Kingsport Tennessee Regionals Report

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sinclair5150

sinclair5150

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

The first Tennessee Regionals was held in Kingsport this past Sat.  We had 9 total players and it went 3 rounds then cut to top 4 championship bracket.  I debated for weeks on what to bring as I really wanted to run the Falcon but had a feeling that it would be well represented… and it was, at least the YT-1300 anyway.  I thought about running Krassis with 4 TIEs but at the last minute decided on the Falcon list.

My list:

Han with Falcon, Chewie, Gunner, and Determination
Rookie X-Wing x2

99 pts.

Round 1:

I faced off againt a YT with Han as pilot and Horton, both were tricked out to the max with Gunner on Han and Assault Missles, and Horton had 2 torpedos and R2-D2 with ION.  Both also had shield upgrades.  I knew however that only two ships, however tricked out, probably wasn't going to cut it in terms of firepower and I was right.  He didn't use the ION much and the 2 torps and missle did little damage.  I didn't loose a ship and won in 20 or so minutes.

Round 2:

I faced against another YT with Han and this time Wedge, again both loaded up with upgrades.  Wedge had Expert Handling and R2-D2 along with Torp I think.  Han had Luke and Marksmenship, possibly something else I don't remember.  Again, another 2 ship build didn't worry me too much but he got some good rolls with Wedge early and some not so great flying by me allowed him to take out both x-wings.  I finished him off however with Han who was barely hurt most of the match.

Round 3:

This round I faced off against another 2 - 0 player who was running 2 YT-1300s, one Han and one Chewie.  Both had Marksmenship and Chewie had a Gunner and the Falcon upgrade.  Starting the day this was one of the 2 lists I saw there that I was worred about as I had never faced 2 YTs before.  We both knew, however, that no matter what happened that we both were going to make it to top four.  I think I did as much wrong in this match as you could imagine.  I placed asteroids horrible and then split my squad for some reason.  He proceded to roll absolutely crazy on his dice using Marksmenship on both ships every turn.  He took out both x-wings before they could really do much damage at all themselves then brought Han down to no shields.  At that point I knew I wasn't going to stage a comeback but since we had plenty of time left we keep playing.  However I ended up making the only mistakes all day with maneuvering the Falcon and ended up flying off the board by a centimeter.  Horrible game that only further made me worry about him in the top 4.

Championship bracket, round 1:

I ended up 2-1 and seeded 3rd and got to face off against the #2 seed who was running Turr w/ PTL, 2 Alphas and 3 Academy TIEs.  This was the other list I was worried about.  However, the early rounds saw him crashing his ships into each other trying to get around the asteroids causing him to lose actions and generally get his formations out of sorts.  After several rounds of combat he took out my two x-wings but not before they took out all 3 academies and one of the alphas.  Han took out the rest and was never seriously hurt himself.

The other match saw the 2 YT-1300 player take out a Wedge, Rookie, and Horton list that looked like a pretty good match.

Finals:

So another match with the 2 YTs…. I was not overally confident to say the least.  I took my time this time and I think got an overall better asteroid placement.  I kept my 3 ships together as well, hoping to really pound him with as much as I could as fast as I could.  I planned on taking out Han first but by the time combat begin I had all 3 of my ships in range 1 of Chewie so I just went for it.  Alot of great rolls later and I had Chewie hurting pretty bad after the first 2 combat rounds.  He, however, took out 1 x-wing and put a blinded pilot crit on the other in addition to having him going the wrong way close to the board edge.  My Han ended up chasing his Chewie with his Han chasing me.  I had to rely on turns for the x-wing as being so close to the edge prevented him from using a koigran.  My Han kept evading and poking away at Chewie while my lone x-wing was out of combat for 3 full rounds!  His luck with Marksmenship this time didn't hold up and I got the x back in the game.  In the end my x and Han finished off chewie and then focused his Han down with some really great re-rolls with Han and Gunner.  I finished him off after 50 or so minutes to take home the Regionals.

Summary:

Not bad for someone who, before the day started, had 0 experience with flying the Falcon.  All my playtesting had been done with either 4 x-wings or firespray w/ 4 TIEs.  The games were great and despite not having a strong play group for X-Wing at this store, having 9 show up was great.  Everyone had a good time.  For me I think my maneuvering ability really paid off.  I only hit one asteroid all day and didn't collide with any other ships on my movement.  The round I flew Han off the board was literally by a centimeter, lol.  I put myself in good firing position as well most of the time.  I used the Falcon Evade every single turn with Han and I will say that I would never fly the YT without it even though I know that Marksmenship is crazy good on Han.  The Gunner was handy but didn't really come up too much for me.  I didn't use Determination all day but I tend to be a more defensive minded player in any game I play so I liked having that security blanket in case I needed it.  Also, I was the only player playing at 99 points and having initiative all day really came in handy as well flying against so many other Hans and Wedge.  

Worlds is a looonnng way away and I don't kow if I'll be able to go but if possible I would love to try to be there as my competitive juices and enthusiasium for this game are through the roof right now.  FFG did an amazing job on this game and I hope it stays around for many years to come.

Finish:  4 - 1 Regional Champion

#2 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Congrats on the win, and thanks for a great report!  Gives me a good feel what to expect. 

#3 sinclair5150

sinclair5150

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

So I've decided to travel to another Regionals and am thinking about trying out a different list… although my Han list is calling me back pretty hard.  Reading all the Regionals reports I've noticed that there is no love for good ole Luke.  So I'm thinking about playing around with a Luke lead small ship squad.  Any thoughts???

Luke w/ PtL, R2 Astromech
Garvin
Rookies x2

Luke w/ R2D2, VI, Shield Upgrade
Rookies x3

Luke w/ Squad Leader
Outer Rim Smuggler w/ MF
Rookies x2

Luke w/ R2 Astromech, Marksmenship
Rookie Pilot
Green Squadron w/ Concussion Missles
Green Squadron w/ Concussion Missles

Ideas???

#4 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

Personally, I think the second list is best of those.

#1: Garven is mediocre.  His ability doesn't really help the heavy hitters (i.e. Luke), and is limited usefulness on the Rookies. It's not a bad list, and it would be interesting to have Luke with PTL to give him some additional offensive power.

#3: The ORS is really a waste of points. For the same cost, you can get a Y-Wing with shield upgrade and an Ion cannon.  The difference being the turret-primary (of Atk 2) and +1 Hull point. The Y-Wing has the Ion turret at 3 dice range 1-2.  Same amount of shields. I think a Y-Wing would be more useful.

#4: Concussion missiles are really only useful against the big ships with low agility.  Granted, there are a number of those now with Wave 2. Still, those are also the ships that the A-Wings have the best chances of hitting with their measly 2-Atk primaries. A-Wings will struggle more against 3-agility targets. I'd suggest taking homing missiles on the A-Wings.

#5 sinclair5150

sinclair5150

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Definetly leaning on #1 or #2  if i were to run Luke. I like the idea of him being a mini tank. 

#6 sinclair5150

sinclair5150

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

Another question I'll throw out there, how do think list #1 or 2 would hold up against the wealth of large or double large ship lists.  Do you think maybe going with 3 x-wings with some torps, higher pilot skill for a hard hitting alpha strike against say a Falcon work better?

#7 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Well, Picasso said his 4x Rookie (each with shield upgrade) is a "big ship killer" list.  I would imagine, therefore, that any 4x X-wing list will be reasonably similar in being able to handle big ships. You lose some durability on the Rookies by taking Luke, but Luke has the advantages of higher initiative and being even more durable.

#8 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

The tough thing about Dreis in general is that you either need to be shooting or get shot at for him to use that Focus token to pass it on. Experienced opponents will simply ignore him and try to fly out of his firing arc, at which point you've essentially overpaid for a Red Squadron X-Wing. 

I hope that doesn't sound bitter or dismissive, but personally, it's been quite awhile since I was able to use Garven in a relatively competitive match to any real degree. Not a fan. 

#9 sinclair5150

sinclair5150

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Horrible day of play testing today preparing for another regional.  Tried several diff. lists against a 2TIE, 3 Interceptor list led by Howlrunner. Couldn't rroll defense to save my life in every match. Tried Luke, Garvin and 2 rookies to no avail. However I did try two lists that I think could be interesting with more playtime:

Lando w/ veteran instincts, nine numb, falcon upgrade.  Wedge w/ swarm tactics and 1 rookie. 99 pts. for initiative and 3 PS9 attacks seems good. 

Tychos Spear

Tycho w/ PTL, assault missle, Stealth device, and 3 rookie pilot x-wings.  Played this and damaged 3 TIES with the missile. Won this match only loosing Tycho. 

Another list I'm thinking about is:

Luke w/ VI, rookie pilot, 2 Green Squadrons, both w/ VI, and assault missiles. 

Any thoughts?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS