Jump to content



Photo

Implants: small rule detail


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

In page 115 of the Beta book, under the Gear section "Cybernetic enhancements /replacements" you can find:

CYBERNETIC ARMS (MOD V AND VI)

The Mod V Cyberarm provides + I Brawn, (…)

 

CYBERNETIC LEGS (MOD II AND Ill)

Note that cyberlegs must be purchased as a pair, Mod II Cyberlegs provide + 1 Brawn, (…)

 

Based on the Armour attachment: Strength Enhancing System found in page 126 of the Beta book that reads:

Base Modifiers: Increases wearer's Brawn by one point while weanng this armor. This does not increase soak or wound threshold.

 

I was wondering if it should not be the same for the implants, i.e.

 

CYBERNETIC ARMS (MOD V AND VI)

The Mod V Cyberarm provides I Brawn (this does not increase soak or wound threshold), (…)

 

CYBERNETIC LEGS (MOD II AND Ill)

Note that cyberlegs must be purchased as a pair, Mod II Cyberlegs provide 1 Brawn (this does not increase soak or wound threshold), (…)

 

I know this is a very small detail, nonetheless thoughts are welcome.

 

 

Cheers,

Yepes


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#2 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Yepesnopes said:

I know this is a very small detail, nonetheless thoughts are welcome.

 

Cheers,

Yepes

Actually, it's already addressed in the Beta book itself on page 65, third sentence under Wound Threshold, as well as the third sentence under Strain Threshold.  In short, once you've finished Character Creation by spending your initial pool of XP, the only way to raise Wound and Strain Thresholds for a PC is via the Toiughness and Grit talents.

However, those increases to Brawn from cybernetics do apply to the PC's Soak Value, making them tougher to injure, as well as increasing their dice pool for Brawn-based checks, but they already don't impact the PC's Wound Threshold.


Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#3 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

@Donovan Morningfire

Thanks, good point.

I will house rule that the implants do not rise soak, I don't see the point.

 

Cheers,

Yepes


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#4 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

    Not the member you are looking for!

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

I like that it increases soak but not wounds. It reflects the aspect that cyborgs are tougher to injure, being that they are part machine now. If it also increased wounds, it would be too much of gimme and every optimizer would want to take it.


People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell


#5 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

mouthymerc said:

I like that it increases soak but not wounds. It reflects the aspect that cyborgs are tougher to injure, being that they are part machine now. If it also increased wounds, it would be too much of gimme and every optimizer would want to take it.

In my head it rises some inconsistences though. For example droids PCs do not gain any bonuses to soak and they are fully made of metallic parts, and yet they only get soak = brawn, why would then and implant rise soak?

But these are small details that each of us can use as we like. The game is not going to change much due to it. 


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#6 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

    Not the member you are looking for!

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

Yepesnopes said:

 

In my head it rises some inconsistences though. For example droids PCs do not gain any bonuses to soak and they are fully made of metallic parts, and yet they only get soak = brawn, why would then and implant rise soak?

But these are small details that each of us can use as we like. The game is not going to change much due to it. 

 

 

Ah but they get the Enduring talent as part of their racial benefits. It is an increase to soak and is similar to that gained through cybernetics, at least in my view. But yes, to each their own, eh?


People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell


#7 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

mouthymerc said:

Ah but they get the Enduring talent as part of their racial benefits. It is an increase to soak and is similar to that gained through cybernetics, at least in my view. But yes, to each their own, eh?

Good point!

It is better than nothing.

As a side note, how high can a PC go on soak?? seems he can go veeery high as per raw.

Brawn + 1 (from Implanted arms) + 1 (from Implanted legs) + 1 (from Implanted armour) + 1 (for each rank in enduring talent; which is ranked, isn't it?) + armour + 1 from armour attachment + ?

 

Cheers,

Yepes


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#8 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

    Not the member you are looking for!

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Yepesnopes said:

As a side note, how high can a PC go on soak?? seems he can go veeery high as per raw.

Brawn + 1 (from Implanted arms) + 1 (from Implanted legs) + 1 (from Implanted armour) + 1 (for each rank in enduring talent; which is ranked, isn't it?) + armour + 1 from armour attachment + ?

Enduring is ranked. I'm sure if one optimizes for it, you can have quite the soak, even into the teens. Brawn can be initially loaded up on, and add in all that you have pointed out. You can have quite the tank. I'll be interested to see if anything is added or changed in the Core book.


People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell


#9 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

    Member

  • Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

The difference between the droid and a fleshy being getting cybernetics is that the fleshy being is fleshy. You're starting out weak and adding materials that are stronger or more durable than your fleshy bits.

The droid is already a machine with metal parts. So replacing a metal part with another metal part doesn't make it more resistant to damage.



#10 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

    Member

  • Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Let's see.

 

A droid with 6 brawn starts at 7 soak, it can then gain 1 rank of enduring via Survivalist, another 1 via bodyguard, and 2 via Marauder, that's 11 before armor.

Add in one of the heavier armors for +2, superior quality for another +1, amour mastery off the Gadgeteer tree for another and you'd be sitting at a nice 15 soak. Not to mention 26 health if you take the cheapest path to the required Talents due to Toughened. Of course, with four specializations spread over two careers and a lot of those talents being near the end of their trees it would be a massive point investment. You'd also be god awful at anything outside of brawn.



#11 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Kallabecca said:

The difference between the droid and a fleshy being getting cybernetics is that the fleshy being is fleshy. You're starting out weak and adding materials that are stronger or more durable than your fleshy bits.

The resistance, strength etc. of a fleshy beging with Brawn 3 is equal in all aspects to a Droid with Brawn 3, the fleshy begin is not weaker. The only difference is the starting rank in the Enduring talent the Droid has, giving him a +1 Soak.

What you say has sense, it is just not very well reflected by the rules as per RAW. But I imagine is the price one has to pay to make Droids PCs.

Cheers,

Yepes


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS