!

--Fred

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

They've all got bits except for the guide hardcovers and the PDFs.

Welcome to the group!  :)

jh

#3 Fred Lang

Fred Lang

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Emirikol said:

They've all got bits except for the guide hardcovers and the PDFs.

Welcome to the group!  :)

jh

Thanks--so no real benefit from the hardcovers if you're a lover of the bits?  (And thanks for the reply!)

#4 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

I have the hardcovers as they are more useful for looking up the rules (plus I have been an obsessive completist over the three editions!) but other than that - no real benifit from your standpoint. 
I agree with you - I love the bits (including talent slots and party cards - imo the least understand and used "bit" amongst GMs but the one that I use to keep my rowdy and sometimes intoxicated gaming crew on task). The bits are what makes the game hum along and go smoothly in encounter mode - master the bits and accounting and the fun happens in the dice, recharge and card use - keep the PCs using cards and rolling dice and be creative with the outcomes and you have a fun night with your mates!

You definately want both the magic and divine boxes, Hero's Call, and Omens of War. Basically - you really want it all, so just start there and get one a month until you have the whole deal! 

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

For reference, the hardcovers are indispensable. I absolutely LOVE the player's guide.  The GMs guide is redundant if you already have all the boxed sets and doesn't really have anything that you would ever need to reference (unlike players guide and creature guide).  The creature guide is helpful but terribly laid out and you need a download of the fan-recommended monster actions.

Trust me, you'll get tired of sorting your bits so start with album pages for all of your cards ASAP.  All the chits can go in one box (I recommend one of the vaults or the box from the adv. toolkit.)   Put all of your player stand ups in one zyplock and all the monsters in another.  For the 4x5" sheet-cards you'll need card album pages for that size.  I recommend /not/ punching out any components from the scenario boxed sets until you are ready to run the scenario.  Once you do, put them in their OWN zyplocks.  Store your zyplocks in the Core boxed set.

http://www.bhphotovi...EG&A=details&Q=

The hardcovers then are handy when you want to look up the abilities of a PC without having to sort through 80000,000000,00000000,000000000 cards jumbled about :)

jh

#6 Fred Lang

Fred Lang

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

Yep, I picked up the Player's Guide and Creature Guide from Amazon just to look….and it looks like I'll be a 3E "Completer".  *haha*

So much for my desire to stick with only the boxes…I love the books as well.  Useful, and some expanded definitions and clarifications that are great for first-timers as well.

Take my money, FFG….!

(And super thanks to everyone who responded.  Very helpful and friendly, all o' ya!)

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

I'm VERY satisfied with the players guide.  Just to keep it all in one spot, I photocopied my Lure of Power and Omens of War cards and stuck the pages in the back of the Players Guide so I don't have to reference back to the cards.  Its nice to have it all in one spot.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS