• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4075

Honestly I dont really like it.  Seen a lot of Vinyl and cloth mats that look a lot better.  I also dont get how the asteroids one would work, given that you wouldnt be able to see the actual obstacles easily if you used it.  Thoughts?

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#2 UniversalHead

UniversalHead

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

But … but … it's a STARFIELD kit … so WHERE ARE THE STARS?

#3 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

UniversalHead said:

But … but … it's a STARFIELD kit … so WHERE ARE THE STARS?

Agree, the planet (Alderaan) and Death Star look great, but the whole thing seems pretty devoid of anything else meaningful.  Tiles, so hard to carry around, bland, and will likely shift easily playing on it because they dont interlock and are basically just cardboard.  Not to mention they dont look very durable based on the side shot.  

Very disappointed.  For being late to the playmat party, I am not very impressed with what FF are providing. 

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#4 VisionVoid

VisionVoid

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

If you look closely at the pictures you can sort of see stars.  A Bit.  Maybe.  It looks to be a decent solution for some people but I think it would get pretty worn with regular use.  I'd rather have something more durable than cardboard tiles.

#5 ImmortalJedi

ImmortalJedi

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Priced at $40? No thanks…I'd rather buy more ships with that money.

#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

I'd galdly pay $5-$10 to enter a tournament for a chance to win one. I'm not dead-set for or against it. Good thing I have until January 2014 to think about it (considering FFG's track record on release dates).

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#7 NewTroski

NewTroski

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

The main reason I want a surface to play on is to keep the miniatures from sliding around so easily. I don't see how card stock is going to do that very well.

Also, couldn't people use the size of the tiles to make estimates about maneuvers?

#8 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

My question is, will there be some way to lock the tiles together so they can't slip apart during gameplay?  That will be my reason not to buy it.  I was hoping for a solid starfield mat, myself.

#9 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

"With a little imagination, players can use these tiles to set the scenes for the stages of a dramatic, extended X-Wing campaign."

---------------

LOLs

AKA: 'we were too lazy to even bother including balanced and tested scenarios with it, so good luck coming up with something, guys!'

Too bad, too, as this would be a greay way to add value to the product, get people to possibly buy some minis they might not otherwise have, and provide incentive to purchase it for people who already have some kind of playmat solution and are on the edge for this one.

#10 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

ImmortalJedi said:

Priced at $40? No thanks…I'd rather buy more ships with that money.

Where was that price mentioned?

#11 agentofdoom

agentofdoom

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

ziggy2000 said:

The price is on the product info page

http://www.fantasyfl...esem=2&esum=225

#12 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think this is a bad idea.  There are better star fields out there.  They should have done roll out mats.  What if you want a larger play area?  You need two boxes?  At $40 a piece?  I'll pass also.

#13 Kemmster

Kemmster

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I hate to go all traditionalist and wierd but why Alderaan?  It's destruction was the bick kick of rallying point for the Rebellion using it as a background makes no sense, why not Endor or Yavin that would have made sense and what's with the giant asteroids on one side?  That just looks goofy.  The card stock doesn't worry me as I think it will be ver sturdy and will hold up very well.

I'll be thinking long and hard as to whether I buy this.

#14 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

I bet the are going to make us play on them at Star Wars weekend.  That would be so lame.

#15 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

yeah,
I love them!
They look great and pack up for easy transport and wont curl up like roll mats.
It shouldn't be hard to find some non slip solutions to stop them sliding about if that becomes a issue.

Parakitor said:

I'd galdly pay $5-$10 to enter a tournament for a chance to win one. I'm not dead-set for or against it. Good thing I have until January 2014 to think about it (considering FFG's track record on release dates).

I'm down with the FFG bashing the starwars releases till now have been pathetic, but I hope/think they will probabily be on time (or early…. i can dream) with this realease since it's in card stock and FFG are good at card.

Kemmster said:

I hate to go all traditionalist and wierd but why Alderaan?  It's destruction was the bick kick of rallying point for the Rebellion using it as a background makes no sense, why not Endor or Yavin that would have made sense and what's with the giant asteroids on one side?  That just looks goofy.  The card stock doesn't worry me as I think it will be ver sturdy and will hold up very well.

I'll be thinking long and hard as to whether I buy this.

expansions!!
start at the start!

Can't wait for a official deathstar surface board.

Panic…

#16 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

agentofdoom said:

ziggy2000 said:

The price is on the product info page

http://www.fantasyfl...esem=2&esum=225

Ack. That does make it a lot less attractive. I'm all for the modularity and such, but yeah, that's a bit much for a stack of cardboard.

#17 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

The only really good thing for me personally would be having the match borders set in stone instead of haveing to find  an easily remembered peice of table cloth pattern to use every match.

#18 Teller

Teller

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Someone needs to be fired for this "great" idea. Give me a nice felt mat with a starfield any day.

#19 Ozmodon65

Ozmodon65

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

If it's going to sell at all they better add some kind of clips for the edge to keep it from sliding around. I picked up the gf9 mats and am quite happy with them. I may be interested in these tiles if they add a way to connect them without increasing the cost.

#20 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

FFG's first goose egg in the X-wing line up.  This is really weak.

Enimo Et Fide

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS