Failed Fear test in solo mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wraith00

Wraith00

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

There appears to be no metion of what happens to a Spacemarine that fails a fear test durring combat in Solomode. The core rule book mentions that the battlebrother does not react the same way as normal people due to fear. The core rule book does explain what happens in Squad mode but not in solo mode. Do you use the rules for what happens to normal people and consider "And they shall know no fear", nothing more than a saying?

#2 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

Wraith00 said:

There appears to be no metion of what happens to a Spacemarine that fails a fear test durring combat in Solomode. The core rule book mentions that the battlebrother does not react the same way as normal people due to fear. The core rule book does explain what happens in Squad mode but not in solo mode. Do you use the rules for what happens to normal people and consider "And they shall know no fear", nothing more than a saying?

Here is the Deathwatch Errata, in case you do not have it.

http://www.fantasyfl...h-errata-v1.pdf

It doesn't look like this is of any help with your particular question. I've been treating Battle-Brothers in Solo Mode as completely unaffected by Fear. There is a trade-off: If the BB is not in Squad Mode he doesn't benefit from Squad Mode Abilities. They "know no fear" in Solo or Squad Mode, Fear just (possibly) causes Cohesion Damage.

#3 BossTroll

BossTroll

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

The rules say that Marines in Solomode suffer a -10 on willpower tests per 'level' of fear the enemy has. That's the only effect.

You can find this right at the start of the fear rules for Marines (not the genereal fear rules)

- Paranoia is a comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter. - Gilbran Quail - Collected Essays -

#4 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

BossTroll said:

The rules say that Marines in Solomode suffer a -10 on willpower tests per 'level' of fear the enemy has. That's the only effect.

You can find this right at the start of the fear rules for Marines (not the genereal fear rules)

Answer me this, Boy Wonder: Why even make a Fear Test if the only effect is a penalty to the Test? 

#5 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Alekzanter said:

Answer me this, Boy Wonder: Why even make a Fear Test if the only effect is a penalty to the Test? 

Holy Suppressing Fire, Batman! The rulebook doesn't word it very clearly, but I assume that the WP penalty for a failed Fear Test in Solo Mode applies to all WP tests that said Marine has to make, for as long as 'normal' Fear would be effecting a Mortal, i.e. until the thing that caused the Fear Test is no longer a threat. That's not a huge penalty (as befits one who Knows No Fear), but it can be exploited with things like Pinning Tests (which Marines are normally quite resistant to, due to Nerves of Steel).

#6 Skyecaptain

Skyecaptain

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

And it is really a problem for Libarians. I guess for Libarians the rule penalting the willpower is even worse than the normal rules for mortals. After all PSY directly uses Willpower, right?

BY ORDER OF HIS MOST HOLY MAJESTY

THE GOD-EMPEROR OF TERRA

Skyecaptain

#7 Avdnm

Avdnm

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Skyecaptain said:

And it is really a problem for Libarians. I guess for Libarians the rule penalting the willpower is even worse than the normal rules for mortals. After all PSY directly uses Willpower, right?

Yup. Also becomes a problem for the SC when they face enemy psykers, because they might need their WP for comparing rolls to defend. So, for example, an enemy psyker with fear can be a real pain in the ass for the SC!

#8 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

Actually, the errata adds the bullet point that the willpower penalty for failed fear checks does not effect focus checks and so do not effect a Librarians ability to use Psi. The penalty can be a pain with other Willpower based rolls though.

E

#9 Skyecaptain

Skyecaptain

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

Correct, just read the erratas.

That leaves all Marines in the same positon. I think its fair and balanced.

BY ORDER OF HIS MOST HOLY MAJESTY

THE GOD-EMPEROR OF TERRA

Skyecaptain

#10 alemander

alemander

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

The way I read it is that Space Marines don't even have to make any Fear Test whatsoever.  When faced with Fear causing foes, the suffer a Willpower Test according to the chart if they are in Solo Mode.  If they are in Squad Mode, they suffer Cohesion damage unless the Leader makes the Willpower Test.  Fearless Talent would take away the penalty against Willpower Tests.

It clearly states after both those bullet points that Space Marines are basically unaffected by fear and that the charts for Fear were placed in the book for those that my accompany Space Marines, etc.

~ alemander

#11 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

alemander said:

The way I read it is that Space Marines don't even have to make any Fear Test whatsoever.  When faced with Fear causing foes, the suffer a Willpower Test according to the chart if they are in Solo Mode.  If they are in Squad Mode, they suffer Cohesion damage unless the Leader makes the Willpower Test.  Fearless Talent would take away the penalty against Willpower Tests.

It clearly states after both those bullet points that Space Marines are basically unaffected by fear and that the charts for Fear were placed in the book for those that my accompany Space Marines, etc.

~ alemander

Yeah, it's not as clearly worded as it could be, but I think that's the intent. Personally, though, I don't like the fact that Space Marines suffer automatic penalties when facing Fear-causing opponents when in Solo Mode, while 'mere mortals' in the same circumstances at least have a chance to avoid any penalties whatsoever; so, I 'house-rule' that Marines do make a Fear check, and recieve the -10 WP per point of Fear only if they fail the test.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS