Duk'zarist Metal Allergy in Combat

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Malchior

Malchior

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Does the Duk'zarist metal allergy apply in combat? Logically, since metal weapons are the most common, it seems that it should

#2 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yes, but only if that weapon contains iron. While the Nephlim says "vulnerability to metals, especially iron and iron-alloys," the full race says "Iron and it alloys are poisonous to the Duk'Zarist." I would rule that only items containing iron would be able to activate their allergy, not all metals. 

#3 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

I think, Nurddude is correct. So "silver weapon", and so on, don't have special effect on Duk'zarist. And Duk'zarist don't use iron items (in the core book is a wood described, which can be forged to a sword, this was, for example, something Duk'zarist used).

But: steel is a "iron-alloy" and AFAIK most cutting weapons are made out of steel (iron itself wouldn't be "flexible" enough and could break really fast or become blunt). But for example weapons from bones or unusually metal (which are some magical weapons), most maces, perhaps arrowheads and so on, wouldn't be made out of iron(-alloy).

So long,

#4 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

But then that raises a second question: What about the effects of Black Steel and the White Steel of Shivat? I did some looking, and I beleive that Black Steel would affect Duk'zarist because it is "an exceptionally rare alloy." The White Steel of Shivat, on the other hand, would not becaus the entry starts with "This whitish metal…" This makes me beleive that even though it has "steel" in its name, it is not. F3nr1s, what would you say about this?

#5 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

I looked back again, and found something that may also be worth considering. The material Elektra is "a rare alloy formed of black and white steel in exact proportions." Now, this mean that Elektra will also affect the Duk'zarist because of the black steel. The wording here may provide a platform to argue that white steel is an alloy. I personally, would not rule it as such, because the description doesn't say it is an alloy, and it is "only found in the mines of Shivat." While it is possible to find alloys in the natural world, there are very few. That is why I would rule that doesn't contain iron, but unless there is definite proof that there is not, it will have to be the GMs call.

#6 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

I think, the anima book isn't using the term "steel" like I know it. Steel is an alloy from iron and other elements. Carbon is one of the other elements.

Now, AFAR, if the carbon part of steel is higher, the it would getting darker (but not black) BUT it would also becoming softer and flexibler. Therefore I would say, that black steel isn't steel like definied above. But this says nothing, if black steel includes iron.

Also white steel isn't described as alloy, but as metal. Now, steel is also a metal, because: metal can be an alloy, but it isn't necessary.
Problem is here: black steel is described as alloy and white steel only as metal. Therefore one could say, that white steel isn't an alloy. But if you look at steel: Steel itself is only described as a metal.

I would rule it so: Black steel is a subtype of steel, therefore, it would have an iron part. For white steel, I wouldn't say this, I would say, it is a "pure metal", therefore no iron. But this is only my opinion, which I couldn't say to must be true.

In my ruling, Elektra would have iron, because of the black steel.

So I think Nurddude and I agree in this points, or?

So long,

#7 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

From the sound of it, we are in complete agreement.

#8 Bleakheart26

Bleakheart26

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

With in the "those who walk amung us" there are rules for doing combat with Mass creatures (flock/herd/ect). In an upcomming fight there will be swarms of drones attacking a character that has this fatal Metal Allergy….   any suggestions for dealing with Mass  allergy metal checks.   Considering the Mass combat system of Twwau" pg 180+ it represents many attacks failed and sucessful. Should I keep it simple with one check, force the character to make many checks that would be potentially "insta-gib", or increase the base dc check of being swarmed by these little metal constructs on pg. 94 (Drone).   Any suggestions would be welcome. If it helps the characters specialty is augmented defence. ki armor (damage barrior) that will be by passed by the damage of the swarm, and psychicly enhanced regeneration+ advantage (regeneration), in other words his defence is only about 115, but life regen is capped on the chart due to gnosis reqirements.   (his only real option is psy fire ball that has the potential of killing himself to deal with some 50+ bugs) It will not be a pritty fight + unavoidable….

#9 Black-Fox

Black-Fox

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

If you are only giving the character one roll to defend themselves, then you should only make them take one roll for the resistance check. Just increase it somewhat based on either the number of drones in the swarm or how badly he was hit by them (damge dealt or hit %).

As for his "augmented defence. ki armor and enhanced regeneration", they only matter if they stop the metal actually coming into contact with him, and regeneration doesnt effect their weakness of metal at all.

#10 shinjox

shinjox

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Do remember though, there are different Resistances based on the content of Iron specifically. Something containing a little iron has a lower check than a toally iron object. So Steel, Titanium Steel, and alloys of Iron and other metals and materials, even white and black steel, would offer the lower check,, where as the brittle breakable iron sword or iron fence post you rip off out of the ground and smack the darkling aroudn with, woudl offer the higher :D

#11 Wachter

Wachter

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Gruß, Greetings!

I'm new here. Wanted to take a moment to say this is a nice site.

Duk'zarist are very intriguing, indeed.

Edited by Wachter, 13 April 2014 - 05:39 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS