Concussion Missles (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Soontir Fel (27)
Stealth Device (3)
Push The Limit (3)

Turr Phennir (25)
Vet Instincts (1)
Stealth Device (3)

My standard set-up was to put Turr in the left corner, Fel in the Right Corner, and Vader in the middle.
==================

Round 1 was against Adam Livingston. This was a rematch for us. We first played in Round 1 of the World Championship. His squad was a 6 TIE swarm with Howlrunner (Swarm Tactics, Stealth Device), Saber Squad INT (Swarm Tactics), Alph Squad INT, and 3 Academy Pilots. He started out grouped in the center, and showed excellent flying skills by flying all his ships in formation within a quarter inch from each other. In the first round of combat I killed an Academy Pilot. On the second round I was able to use my high pilot skills and maneuverablity to get Turr behind his squadas Fel closed from the right and Vader came straight up the middle. On round 2 I killed another Academy Pilot and dropped some damage on the Alpha. At this point he broke formation. This round was full of hot death. I killed 2 more ships at the cost of Turr. In the end it was Howlrunner alone against Vader and Fel. She didn't last too long.

5 Point win

Second round was against John Gardiner (A fellow Playtester). His Squad was Wedge (R2-D2, Shield Upgrade, Expose), Biggs (Stealth Device, R2-F2), and Dutch (Ion Cannon). The first round of combat I threw everything I had at Biggs, but it wasn't enough. He was still standing (or flying as the case may be). Then "it all turned bad". The next 2 rounds were like a demolition derby. There were some shots fired, but it wasn't untill round four that Biggs was turned to slag. Dutch died in the next round, and I was left with my whole squad against Wedge. Fel had 1 damage on him from hitting an asteroid, and Vader was down 1 shield. John had rolled less than average results, and the dice gods were with me so he decided to call it.

5 Point win

Round 3 was against Anthony Lillig (another playtester). This was the hardest game of the day. His squad was Soontir Fel (Push The Limit), Night Beast, Mauler Mithel (Expose), Backstabber, and an Alpha Squad INT. Anthony set Mauler off by himself so I altered my starting set-up (Vader on the far right with Fel next to him. Turr was still off on the left.). Vader and Fel got right in Maulers face and… nothing happend. No damage on either side. I then flew Fel into an asteroid. Vader cut around behind his squad and with the help of Turr killed Backstabber. Anthony was then able to surround Turr and show him "the true nature of the Force", but not before my Fel killed his Fel. Next I killed the Alpha, but Vader rolled all blanks on defense and was food for Mauler. This left Fel (with one hit from the asteroid) agains Mauler with one damage and an uninjured Night Beast. We flew around an asteroid in the far corner of the map for several minutes trying to get a firing solution on each other, but even when we were able to shoot there was no damage. Anthony could have cut and run at this point, but instead decided to fight with honour and try to finish me. When time was called we had already started our last round. Mauler pulled a K-turn towards the center of the map giving him a good angle on Fel. Night Beast was in a bad spot and stressed so he was only able to try and stay clear of Fel. I was able to make a 2 :Left Turn: , boost, and barrel roll which set Fel at a range 2 shot from Mauler. One hit and 2 crits. He rolled two :Evade:. As he pealed the damage card he called "Direct Hit" and it was.

3 Point win

The fourth round was against Gary Luther (2 time Kessel Run winner). He was running 2 Rookie X's and 2 Gold Squad Y's. I went back to my standard set-up. On the first round I rolled 9 hits out of 10 dice. This was enough to kill one X and give the other a severe limp. On his attack I rolled 5 :Evade: . On the second round I closed to point blank range and took out the other X. He got Fel with an Ion shot which locked him down due to stress from Push the Limit. On the next round I took one Y down to 2 hull. He hit Fel with both Ion shots and killed him. The next round left him with 1 shieldless Y-wing with 2 hull vs. Turr and Vader. Once again I pulled out all :Evade: . On the last round I rolled one hit and 2 :Focus: with Vader. I was able to spend a :Focus: and call it Game Over.

5 Point win

That's right I won a regional with only 3 TIEs. It was not easy the competition was rough. Good Game to everyone I played. Thanks to everyone who showed up. I think we all had a good time. Now, what to play at the next one…

#2 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

Congrats on the win. Great group of guys you have there in Indy. :)

We had a similar squad in Iowa City, but instead of Vader it had 3 AP's. It placed 4th. I have been contemplating running a different squad at FFG in May, but if yours is a winner, I may stick with what I ran last weekend, which is made for taking out your squad. Decisions, decisions….

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#3 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

Sounds like it was a blast! Good write up. I would have loved to make it down there, but it was Bug Bowl here in West Lafayette.

I'm surprised that so many of you took TIE squads without Firespray support. Is there something you playtesters know that we don't? How many squads were there with large ships in them?

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#4 Daroe

Daroe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

There was a YT with 2 Y-wings and someone was running Firesprays.  They both started at a table far away from me and did not get any closer so I didn't really get to see what the match ups were.  Anthony and I really like swarms and John is a big fan of the Y-wings.  I think that is why we didn't bring any large ships this time.  I do not intend to run the same build at any other regionals I go to.  So there is no telling what I might be playing next.  Swarm is pretty popular in our local meta.  Actions are important, and I feel that a good player can use the swarm to cause larger ships to not get actions.  The swarm is dealing with negative space.  They will move before you, so it becomes tricky to anticipate where they will not be. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS