Photo

Engine Modification: Which ships do you use it on?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

I found a very interesting combo last night while playing a 100 point game.  I've always liked Turr + Vet Insctincts, his pilot skill lets him move out of a firing arc after attacking someone else.

But the biggest surprise was how effective Vader was with the boost option.  Due to his 9 pilot skill, he often could boost to get in a better position, sort of like Turr but only pre-attack.

What are some other ships y'all find work well with Engine Upgrade?

#2 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

I've seen it used pretty effectively with Wedge.  Helps him get in close for a nice range 1 shot while he drops the defender's agility.

(Also to your point about using it on Vader - engine upgrade and daredevil on Vader is a pretty nasty combo.  Makes him real tough to catch or know where he is going)

#3 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

Cptnhalfbeard said:

I've seen it used pretty effectively with Wedge.  Helps him get in close for a nice range 1 shot while he drops the defender's agility.

(Also to your point about using it on Vader - engine upgrade and daredevil on Vader is a pretty nasty combo.  Makes him real tough to catch or know where he is going)

The only issue is that Vader's ballwick is actions, performing the red move will negate that, no?

#4 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

Yes, but next turn you make a green maneuver, followed by boost/barrel roll, then your daredevil turn.  I actually like Vader with the Engine Upgrade and Push th Limit better just because it lets me do a focus or target lock instead of the second maneuver if I wish.  Still, the idea is having Vader be able to make multiple moves immediately after his normal maneuver.

In the previous posters example, on every turn Vader could make a green maneuver, Barrel Roll to one side, Boost, then follow up the Boost with a 1 Turn.  By any measure that is some pretty extreme maneuvering, and could easily have Vader pulling behind opponents turn after turn.

#5 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

Sorry, I meant boost OR barrel roll, but the point remains.

#6 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, I can see how for three points that'd be useful (rather than use points on missles).

Turr + Vet (brings him to a 9)
Darth + Engine + Daredevil
Vanilla Backstabber
Vanille Saber Squadron

99/100 points.  Could give the Saber guy Vet. to make hima Rank 6,

#7 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

Melchior Assisi said:

Cptnhalfbeard said:

The only issue is that Vader's ballwick is actions, performing the red move will negate that, no?

not really, no - I really found no need to do K-turns with Vader when I could do a green maneuver, then boost, then daredevil.  It would almost flip you around 180 but I could typically seat myself out of the arc of my opponent but have his ship within mine.  

As long as you do a green maneuver the turn after you daredevil you are good to go.

#8 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

If you want maneuvering craziness, try these two.

Vader + Push the Limit + Engine Upgrade

Tur Phennir + Push the Limit + Stealth Device

Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Stealth Device

100 pts.  All three ships should be able to make a green maneuver, focus, barrel roll, and boost every turn.  Try predicting where they will be…

Alternately, for more firepower…

Tur Phennir + Push the Limit

3 x Saber Squadron Pilots + Push the Limit

100 pts.  All 4 ships should be able to make a green maneuver, boost, and barrel roll every turn.  Lacks the ability to focus like the above, but has more hull and more firepower overall.

Either of these should give you PLENTY of practice maneuvering ships.  But God help you if you meet a squadron of Y-Wings or a pair of YT-1300s with turrets.  You have so many points devoted to getting out of peoples arcs, turrets could be a nightmare.

#9 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Speaking of Boost in general, I had a great time with Tycho and PTL last night.  At one point he had 4 stress tokens on him.

I think I've only ever used Engine Modification on the Firespray.  It helped get me closer to targets, but its hard to move such a large base out of other firing arcs at times.  I have limited play experience though.

#10 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Wait wait wait.  Wait.  You can do Daredevil *after* your actions…..?

So Vader can do:

Boost, Focus, then Daredevil……….?

#11 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Daredevil is an action, so no.  Which is why I like Push the Limit.

Vader can manauver, then focus as his first action.  As his second action he can then barrel roll (or boost), then Push the Limit activates allowing him to boost (or barrel roll if boosted first).  Focus - Barrel Roll - Boost.  Bang.

Soontir Fel maneuvers, then Boosts/Barrel Rolls.  Push the Limit activates, and he immediately Boosts/Barrel Rolls again (whichever he didn't pick the first time), recieves a stress token which activates his ability and he focuses.

Tur Fennir maneuvers, then focuses.  When he fires, he can immediately Boost or Barrel Roll, which activates Push the Limit, then he Boosts or Barrel Rolls (whichever he didn't do the first time) again.

Hilarity ensues.  :-)

#12 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Y-Wing + boost, yeah baby!

Enimo Et Fide

#13 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

KineticOperator said:

If you want maneuvering craziness, try these two.

Vader + Push the Limit + Engine Upgrade

Tur Phennir + Push the Limit + Stealth Device

Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Stealth Device

100 pts.  All three ships should be able to make a green maneuver, focus, barrel roll, and boost every turn.  Try predicting where they will be…

Alternately, for more firepower…

Tur Phennir + Push the Limit

3 x Saber Squadron Pilots + Push the Limit

100 pts.  All 4 ships should be able to make a green maneuver, boost, and barrel roll every turn.  Lacks the ability to focus like the above, but has more hull and more firepower overall.

Either of these should give you PLENTY of practice maneuvering ships.  But God help you if you meet a squadron of Y-Wings or a pair of YT-1300s with turrets.  You have so many points devoted to getting out of peoples arcs, turrets could be a nightmare.

I run something similar just that i give veteran instincts to Turr since you get the all 9 initiative and save some points. i also think PTL is not that great on him since he has to do his 2nd and 3rd action after shooting.

#14 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Backstabber is a good choice as well. That extra option can help him get the angle he needs.

It can help Biggs keep formation if need be.

Question actually, would boost be considered a 1 manuver for the activation of a standard r2 unit? I doubt it but worth double checking.

#15 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

TIE Advancedes with Enigne Upgrades? THe guys need all the help they can get…

Actually putting the engine upgrade on Han was kind of amusing as the lumbering barn of a starship coasted out of the range of my girlfriend's TIE swarm not too long ago.

#16 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Vonpenguin said:

Backstabber is a good choice as well. That extra option can help him get the angle he needs.

It can help Biggs keep formation if need be.

Question actually, would boost be considered a 1 manuver for the activation of a standard r2 unit? I doubt it but worth double checking.

The Boost Action is very explicitly NOT a Maneuver. Stated directly on the card for Boost.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS