Jump to content



Photo

News on Wave 3


  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 DarkmanSW

DarkmanSW

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

Hello guys , i read news about wave 3 on the german page of X-Wing that i want to share with you all (Heidelberger Spieleverlag)

Some facts:

- The new ships were shown in Nürnberg earlier this year, but not for the public. Only for the Heidelberger Spieleverlag
- Millenium Falcon and Slave I are medium sized ships, not large ships for x-wing!
- According to the admins there, the ships will be announced sooner as the think of (I bet on 4th May)
- It is planned that they will be buyable in Essen (Convention in september) this year. 
- FFG has the license only for the classic trilogy and expanded universe.

The admins were not allowed to say which ships will be in wave 3, but they exist :)


 



#2 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

    Member

  • Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

I was actually thinking and hoping that they might announce Wave 3 at the Star Wars event May 3-5! It would be a perfect time for an announcement, especially with availability by GenCon and Essen! Maybe even announce the second big-box expansion for the card game as well!

<fingers crossed>

 



#3 Jaravak

Jaravak

    Member

  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Did people just open their Falcons and throw out the rest of the box?

 

Open up the rules book for either the Falcon or Firespray and look for the "Large Ships" section detailing the large ship rules.

 

It even specifically says

"The Slave 1 has a ship base that is larger than those found in the X-Wing core set. Such ships are classified as LARGE ships and use the folowwing rules."

Emphasis theirs.



#4 Rince

Rince

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

DarkmanSW said:

- Millenium Falcon and Slave I are medium sized ships, not large ships for x-wing!

Are you saying we'll se even larger ships? Because, frankly, I am a little skeptical about that. In my experience, even these middle-sized ships we currently have can be a bit of a hassle to handle on the table. Now imagine an even larger ship trying to maneuver through an asteroid field. Not to mention larger ships would really cut into the game's central idea of dog fighting.



#5 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

Rince said:

Are you saying we'll se even larger ships? Because, frankly, I am a little skeptical about that. In my experience, even these middle-sized ships we currently have can be a bit of a hassle to handle on the table. Now imagine an even larger ship trying to maneuver through an asteroid field. Not to mention larger ships would really cut into the game's central idea of dog fighting.

…unless of course the large-ER ships the OP is referring to ultimately come in at such a prohibitive points cost that they put you over the tournament-legal 100pts and become restricted to casual play.

I couldn't imagine what something "bigger" in terms of base points cost over the Firespray/YT would cost, then adding the myriad of upgrades it would need to really feel "bigger", that would put you right up to the 100 point limit, no doubt.

Ultimately, we'll see what happens when May 4th rolls around…



#6 LedZep

LedZep

    Member

  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Maybe the other ships (huge) Are meant to be played in objective  type matches. That would make sense. Imagine the game with just the same dogfight mode with or without asteroids…



#7 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

    Member

  • Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Jaravak said:

 

Did people just open their Falcons and throw out the rest of the box?

 

Open up the rules book for either the Falcon or Firespray and look for the "Large Ships" section detailing the large ship rules.

 

It even specifically says

"The Slave 1 has a ship base that is larger than those found in the X-Wing core set. Such ships are classified as LARGE ships and use the folowwing rules."

Emphasis theirs.

 

 

No need to be snarky. What the OP is apparently saying (unless I misunderstand completely) is that the designations in the inserts MAY be changing, based on some non-public and NDA-covered information that was released to a specific insider group (the Heidelberger Spieleverlag) at the Nuremburg Toy Fair earlier this year.

Having said that, I agree with some of the posters above - it's hard to imagine ships even bigger than the Falcon and Slave being viable with the current standard game map configuration of 3'x3'.

And please remember that the May 4th date speculated upon is only that - a speculation. I mention it only because it would be a very appropriate date for an announcement of this kind, since it occurs during FFG's big Star Wars Weekend event in Minneapolis, and it happens to be one of the traditional Star Wars Days (the other being May 25th, the actual anniversary of the film release). There is NO OFFICIAL WORD that any announcement will be made on that date.

 

 



#8 Norsehound

Norsehound

    Member

  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

If it weren't for the "even bigger ships!" comment I would have found this report more believeable. Because I dunno… how can you make a ship bigger and still fit it on a standard playing surface fo 3x3?

It could be that they want to introduce ships that could fight on their own. "Large" ships like the Falcon and Slave-I can be packed with points but can't really take on lists by themselves. "Capital" ships might be a try to make one-ship possible.

Also… if the TIE Bomber (Torpedo-throwing Fighter for the Empire), and the B-Wing (high attack thrower with low manuverability) might be excellent counters for "larger" ships with slower manuverability.



#9 Torresse

Torresse

    Member

  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Norsehound said:

If it weren't for the "even bigger ships!" comment I would have found this report more believeable. Because I dunno… how can you make a ship bigger and still fit it on a standard playing surface fo 3x3?

It could be that they want to introduce ships that could fight on their own. "Large" ships like the Falcon and Slave-I can be packed with points but can't really take on lists by themselves. "Capital" ships might be a try to make one-ship possible.

Also… if the TIE Bomber (Torpedo-throwing Fighter for the Empire), and the B-Wing (high attack thrower with low manuverability) might be excellent counters for "larger" ships with slower manuverability.

Who said anything about a 3'3' maybe a large ship will be played on an 8'x4' table for games of 300 points (or so) Idk I think it would be allot more fun driving a swarm of ties down a long table against another swarm of xwings (the largest gam Ive played was 200 points


This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4


#10 Torresse

Torresse

    Member

  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

*Edit

So I just searched the German forums and found where they speculated, but didnt see anything other then that.
this is the forums btw if anyone can speak german, or have google chrome… http://forum.hds-fan...forum.php?f=193

I ussually keep my eye on those germans to see what they think about the game (tactics and what not) but what I find hillarious is when they start talking about the same thing as us


This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4


#11 Sergovan

Sergovan

    Fly Casual

  • Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Larger ships you say?

Has anyone looked at the Redeemer and Vigil corvettes topic I put up a few days back?

Since X-wing miniatures is technicaly a "boardgame", I can fully imagine folding boards of differing ships in a box set. It would be something that they wouldn't have to send to China to have hand painted and printing on cardboard is reasonably cheap. Add in a few new pilot cards for both sides and new rulesheet and you have a very quick to produce boxed set that would help with FFG's current problem of putting stuff out the door.


Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 5 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 2 Tie Phantom, 2 Defender

Tournament results: (S)11 of 11; (S)3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; ®12 of 28


#12 DarkmanSW

DarkmanSW

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

The Source of my info  http://forum.hds-fan...=13299&start=10

The admin is Thantos . He replied to a user that wrote Falcon and Slave I will be the largest ships. 

Thantos commented that's wrong , they have seen the new ships and there will be larger ships! Falcon and Slave I are "mid-large" ships. 

My comment :

As we all know that b-wing and tie bomber will come.. They need huge targets to be useful. 



#13 Norsehound

Norsehound

    Member

  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Torresse said:

Who said anything about a 3'3' maybe a large ship will be played on an 8'x4' table for games of 300 points (or so) Idk I think it would be allot more fun driving a swarm of ties down a long table against another swarm of xwings (the largest gam Ive played was 200 points

Something people should keep in mind about new content to the game is "how can this fit in a standard scenario?"

When FFG makes an expansion they want a product that can be used as widely as possible in any situation for any kind of game. All of the expansions released so far can be used in pickup games without strange rules or restrictions that limit their playability in standard matches. An A-Wing is just as viable in a pickup game as it is in some of the scenarios.

For example if the TIE Bomber can only be used in a specific kind of scenario (like bombing capital ships), not as many people are going to want to buy it because they can't use it in standard games. Neither will it see use in tournament play, since tournaments are more or less standard games and never scenarios. If they were, it would demand players to have the equipment to play it.

So a "big ship" like a capital ship will have to be designed in such a way that it can be used in standard scenarios, because then people would buy them and use them across the range of the game.

The only other option I can think of is if they came in a scenario pack. You buy one ship, tokens, and other equipment to go with it and the two dozen or so missions that came with it. But I'd imagine something like that to run $50-$99 USD. $30 was high enough and resonable of a price to encourage people to buy large ships (sometimes multiple copies) and encourage sales. I don't see monsters like this selling quickly.

 

Also… I'd argue for the usefuless of the TIE Bomber and B-Wing without ships larger than the Falcon and the Slave-I. The cheaper TIE Bomber throwing torpedoes at lower-dodge Rebels would be awesome!



#14 GeneralBergfrühling

GeneralBergfrühling

    Member

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Why shouldnt Tie-Bomber be useful for the game? Give them a special rule, like they could fire their loadout every second turn w/o running out of ammo. E.g.: The Player fields a Tie-Bomber which is armed with assault missles and torpedos. The player chooses which type of ammo the autoloader should equip the launcher. In the next turn the launcher is ready to fire. After you have fired your torpedo or missle, dont discard the card. In the next round you choose again which type of ammo the autoloader should fit into the launcher. In the following round the launcher is ready … and so forth.

Or just make them REALLY cheap and give them several torpedo- and missle slots.

The B-Wing cant really be compared with the Tie-Bomber. Its more a pimped Y-Wing.



#15 Astro Mike

Astro Mike

    Member

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Like so many others before me, I am calling BS on the idea of large ships too. They make absolutely no sense for this game.



#16 The Amazing Flight Lizard

The Amazing Flight Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Any way to get images leaked, or more information? Just to see that it's not a hoax or anything? I realize there is an NDA, but there is also a certain amount of anonymity to the Internet. We can't get word from the game developers themselves on any thing, so I don't feel the least bit bad asking for this.



#17 gabriel69

gabriel69

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Astro Mike said:

Like so many others before me, I am calling BS on the idea of large ships too. They make absolutely no sense for this game.

Well, AT-AT were a non sense for the old WoTC d20 miniatures, but many of us bought it.

larguer ships should not fit in the tournament play, but is a nice addition to casual and fun play.


 
 
"I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds, people live their lives under Imperial rule without seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."
―Captain Thrawn

 


#18 Jaravak

Jaravak

    Member

  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

There's no point of having a 2014 tournament if wave 3 ships don't change the tournament meta.



#19 Vespid

Vespid

    Member

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

That is like saying there should be no 2014 Superbowl if they don't change the rules in the NFL.



#20 Norsehound

Norsehound

    Member

  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

GeneralBergfrühling said:

Why shouldnt Tie-Bomber be useful for the game? Give them a special rule, like they could fire their loadout every second turn w/o running out of ammo. E.g.: The Player fields a Tie-Bomber which is armed with assault missles and torpedos. The player chooses which type of ammo the autoloader should equip the launcher. In the next turn the launcher is ready to fire. After you have fired your torpedo or missle, dont discard the card. In the next round you choose again which type of ammo the autoloader should fit into the launcher. In the following round the launcher is ready … and so forth.

Or just make them REALLY cheap and give them several torpedo- and missle slots.

The B-Wing cant really be compared with the Tie-Bomber. Its more a pimped Y-Wing.

Right, I've put up a few guesses about what these fighters do on BGG and there's ways to make them perfectly valid and able in standard matches without resorting to "special rules" shinannigans. Some in other forums (The Geek, Afewmanuvers) seem prone to burdening the Bomber with special rules on a "bombing" action or something similar. I disagree, and when I speculate on these things I rely first on implementing existing mechanics rather than makeup far-fetched ones for kicks.

My guess is that Bombers are going to be the Proton Torpedo and mine carriers for the Empire (instead of just relying on Slave-1), and the B-Wing is going to carry the cannon upgrade for the Rebels on top of being a fantastic, but slow moving, shooter.

Anyway as I said, large ships are kind of hard to believe given the current tournament setup. Besides what would they depict? The Tantive-IV is pretty much the only armed "large ship" that can fit on the board from the movies without going into Star Destroyers. The Gallofree transport is the only other thing I can think of but that's even more of a glorified target than the Lambda shuttle!






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS