some thrid wave and third Faction musing

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Germaniac

Germaniac

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I said it some days ago already in another thread, but I'd like to talk about it with everybody:

What we have

We have our already known two factions:

Rebels: X-Wing, A-Wing, [YT] and [Y-Wing]

Imps: Tie's and [Firespray]

possible new Faction

Why the [..]? Because these Ships are not dedicated Ships just for that Faction. YTs, Firesprays and Y-Wings could also be operated by Scum like Smugglers, Black Sun, Nounty Hunters , etc.

possible new Ships

I'd say it's pretty sure that wave three will contain the Tie Bomber and the B-Wing, maybe a Lambda Shuttle and … what else? Regarding the canon, excluding the EU there is not much left. But if, and thats just me spinning thoughts, they'd make a z-95 Headhunter as cheap Rebel swarmer?

How it could come together

With said headhunter, they also could make a thrid faction by just brining out a cardset full of "Scum" Pilots for YT, Y-Wing, Firespray and Headhunters, which would be a great way of adding value by using existing stuff. If they want to put a cherry on top of that, they could bring out the existing ships in a slightly differnt paint scheme, without the whole process of developing new ship models, molds, production process etcpp.

As I said: that's just some musing, and won't happen, but I'd like to discuss it nontheless.

#2 commuterzombie

commuterzombie

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

I'd like to see the B-Wing, TIE Bomber, Z-95 and TIE Defender in Wave 3. Here's what I think they'd bring:

B-Wing

Some of the fluff talks about this craft being modular, you could give it a Secondary cannon slot (as with the Firespray) and either two torp slots or a torp AND missile slot. Both options allow the rebels to field something that they haven't before.

Z-95

Gives the  rebels a 16 point or less fighter to allow 6-7 rebel ship lists.

TIE Bomber

Could have 2 missile/torp slots or 1 of each and a bomb slot. That would give Imperial players new options to deal with swarms in the mirror match or the YT-1300.

TIE Defender

Gives the Imperials an expensive, agile fighter that packs a serious punch. Basic TIE defenders would have to be 28-32 points to live up to their performance in the old Xwing computer game series.

I can't think of any interesting medium/large ships - even a Corellian Corvette would be too huge to work at this scale and freighter like Lady Luck and the Outrider just don't get me as interested as the 4 fighter choices above.

What unique pilot abilites/upgrades would people like to see?

#3 Germaniac

Germaniac

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hi Zombie,

thank you for your input, but my intention was not to start another "what's wave 3" thread. There are one, or more, Threads discussing that at length .

I'd like to talk more somekind of "Where can FFG go from here?" discussion with possible factions etc, because what's there to do after wave 3? :) the other threads mentioned afaik, for example, that the EU is not part of tte rights FFG purcheased and therefore Defenders etc. are, more or less, off the table.

So what can we do with Epsiodes 4-6 regarding, Factions, other Ships and maybe terrain like the new tiles. Turolaser Turrets, Cardboard Templates for big ships to use them on… (although the big ships are, also, discussed in another thread)

I can't think of any interesting medium/large ships - even a Corellian Corvette would be too huge to work at this scale and freighter like Lady Luck and the Outrider just don't get me as interested as the 4 fighter choices above.

What unique pilot abilites/upgrades would people like to see?

That, on the other hand, is a good point: I'd love to see cheaper Y-Wings for my, non existant, thrid faction for example. Maybe, Y-Wings without shields, due to bad maintainance, but with abilities like "hiding between asteroids" due to their pirate fighting style.

Or Blasterturrets for the Y's, or some more shipmodifications that add fluff and tactical value, maybe:

"reduced armour" Y-Wing looses 2 Hull - gains 1 Agility X Points

or negativ modifications:

"battle worn" Ship looses 1 Hull - -Y(!) Points

#4 commuterzombie

commuterzombie

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Oh, sorry, I kind of grabbed the wrong end of the stick there!

In terms of "where do we go from here?" new factions could be a Hutt/pirate/smuggler faction that could use craft like 'Uglies' from the Rogue/Wraith Squadron books or the Yuuzhan Vong craft or even the Chiss fighters from later in the EU universe. There's quite a lot of stuff in the EU to dig into, I think that they have to consider what would be fun to play though. 

#5 Germaniac

Germaniac

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

commuterzombie said:

In terms of "where do we go from here?" new factions could be a Hutt/pirate/smuggler faction that could use craft like 'Uglies' from the Rogue/Wraith Squadron books or the Yuuzhan Vong craft or even the Chiss fighters from later in the EU universe. There's quite a lot of stuff in the EU to dig into, I think that they have to consider what would be fun to play though. 

Germaniac said:

(…) afaik, for example, that the EU is not part of tte rights FFG purcheased and therefore Defenders etc. are, more or less, off the table.

I guess that's, not gonna happen :) But uglies would be another possible direction.

Although I'm wondering if all Ideas fans came up with are completly wrong and they do something completly different, like purcheasing rights for Episode 1-3 which will give them a whole new batch of possible ships (and more I think. I'd guess there are more different fighter types in 1-3/clone wars than in 4-6)

#6 commuterzombie

commuterzombie

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

FFG clearly have *some* rights to EU material as pilots like Marek Steele, Baron Soontir Fel etc. are from the EU. 

Whether or not they have rights to ships from the EU is another matter I guess, but it wouldn't be unusual for them to negotiate for more rights on the back of a successful product launch. That would open the door to Yuuzhan Vong ships, ships from the Xwing/TIE fighter series of games, ships like the E-wing from Dark Empire and then there's the dubious joy of including ships from the prequel.

#7 Germaniac

Germaniac

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

Oh right! i totally forgot that Marek Steele is from Tie Fighter, that could open the doors to the Tie Def and the Assault Boat. Although I'd prefer the computer games stuff from the book stuff. But thats just my personal preference, due to my dislike of the Books based EU

#8 esmolinski

esmolinski

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

I was personally hoping they would come out with a non random, very specific booster pack(s) for each ship. I would like to see a bigger variety of pilots. In my ideal world it would come with 2 pilots, with whatever tokens the ship currently comes with, and specific upgrade cards for the given ship type. This would cut down on cost to make the miniature itself, but also keep the game fresh.

#9 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I honestly think that after Wave Three ( I still cast my bets on B-Wing, TIE Bomber, Lambda and 'turtleship'), there will be a hiatus and FFG will reboot with Prequel stuff.

Clone Wars is where the big money is; lots of variety. Classic Trilogy gets in the big fans, but the reasonable options are very limited. Clone Wars has an almost limitless array. So, Wave Four? I'll stick my neck out there and say Aethersprite, N-1, twofer Vulture Droid and… shoot. Tri-fighter? Geonosian fighter? Techno-Union? It's gotta be two Light, two Dark - with relative balance.

#10 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

What would a third faction bring to gameplay?

And how would that third faction be balanced against the Quantity vs Quality presently in the game?

Why bring a Third Faction into the game instead of putting the ships in the two existing factions?

Please be more specific than just "because it's thematic".

"that the EU is not part of tte rights FFG purcheased and therefore Defenders etc. are, more or less, off the table."

Incorrect. Current rumor is that FFG has access to OT + EU, but not the prequels (at least in miniatures form). Speaking for myself I'd be tremendously disappointed if FFG would never depict my favorite fighters.

#11 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Most of the hardcore Clone Wars fans are kids who don't have the kind of money to spend that this game requires.  Marketing a game like this towards them makes no sense.  Besides, Disney has been very clear in distancing itself from the era before the OT.  They want people looking ahead when it comes to Star Wars, not back.  Or at least, not any further back than the OT.

I'm still thinking we'll see some ships referenced in Edge of the Empire.  By the time Wave 3 likely comes out, the core book will be on the shelves.  Gotta love that synnergy.

#12 esmolinski

esmolinski

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

DailyRich said:

Most of the hardcore Clone Wars fans are kids who don't have the kind of money to spend that this game requires.  Marketing a game like this towards them makes no sense.  Besides, Disney has been very clear in distancing itself from the era before the OT.  They want people looking ahead when it comes to Star Wars, not back.  Or at least, not any further back than the OT.

I'm still thinking we'll see some ships referenced in Edge of the Empire.  By the time Wave 3 likely comes out, the core book will be on the shelves.  Gotta love that synnergy.

I'm a hardcore Clone Wars fan, who is not a kid, and does have the kind of money to spend that this gam requires :)

Just out of curiosity, is your statement about Disney distancing itself from the era before the OT accurate or personal belief? I've been to a Star Wars Disney Weekend and there were definitely clones and multiple jedi everywhere.

#13 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

esmolinski said:

Just out of curiosity, is your statement about Disney distancing itself from the era before the OT accurate or personal belief? I've been to a Star Wars Disney Weekend and there were definitely clones and multiple jedi everywhere.

This was the stated reason behind the cancelation of the Clone Wars animated series.  About as direct as you can get these days.

#14 esmolinski

esmolinski

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Buhallin said:

esmolinski said:

This was the stated reason behind the cancelation of the Clone Wars animated series.  About as direct as you can get these days.

http://starwars.com/...-animation.html

That is the statement from Disney. Nowhere does it say it was canceling the show to distance itself from the era prior to the original trilogy. They also stopped production on another cartoon, that if you look at the clip included is clearly of the OT. The official statement also says they are developing a series currently untouched by the Star Wars Universe. My personal belief is this would be prior to OT, This is my opinion, not fact. So again I ask the question where does it say Disney is distancing itself from the era before the OT?

#15 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

Uhm…  It's pretty much the first sentence in your own link:

"As we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy"

You can quibble over whether that qualifies as "distancing" itself from the prequel era, but I don't know how you can read that as anything but moving the focus and all current efforts back to the post-GCW timeline.

Clone Wars was still doing well, ratings were good and both fan and critical reception was very positive.  As a standalone decision, canceling it makes little sense.  In the context of pushing towards the new movies, which are going to connect to the original trilogy far more than the prequels, it seems a perfectly reasonable strategic move.

As for the cancellation of Reclamation (which hasn't been confirmed to be real), the leaked concept seems tied to the 1313 video game, and does a lot of broad universe-building.  Since it was apparently little more than the concept stage, it's not hard to see Disney canceling it while they (and Abrahms) figure out what they want the universe to look like, rather than treading on that.  If nothing else, the inclusion of Lando's daughter raises the question of conflicts with the new ones going forward.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Clone Wars too.  But I think Disney has a single focus for the near future: building everything towards the new trilogy, and more importantly, THEIR new trilogy.  Lots of focus on the prequel era doesn't serve that end at all.

#16 esmolinski

esmolinski

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Buhallin said:

Uhm…  It's pretty much the first sentence in your own link:

"As we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy"

You can quibble over whether that qualifies as "distancing" itself from the prequel era, but I don't know how you can read that as anything but moving the focus and all current efforts back to the post-GCW timeline.

Clone Wars was still doing well, ratings were good and both fan and critical reception was very positive.  As a standalone decision, canceling it makes little sense.  In the context of pushing towards the new movies, which are going to connect to the original trilogy far more than the prequels, it seems a perfectly reasonable strategic move.

As for the cancellation of Reclamation (which hasn't been confirmed to be real), the leaked concept seems tied to the 1313 video game, and does a lot of broad universe-building.  Since it was apparently little more than the concept stage, it's not hard to see Disney canceling it while they (and Abrahms) figure out what they want the universe to look like, rather than treading on that.  If nothing else, the inclusion of Lando's daughter raises the question of conflicts with the new ones going forward.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Clone Wars too.  But I think Disney has a single focus for the near future: building everything towards the new trilogy, and more importantly, THEIR new trilogy.  Lots of focus on the prequel era doesn't serve that end at all.

… and here I thought the first line meant Disney did not want to pay the high production cost and did not like the dwindling ratings of the show :) I guess I'm just being super anal today. I actually deep down agree that Disney is trying to re-focus on the OT, to help get older people excited again and younger kids brainwashed into believing that the coolest thing in the Star Wars Universe is not a clone with some awesome decals on their armor.

#17 esmolinski

esmolinski

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

This would be intersting…. especially if they do base either of the non trilogy movies on a young Han Solo or Bobba Fett. This means that Disney maybe would dabble in the Clone Wars Era. Maybe my dream of seeing a Jedi Starfighter in the mix of this game at some point as not been ruined.

http://screencrush.c...lease-schedule/

Again this is only the author's speculation, not 100% accurate.

#18 NikSantSurvivedEndor@gmail.com

NikSantSurvivedEndor@gmail.com

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

From reading through the first Star Wars RPG by West End Games my guess is:

They will go up in Scale and Stay in the MovieXwing-Tiefighter-PC game area. The old RPG had a Scale system which allowed the players to play with single personswalkersskimmers etc. (the rpg itself)  and fighter ransporters(I think the rulesystem was called Star Warriors) and Big Battleships. The scaling system allowed to calculate even how much damage han solos blaster pistol would do to the Executor.

I think someone in this set already spokewrote about synergy, and the hit and evade dice of xwing are also used in Edge of the Empire. So my guess is Fantasy flight games want to make it possible to have all scales that are seen in the OT been played in one big session. 

For example: You play through an RPG adventure which ends with the PCs starting of with a transport, then ties attack and you play it out with the x wing game, after the transport has landed on a Nebulon B Frigatte they help the captain of the ship an you play the third game. 

Also a game with ground battles (witch woould be almost Exp. Universe exclusively) would be possible in my opinion.

I think there may be 4 or 5 waves for x wing and then there will be a jump to battleships maybe with a star destroyer in the size of the falcon. or a bit bigger so that a corvette would be not too small to field but also calamari cruisers could be in.

A rouge and bountyhunter faction could have ships from shadows of the empire in it Dash rendars outrider, would be the third ship in transport scale for example. 

For my personal wichlist: Delta class stormtrooper transport , b wing , tie bomber, assault gunboat , E-wingz-95 headhunter. (sorry I know you didn`t want this guesses in this thread but i couldn`t resist)

#19 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

NikSantSurvivedEndor@gmail.com said:

I think someone in this set already spokewrote about synergy, and the hit and evade dice of xwing are also used in Edge of the Empire.

Actually, the X-wing mini game dice aren't used in EotE.  It's a completely different set of dice.

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#20 NikSantSurvivedEndor@gmail.com

NikSantSurvivedEndor@gmail.com

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

oh? my mistake. i didn't doublecheked it because of the one dice app for both games.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS