Reek + Roose

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tibs3688

tibs3688

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

My opponent today used Reek's response and then Roose's afterwards, claiming that this would not undo Reek's ability and return control of the character claimed by it, but would still return Reek to his side.  I don't see how the wording on Roose's ability lends itself to that conclusion but he was quite insistent that "Reek is permanent."  What is the case here?

#2 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

tibs3688 said:

My opponent today used Reek's response and then Roose's afterwards, claiming that this would not undo Reek's ability and return control of the character claimed by it, but would still return Reek to his side.  I don't see how the wording on Roose's ability lends itself to that conclusion but he was quite insistent that "Reek is permanent."  What is the case here?

Well, he's half-right. While Reek's ability is permanent in the sense that it will continue to be in effect if he leaves play, it is not permanent in the sense that it can never be reversed. Roose Bolton's ability says that when his condition is met all players regain control of all characters they "own," which is quite literal. When they game refers to a card you own, it means any card from your deck. Roose, therefore, would cause you to regain control of the character they used Reek to steal.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Essentially, the exchange in control is just as "permanent" for Reek as it is for your character. It would be an odd kind of reasoning that made the "permanence" of Reeks exchange control effect one sided.

Generally, all control change effects that do not specify a duration last until the card leaves play or another effect (like Roose) makes control change again. 

#4 Hellshark

Hellshark

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

ktom said:

Generally, all control change effects that do not specify a duration last until the card leaves play or another effect (like Roose) makes control change again. 

Just want to make sure that nobody misinterprets this to mean that an attachment like Enslaved has an indefinite duration.  A character who changed control via Enslaved would return to its original owner if the attachment was removed from play, since passive text on attachments lasts only as long as the attachment is in play (only mentioned because I misunderstood this at first).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS