I posted a while ago, a play mat for SW:XMG a friend and I did in a single night. The one below…
Well I, with the help of my AWESOME wife, have decided to try and up the ante as it were. I have taken the plans and instructions for cutting out and building the Cardboard Star Destroyer, and have tried my best to apply that to MDF. I'll apologise here for any problems anuone has with my pics (size, etc).
The following will be my 'blog of sorts' on my trials and tribulations of trying to do such a huge amount of work. I'm sure it'll end up (probably 'start') terrible, but I'll give it a go. Anyway… on with the show.
Having obtained the files and instructions for the cardboard SD, I found myself short of access to an old school overhead projector. The best I could do was get the use of a friends cheap and old digital projector. As it has turned out, the newer projectors aren't as good (go figure) and after all the measuring, drawing, and jig-sawing, we realised that the digital projetor skewed some measurements (oversized bridge, lower front deck, overall length and width anyone? GRRR). Ah well, too bad so sad. I have stuck with what I have since it was already cut out and all. Anyway, this is what I ended up with….
After getting everything cut out (over the period of 2 days - the work was being done in one of the rooms at the LGS. Oh and I am a procrastinator of the worst kind), I packed it all into the car and took it home. Over the period of a couple of days spent looking at the pieces all temporarily in place, I thought it looked too 'flat'. I didn't want to paint the finished item two different shades to try and have the illusion of the angled top, so I decided to try it another way. I added a triangular shaped 'spine' down the centre of the SD. In hind sight, it was probably a terrible idea. But as my wife said…. Just claim artistic license… LOL. So before detailing and permenant placing of decks/walls/raised sections/bridge, neck etc… This is what my naked SD looked like….
….More to come….