Playing with yourself…?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 15jugglers

15jugglers

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Does anyone play Netrunner by themselves? I'm not talking about a solo variant but playing both the Runner and the Corporation, as a way of testing out decks and trying new strategies. Thought it might be worth trying, since I'd like to try a few new decks out but don't have the opportunity to play all that often with others at the moment.

#2 Astro Mike

Astro Mike

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Kind of a funny title… ;)

#3 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Since bluff is a big part of the game (on both sides, but more on the corp's side), I'd say the results of such tests would be sketchy at best. It might alert you about problems in card distribution (too few ICE or too little credit generation), but it can't give you anything meaningful beyond that.

#4 Clearbeard

Clearbeard

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

It's a viable first pass on playtesting a deck, but don't expect to glean a whole lot of info.  If you're trying to answer questions like "how many turns does my runner deck consistently need to build its full rig" or "how often to stagnant hands come up in my corp deck" this is the way to go.  If you want to know "how does my Kate deck play against Jinteki" you're not really going to be able to figure that out without a real opponent.

#5 15jugglers

15jugglers

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks Khudzlin and Clearbeard, that's the kind of thing I was getting at - seeing which cards I'm drawing, thinking about which combos I could get going and thinking about how I might respond to what the opposition is doing. I can clearly see the limitations of playing both sides at once for just getting a rough idea of how my decks might play out. I still haven't played with many of the cards yet, so I'm thinking it might be a good way to get to know them all a little better in context, in addition to just sitting there and reading them.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS