Photo

Finding Other Players - a disorganized rant regarding possible solutions.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

Let's face it. Finding other players for this, or any other FFG roleplay game, is rather difficult. I have seen more than one post where a player, after having purchased product, has left the game or are putting their materials up for sale becaue they could not find anyone to play with.

After having gone to all three of my local area game stores yesterday, I was fairly surprised to find that none of them kept a customer database of "who bought what" that could be cross referenced.

I was curious if anybody on these forums had a local game store that kept this kind of database.

It would make finding other players 10,000% easier, and could be done on a voluntary basis.

A simple question at check out: "Would you like to make your email address available to other customers who are playing "fill in game name here"?

Then, if anybody asks about other people playing this game, the store could print out a list of every WFRP3e sale they have had with the same zip code of the person asking.  Sounds simple enough.

On the FFG side of things, I don't believe their "community" page is very effective. In fact, my official opinion would be that it sucks, for lack of a better term. First, it isn't promoted very well, and secondly, it feels a bit clunky. 

"Community Wizard",… really FFG?  Really ?!?  Please tell me this isn't the best you can do. Do you really believe that your average player, when he finds himself looking for other players locally, will begin their search by typing a Google for Player Wizard? Let's not get cute with it. Call it what it is. Player Finder.  Sounds simple enough.

While it might not take off immediately, I would  like to see a sticky attached to the top of the main forum page for each game you sell. Again, let's not get cute. Keep it as straight forward as possible. Thread topic…"Player Finder". The thread should read, "Looking for other (insert game name here) players? Please click the link below to be directed to our Player Finder database". Sounds simple enough.

This same thread should be a sticky at the top of the game master sub forum as well. 

To take this a little further: Your little game promotional sales books that are included with every product you sell, you know the ones I am talking about, the ones you literally need a microscope to read, are well done, well printed, and look very attractive except you CAN'T READ THEM so what is the use??  If you can manage to put one of these in every product you sell, it shouldn't be that difficult or costly to include a simple "flyer" page dedicated to promoting the Player Finder. It reads: " LOOKING FOR OTHER LOCAL PLAYERS INTERESTED IN WARHAMMER FANTASY ROLEPLAY 3rd EDITION? Please visit our PLAYER FINDER at www.fantasyflightgames.com/playerfinder". and make this the FIRST THING people see when they open the box. Sounds simple enough. 

Finally, I think a little more effort by FFG, directed at their dealers, could go a long way in selling more of their product. Encourage your dealers to keep a simple database of FF sales linked to their customers email addresses and referenced by what product they have purchased. That way, when a guy walks into the store and, after perusing the aisles for a while says, "Hey Mr. friendly neighboorhood game store employee, this one looks kinda cool. Do you know of any groups or players in the area?". The employee can say, "I think so, hold on just a sec, I'll be right back." The employee walks over to the register,.. click, click, click, print,… and hands the potentially interested customer a paper with a dozen or so email addresses on it. "These guys have all purchased the same thing in the last 12 months. You could give them a try." 

These same email addresses could, rather easily, be auto updated to the FFG Player Finder with only the email address and a Google map pin. Now we have an international database, generated, in part, by all the local FFG dealers for each and every WFRP3e product sold wherein which the customer voluteered their information.  The more I think about it, I would make this a mandatory part of being a FFG dealer and periodically remind them, through normal dealer/company communications, to instruct their employees to ask the customer to participate.   Sounds simple enough.

Does anybody else have any ideas regarding how we, the FFG roleplay community (wizards included),  might be able to "find" other players??  and does anyone see problems or issues with any of the above suggestions? 

I know for a fact that their are more players out there with WFRP3e product. I just can't find them,…

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

There are several ways to find players (listed below), however yes, it would be useful if FFG had even a single place to find players.  Their current system obviously wasn't developed by anyone who actually ever has to find players.  

It would be much better if they just had a SINGLE forum for posting gamers seeking gamers.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS