Photo

What case do you use to carry all of your ships?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Melchior Assisi

Melchior Assisi

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

I picked up a tackle box, which does a good job.  There's one exception though; in order to pack in the big ships, I need to remove them from their stands.  This seems like needless wear and tear if I plan on using the same pilots for the same ships.

Does anyone have suggestions for a carrying box which will allow for the big ships to remain on the stand?

#2 Jaravak

Jaravak

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

The KR foam keeps the ships on the stands but I wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping them on the stands if they weren’t in some kind of foam protected case.

http://krmulticase.c...TAR&army=XW&d=1

I also don’t see why people want to keep them on the stands, that’s the quickest part of setup. I spend more time fishing for cards or finding the ship tokens than I do plugging the stands into the ships and the ships into the bases.

#3 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

I use four Plano storage trays for my stuff. One each for the Imperials and Rebels, one for the templates, tokens, dice and damage cards, and one for the Upgrade Cards. This lets me separate them into the various catagories. Makes it MUCH easier to find the card I want. I also got some small rubber cylinders, cut them in half and epoxied them to the bottom of the tray in each compartment for the upgrade cards. That holds the cards at an angle and makes it easy to get hold of the stack.

Here's a link to some pictures of my cases.

http://www.flickr.co...s/94616636@N03/

#4 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Gullwind said:

I use four Plano storage trays for my stuff. One each for the Imperials and Rebels, one for the templates, tokens, dice and damage cards, and one for the Upgrade Cards. This lets me separate them into the various catagories. Makes it MUCH easier to find the card I want. I also got some small rubber cylinders, cut them in half and epoxied them to the bottom of the tray in each compartment for the upgrade cards. That holds the cards at an angle and makes it easy to get hold of the stack.

Here's a link to some pictures of my cases.

http://www.flickr.co...s/94616636@N03/

Where did you get those cases from? looks really great, want to copy you =)

Container Store maybe?

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 2xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

10xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 2xDecimator

#5 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Wal-Mart, in the fishing section. I don't remember the specific model number, but they have red clasps and a larger section along the front and two smaller sections in back. The Falcon models fit perfectly and with some experimenting you can get a lot of the smaller ships in, along with their dials and bases.

I also picked up a cheap red duffel bag to carry the four trays, the rulebook binder and a felt cloth for a play surface.

#6 Kemmster

Kemmster

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

I just ordered a Battle Foam 216 case and specific X-Wing inserts that they have available.

#7 TK4334

TK4334

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I love the KR Multicases. it is great that I can Carry the ships on stands especially if you visit tournaments. Take them out the foam and you are ready to go! I carry around my ships a lot and i've no problem with damaged ships. Great cases!
X-Wing Regional Champion 2014 Berlin
X-Wing Regional Champion 2014 Hamburg
X-Wing Regional Champion 2013 Nürnberg
X-Wing Store Champion 2014 Wiesbaden, Mainz, Düsseldorf and Iserlohn

#8 DekoPuma

DekoPuma

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

I decided to make my own case.  I picked up the Wave 2 foam from BattleFoam but found that I was running out of room for the cards and other accessories.  So I ended up building my own case, because it's something I enjoy doing.  This has enough room for the two pieces of foam, along with an extra two inches on the bottom to provide more storage space.

My favorite part though is the drawer there.  It has enough space to hold everything you need for one game (except movement templates, but it's small enough to fit on the corner of the table.  My hope is that it will make it easy to move between tables at tournaments.

#9 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

Gullwind said:

Wal-Mart, in the fishing section. I don't remember the specific model number, but they have red clasps and a larger section along the front and two smaller sections in back. The Falcon models fit perfectly and with some experimenting you can get a lot of the smaller ships in, along with their dials and bases.

I also picked up a cheap red duffel bag to carry the four trays, the rulebook binder and a felt cloth for a play surface.

Thanks! Went and bought a few yesterday.  Looks great with all my stuff in them.

The Model in case any one else was looking for it is 

Plano Prolatch Stowaway 3700 Series 3-28

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 2xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

10xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 2xDecimator

#10 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Hida77 said:

Gullwind said:

Thanks! Went and bought a few yesterday.  Looks great with all my stuff in them.

