Straight X-wing's

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Anyone ever run with 3 or 4 x-wing's in a tournament or against that setup?

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

I've faced a few. Usually they do pretty well. One guy in our gaming group swears by the X-wing, usually running Luke + R2-D2, and 3 Rookie Pilots. It's pretty solid, but he has never won with it. I don't want to toot my horn, but I usually outmaneuver him. I think a solid X-wing list has potential.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

I had alot of luck running Luke, Biggs, and Wedge. I did well in the Kessel run with that list coming in first,  third, fourth, and sixth.

#4 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Sprolly G said:

Anyone ever run with 3 or 4 x-wing's in a tournament or against that setup?

i ran this build at my kessel run event:

wedge + swarm + r2f2

red squadron

2x rookie pilots

… i flew wedge + rookies in tight formation to abuse swarm and let the red squadron roam a bit on its own. i used target locked attacks alot with good success. i went 3-1, beating 2 imperials swarms and a 3ship rebel team but lost to a 3rd imperial swarm team. its a solid team.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#5 Mundane

Mundane

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

In my Kessel Run I used:

Garvin + R2D2

Biggs + R2F2

Rookie

Rookie

I faced three other rebel squads and got full wins against each.

#6 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I've run four rookies with shield upgrades. It is nasty.  I've won a lot with it too. 

• PS10 likes this

#7 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I ran that against my girlfriend and made her rage quit…lol. I took out 2 of her ties in my first attack run and she accused me of cheating. 

• berusplants and TasteTheRainbow like this

#8 CommanderScrappy

CommanderScrappy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I just played against a 4 x-wing squad of Wedge R5 astro, Biggs R2-F2, and 2 rookie pilots. I was playing Chewie with draw their fire, Wedge with ST and R2 astro and Biggs. I just used Chewie ramming to break up the swarm and his suqad fell apart after that with me only losing Biggs. The main problem was he Biggs went down in the 2nd and Wedge in the 3rd and then the rookies didn't stand a chance. 

• w1ndst0rm likes this

#9 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

My kessel run was Wedge with swarm, Biggs with the dodge droid, a Red, and a Rookie, and it did pretty well. I ran into a Luke Garven Rookies squad at some point too, but I think those were the only 4-X's I saw

#10 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

I ran the four rooks with shield upgrades again today.  I played against Fett and four academy pilots.  I had all four ships left at the end of the game.  I was able to out fly the ties and take the first round of shooting with little damage.  I like this list a lot.

• oddeye and berusplants like this

#11 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Picasso said:

I ran the four rooks with shield upgrades again today.  I played against Fett and four academy pilots.  I had all four ships left at the end of the game.  I was able to out fly the ties and take the first round of shooting with little damage.  I like this list a lot.

I've known for a while that I wanted a second Firespray, but now you're making me want another YT-1300! I've wondered about the viability of this list, but hearing your tales has me wanting to try it myself. Seems like my kind of list, where there's no squad strategy, just individual fighters jockeying for position. That's my favorite way to fly.

#12 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

It's a nice list because you aren't thinking about "What if this ship gets shot down?"  It is 24 HP, and 12 Red dice on the attack.  It is a big ship killer.  I can shred a Slave One or a Falcon in one round of shooting.  I was surprised at how well it flew today.  I'll be honest I've also been flying three Firesprays.  That is just as nasty.  I do like the four X-wings better.

#13 Deadshane

Deadshane

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

That 4x Rookie idea seems like a good one….I bet it would be cooler to run them all with modified engines though for extra maneuverability and getting out of firing arcs.

….the engine modification seems so much better than the extra sheild…though since you've been running with the sheilds perhaps you have an opinion that might deter me….?

You do not need to see how many ships I own.

This is not the signature you are looking for.

You should be about your business.

Move along.

#14 Ruskal

Ruskal

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

@Deadshane: Problem with the engine upgrade on the Rookie is their pilot skill. You are moving first most of the time, so it's realy hard to know, if you are in or out of the enemys firing arc.

#15 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Also in a tourny there is a good chance you will play against someone with a turret.  Boost is pointless then.  Also rooks need that focus action to stay alive.

#16 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

Yeah, I hate the fact that in Wave 2 we get the most maneuverable ships -- and then the Millennium Falcon which makes all of their maneuvering pointless. Shouganai.

I have often thought about running Stealth X's: 4 Rookie Pilots with R2 Astromech and Stealth Device. I doubt it would be as tanky as the shield version, but there are games when it would really give your opponent some fits.

• oddeye likes this

#17 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

I use maneuvering to kill Falcons!  Start by maneuvering for postion -- force the Falcon to come into the asteroids from a different approach than it was planning on, which will then limit it's follow up options.  If you're swarming it right, it get stuck in traffic, or is forced to fly into asteroids, or veer away from its support ship(s).  Maneuver to concentrate fire. 2-3 rounds of concentrated shooting and it's done for.

#18 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Good players don't need to go into the asteroids to get you.   That being said I've more then once taken Han into the asteroids and yelled "NEVER  TELL ME THE ODDS!"  I'm not saying every player can do this but a good player will weave through you and force you to bump him putting you on a rock. I've done it more then once to leave my opponent upset and dumb founded.  It's a big risk baiting a big ship into the asteroids. If that player knows what they are doing they will pick up an extra green dice and an extra red one to one shot one of your ships. 

#19 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

What about 4 rooks with a proton torp each. I'm worried about the higher pilot skill builds dominating the rookies.

1) -Rookie X-Wing / Pilot Skill 2 (21points)

-Proton Torpedo (4 points)

2) -Rookie X-Wing / Pilot Skill 2 (21points)

3) -Rookie X-Wing / Pilot Skill 2 (21points)

4) -Rookie X-Wing / Pilot Skill 2 (21points)

Total = 100

• oddeye likes this

#20 commuterzombie

commuterzombie

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Torps on low PR pilots is a tough combo to pull off. Consider this scenario:

You move first, nothing's in range so you can't TL. They move into range 3, you exchange (primary weapon) attacks. Next turn you move and TL, they move to within range 1 and you can't fire the torps. You're then stuck trying to maneuver whilst being hobbled by the fact that you want to get that torp shot off so that the points aren't wasted.

Obviously I'm painting a worst case scenario there but a good opponent will try to force you into this dance.

Contrast that with shield upgrades where they are guranteed to be useful at some point and it's hard to argue for torps at all. Even in a meta game with everyone running 2 Falcons, I'd pick shield upgrades to keep me getting 4 attacks at 3/4 red a turn for as long as possible, using focus actions to stay alive if necessary or pour on the hurt otherwise.

• berusplants and Bipolar Potter like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS