So I will play in a RT Campaign soon and I studied to books. So far I most things are pretty clear rules-wise. But since I never played Rogue Trader before I lack the expierience to determine if some things are worth or feasable in the game. My Questions are more or less focused on Ship Design, but since I don't know how many SP we will get, they are mostly of a theoretical nature.
1. How importent is Speed, more specific: Can a too high Speed hinder your potential in Spip Combat? Seeing that you have to move half Speed, I imagine it would be rather hard for a Speed 11 ship to stay behind a Speed 4 Cruiser, but I don't really know if that is really an issue.
2. How "common" are Archaeotech Components? Is it rather normal to start with 1-2 Archaeotech Components (seeing that the RT Example Ship has one) or are that more the exception than the norm? (strictly speaking of PC Ships)
3. I played arround with designing some ships, but it seems to me, that a smaller ship like a raiders or the smaller frigates have barely room left after essential components and weapons, even when opting for some low quality parts. Imho is an modified Archaeotech Engine pretty much a must-have because of the Space-Cost reduction. Other than putting in mostly "good" or best Craftmanship parts, I don't have Space or Power for some sublemental components.
4. Are Lances worth the huge power+space cost in smaller ships? the technicly fit in a raider, but I would like to have some room for additional stuff.
6. How usefull are Landing Bays/Small Crafts in the game? How difficult are they to maintain, since I ruled out Torpedoes due to their ammo availbility.
5. Are there any must-have components?
We are probable playing in the Koronus Expanse probably in uncharted Space, starting off as an Explosion out of the Laboratories killed the Rogue Trader and most of his senior officers while they were studiing some xenos artefact. Now the on board Heir+friends(PCs) must take over unexpecteted and carry on with the family buisness. AFAIK will the game fokus on exploration of uncharted space, maybe founding of a colony, but I want a ship that can stand on its own in a fight.
My preferred Ships Hulls as of now are:
Orion Star Clipper (the low SP solution)
Meritech/Havoc Privateer Raider
Ambition Cruiser (High SP Solution and considering it costs as much a a Seclutor Light Cruiser, I rather take the "real" cruiser and I really like the fluff here)
are there other worthwile Ships Hulls I should look at?