The Model in case any one else was looking for it is 

Plano Prolatch Stowaway 3700 Series 3-28

I think those 3700 series trays will fit in this as well:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#11 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

I don't have it yet, but I plan on doing this:

http://boardgamegeek...miniatures-game

As of right now, I am using 2 Plano 3750's.

#12 TK-421

TK-421

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Single Plano 5231… presently holding

4 X wing

3 Y wing

3 A wing

7 Tie

2 Tie Adv

4 Tie Int

1 M Falcon

1 Slave 1

All necessary cards, templates, dice, and other bits.  I suspect there will be plenty of room for upto 1 more A wing, 1 more Tie or Tie Int, 3 B wing and  2-3 Tie bombers if they are the next Wave.  More big ships will pose a problem.

While there are more secure and elegant storage solutions, I have no worries about the security of my collection, and I much prefer the compactness/ease of transport of the 5231.  That being said, I do not plan on throwing it into a backpack and biking across town or checking it on a flight.  But to carry from my car to the battlespace or for a short bike ride to the local coffee shop, no worries. 

At the 5231's cost of only one expansion ($13 delivered),  I can replace one or two models if disaster strikes.

#13 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

If you're at the FFG X-Wing World Championships laying the smack down all you need is a plastic shopping bag to carry your stuff in.  Guaranteed it throws everyone off seeing you dump your stuff out carelessly on the table and slap it together and you walk away with the crown.

#14 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

I use one of the bi Battlefoam bags designed for X-wing (I forget the model number).  Works well, holds a lot, could be cheaper though.

Enimo Et Fide

#15 Morrissey

Morrissey

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Kemmster said:

I just ordered a Battle Foam 216 case and specific X-Wing inserts that they have available.

I was going to do that, but if you read all the comments on the Battle Foam site under the entry for the inserts, customers aren't too happy with how some of the sections, eg: for the cards, have been cut. They say they're too small. Did you read those comments and, if so, what made you proceed with the order?

Understand, I love Battle Foam normally, and have quite a bit of their product. But those reviews killed the idea, for me, to use Battle Foam for my ships.

Look forward to your thoughts, especially after the battle Foam arrives.

#16 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

The R5Don4 Star II said:

If you're at the FFG X-Wing World Championships laying the smack down all you need is a plastic shopping bag to carry your stuff in.  Guaranteed it throws everyone off seeing you dump your stuff out carelessly on the table and slap it together and you walk away with the crown.

Earning another L O friggin' L! I need to buy you a beer someday. Something non-Canadian, though…

#17 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Morrissey said:

Kemmster said:

I was going to do that, but if you read all the comments on the Battle Foam site under the entry for the inserts, customers aren't too happy with how some of the sections, eg: for the cards, have been cut. They say they're too small. Did you read those comments and, if so, what made you proceed with the order?

Understand, I love Battle Foam normally, and have quite a bit of their product. But those reviews killed the idea, for me, to use Battle Foam for my ships.

Look forward to your thoughts, especially after the battle Foam arrives.

I have the Battlefoam inserts(which incidentally also fit in my Sabol Army Transport Motor Pool)  and I can say that the only problem you will have with the cards not fitting perfectly is if you have them in card sleeves.  Even then they fit fine, but are a little snug. Otherwise, the Battlefoam is awesome.

Maybe it's just because I came to this game with a background already in miniature games but I can't imagine toting my expensive(and fragile) mini's around a plastic case designed for fishing tackle :P

#18 shade_1313

shade_1313

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Battlefoam trays.  I've got a few of them, currently holding:

6 x X-Wing

4 x Y-Wing

4 x A-Wing

2 x YT-1300

12 x TIE/ln

12 x TIE/in

9 x TIE/x1

2 x Firespray-31

#19 lokirising

lokirising

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Games Workshop figure case.

#20 Sergovan

Sergovan

Fly Casual

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Since these pictures were taken I have included 1 Tie in the grey case and 2 Y's in the green case. 

I ordered the grey case from plasticase. It was 24.95 + 6.00 for the precut square foam and 4.00 for the base foam pad, plus shipping. They normally do bulk orders but they do ship individual cases as well. 

Here's the site for the light duty cases that plasticase has.

http://www.plasticas...cts.asp?node=12

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 A-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 5 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 GR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 2 Tie Phantom, 2 Defender

Tournament results: (S)11/11; (S)3/11;(AoIA)2/3; [R]12/28; (S) 9/10; (S) 3/6;         

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS