Some questions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

Been playing Talisman for some five months now.

Got some queries that the rulebook and the faws haven't answered:

In a character battle, if the winner chooses to take an item, and the loser has armour, can he use the armour to prevent the loss of an item, or can the armour only be used if the winner chooses to take one life?

Creatures fighting in your place - is it just the creature's strength or craft alone, or can your character's strength/craft be added?

Any other queries that occur, I'll add to this thread.

#2 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

If you defeat a character in Battle, you may opt to have him lose 1  life or take  an item as your reward.  It's one or the other.

If you choose to take a life, and the defeated character used Armour to prevent the life loss, you get nothing. He is still considered to have lost the battle. This is important for some game triggers(such as losing the  Warhorse)

You may take the Armour instead of having him lose a life.

Followers that fight in your place only make an attack roll and add it to their Strength/Craft value. They get no other bonuses

#3 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Thanks.

Another query:

Enemy creatures that use both Strength and Craft (i.e. the Cerberus) - when these are defeated, can they be kept as trophies?

If so, can they be traded for both strength and craft points, or one or the other?

#4 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

Yes you can keep them as trophies, however if you fought them in battle then they count as Strength trophies, if you fought them in psychic battle then they count as Craft trophies. If you don't exchange them right away, simply place a strength or craft counter on the card to remember what it can be exchanged for.

#5 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thanks.

Yet another one:

A character rolls the die to move the Reaper who lands on the space of the character who rolled the die, and there are no other characters on that space.

Is the character immune from the Reaper because he rolled the die, or does he still need to roll the die to determine his fate?

#6 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

The Hunter said:

Thanks.

Yet another one:

A character rolls the die to move the Reaper who lands on the space of the character who rolled the die, and there are no other characters on that space.

Is the character immune from the Reaper because he rolled the die, or does he still need to roll the die to determine his fate?

A character can move the Reaper to his space, but he's not immune by any means. He has to roll the die on the Reaper chart like every character. Daring players like to move the Reaper on themselves, because they have good reasons to believe they can get a 6 result.

That's the right time to show them the Misfortune Spell you hold in hand.

#7 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

Been playing another game last night and some more questions came up:

A friend who played the Thief lands on the Village and decides to visit the Blacksmith. He uses the Thief's ability to steal a Mule, which the Blacksmith doesn't sell. My friend's argument is that the Thief's special ability allows him to "take one card of your choice from the Purchase deck for free".

Can the Thief steal any item from the Purchase deck, or is it restricted to the items being sold by the Market and Blacksmith?

What about stealing items from retail places in later expansions i.e. stables, the City expansion?

A friend cast a spell on my character which I cancelled with Counterspell. My friend also had Reflection and we were unsure what would happen if he casted this.

If he did, would my Counterspell be nulled allowing my friend to still be able to cast the original spell?

The Pathfinder card was drawn by one player, who is able to teleport to any space on his next turn.

Before that can happen, another player draws the Curfew card, sending the Pathfinder to the discard pile.

Can the player who encountered the Pathfinder still be able to teleport to any space even if the Pathfinder is no longer on the board?

Objects such as the Casket (where you roll a die to determine its contents) - when encountered, can it be carried and be opened when the holder wishes, or does the player need to roll the die straight away?

The Academy - I know that if you pay 6 gold, you can gain 1 Craft and 1 Strength but miss two turns. Can you pay 6 gold miss 2 turns and gain 2 Strength or 2 Craft, or even pay more coins miss more turns and gain more Strength and/or Craft?

#8 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

I don't remember the exact wording on the Thief character, but I believe he can take any cards from the purchase deck, he cannot take cards from other decks.

The reflection would have cancelled your counterspell making the original spell still valid.

No, if the pathfinder card is removed from play or simply move to another place you can't use his teleport ability. Note that if you emprisonned with the Idol and the card is destroyed or moved away, you are automatically freed.

The casket can be used at any time.

Yes for each 3 gold you pay you lose a turn and gain either 1 strength or 1 craft, note that if the card is destroyed or moved away you lose all the gold you spent, better not spend all your gold at once.

#9 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Frogemoth answered quite good, but some answers were not entirely right.

frogemoth said:

The reflection would have cancelled your counterspell making the original spell still valid.

Reflection is no Counterspell. It's used to reflect a Spell from the intended target onto the casting character. Only Spells that can be cast on characters can be reflected and Counterspell is not one of them.

The FAQ contains the indication that Immobility Spell can be reflected, which is correct (it can be cast on a character). There's a timing problem about this that I don't know how to solve.

frogemoth said:

Yes for each 3 gold you pay you lose a turn and gain either 1 strength or 1 craft, note that if the card is destroyed or moved away you lose all the gold you spent, better not spend all your gold at once.

If you want to miss X turns, you have to 3*X Gold immediately if you want to use the card's effect. Then miss the turns and gain 1 Strength or 1 Craft after each missed turn.

#10 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

I was told in this forum that Reflection acts like a Counterspell+, it can reflect a spell or simply cancel it. Has this changed?

#11 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

According to the Counterspell card:
"Cast as required. Negate the effects of any Spell just cast, including the Command Spell."
Negate is to neutralise, to make ineffective, so you're basically cancelling the spell cast against you.

I have another query:

If using both the Reaper and the Werewolf and a player rolls a 1, does he choose which one to move, or roll a die and move that number of spaces for both characters, or roll a die twice (1 for reaper, the other for wolf)?
What if one rolls a 5 for the Reaper (move the Reaper to another character) and all other characters are in the inner region?

#12 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Two more queries that have come up from a gaming sesh just finished.

The Closed Shop card - it says "All faceup places on the board close up shop and pack off to the discard pile". Does this also apply to non-shops?

A creature fights in your place against the Burrow Worm and loses. Do you still land on the Dungeon entrance?

#13 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

frogemoth said:

I was told in this forum that Reflection acts like a Counterspell+, it can reflect a spell or simply cancel it. Has this changed?

You are probably referring to this:

http://www.fantasyfl...&efpag=0#436481

I personally don't understand the answer that Elliott gave you. It's not clear what he means, whether Reflection works like a Counterspell in terms of timing or works exactly like a Counterspell even if the Spell has no effect if reflected. However, this is Elliott's take on this, FAQ or rules don't support any conclusions.

My idea about Reflection is much more complex. This Spell suffers from bad wording. and every new Spell that it is designed without proper attention to target and timing conditions won't work properly with Reflection.

In general, I think every Spell should have been worded specifying a target, but 40% of Spells don't tell what's the target; Reflection is one of them, even though we all understand it affects a Spell. Reflection works well if cast on a Spell that can target a character. You can't reflect on a character (the caster) a Spell that's cast on a creature, or on a space; there are no rules or procedures to determine what happens then. If you look how Acquisition or Mesmerism are written, you can't reflect them (they're NOT cast on characters).

Considering the whole picture, using Reflection as a Counterspell when Spells cannot be reflected may be the best option available.

The Hunter said:

I have another query:

If using both the Reaper and the Werewolf and a player rolls a 1, does he choose which one to move, or roll a die and move that number of spaces for both characters, or roll a die twice (1 for reaper, the other for wolf)?

He rolls to move each NPC (Non Playing Character) separately.

The Hunter said:

What if one rolls a 5 for the Reaper (move the Reaper to another character) and all other characters are in the inner region?

Good question. In this very rare case, which is possible only with Danse Macabre Ending or when the character not in the Inner Region moves the Reaper onto himself, I think nothing happens.

The Hunter said:

The Closed Shop card - it says "All faceup places on the board close up shop and pack off to the discard pile". Does this also apply to non-shops?

The Closed Shop Event card discards all faceup Place Cards (= a specific Adventure Card type), it has nothing to do with shops.

The Hunter said:

A creature fights in your place against the Burrow Worm and loses. Do you still land on the Dungeon entrance?

No, you suffer no penalties or effects. Check the current FAQ for "creatures that fight in your place".

#14 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

I had another gamre recently.

A friend used a spell that would steal all my fate, and I had a luckstone thatg had 1 fate.

We had a bit of a debate about the luckstone as its an object and therefore doesn't count, and we applied the same rules concerning the Genie.

In the end, all my standard fate was stolen, but I kept the one fate on my luckstone.

Is this correct?

#15 Triakor

Triakor

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:35 AM

The Hunter said:

I had another gamre recently.

A friend used a spell that would steal all my fate, and I had a luckstone thatg had 1 fate.

We had a bit of a debate about the luckstone as its an object and therefore doesn't count, and we applied the same rules concerning the Genie.

In the end, all my standard fate was stolen, but I kept the one fate on my luckstone.

Is this correct?

Yes, correct. Other fate is an item.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS