Squad builder App?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Prevenge

Prevenge

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

I've been fooling around with a couple of other Apps for android. despite having the "support" for X-wing, it drives me nuts trying to use them.

So Fantasy Flight, do you want to take my money? Make an app where I can  build a squad and look at/read cards. 

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

#2 Silver leader

Silver leader

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

agreed, and please offer it for windows phones. I'm okay with us not having the dice app on windows. (i don't trust technology to roll my dice) but a squad builder/card viewer would be amazing

Fear no enemy, fear no opponent. No squad is too good, and no pilot is better. What matters is whats now because it decides whats next. Fight today, to live through to tomorrow.

-Landon, Silver Leader

#3 tigule

tigule

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

There's a truly excellent squad builder app here:
http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build

Latest discussion:
http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=799994

Vinny Savory

#4 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

tigule said:

There's a truly excellent squad builder app here:
http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build

Latest discussion:
http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=799994

While this is an excellent  squad builder, it is a webpage and not truly an "app", and is not optimized for phone/tablet devices. It also has dependence on internet/Facebook connectivity. I too would pay for a small, self-contained app like one described in this thread.

#5 fab74

fab74

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

And you have this one : http://fabpsb.free.fr ;-)

Visit the Squadrons Generator => http://fabpsb.free.fr Manual and Random mode, Extensions list and share feature)

GOLDEN SQUADRONS GENERATOR - RANDOM SQUADRONS GENERATOR - MANUAL SQUADRONS GENERATOR

#6 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

fab74 said:

And you have this one : http://fabpsb.free.fr ;-)

I really like this one as well, the ability to limit it to the ships you actually have is unique. The random generator is also fun. BUT, once again, this is web-based, and not a self-contained app like the OP is requesting.

#7 Tervlon

Tervlon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

There is an android app, it is free and it is called Battle Scribe. One must simply link to the X-Wing database in order for it to work. That database link is available in the Battle Scribe forums or in the Resources section on the A Few Manevers forums. 

It is a great little app that can save and export the lists in a variety of formats including PDF.

#8 csi15

csi15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

I would pay for a Iphone app. 

#9 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

battle scribe has one of those too.

#10 Prevenge

Prevenge

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

battlescribe was one of the ones I was talking about. Unfortunately, it doesn't list any kind of card text. Point totals aren't the only thing I usually need to build a list.  I like to check card wording and whatnot. 

An app that could show you a card library, create lists, and have cards with updated erratta would really be all that I could ask for. Ship movement dial refrences(chart showing their available movements) , scenario listings, and possibly a dice roller would be sweet extras though.  I'd easily pay as much for that(if not more than) as I did for warroom. 

#11 csi15

csi15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Prevenge said:

battlescribe was one of the ones I was talking about. Unfortunately, it doesn't list any kind of card text. Point totals aren't the only thing I usually need to build a list.  I like to check card wording and whatnot. 

An app that could show you a card library, create lists, and have cards with updated erratta would really be all that I could ask for. Ship movement dial refrences(chart showing their available movements) , scenario listings, and possibly a dice roller would be sweet extras though.  I'd easily pay as much for that(if not more than) as I did for warroom. 

this exactly. 

#12 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

except that is does have that data.  mouse over the item and it displays the info.

#13 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Daeglan said:

except that is does have that data.  mouse over the item and it displays the info.

You are correct that this info does appear in the desktop version.

I do not see this functionality in the iphone app, which (along with Android) is what we are discussing here, I think.

#14 Tervlon

Tervlon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

The Android version of Battlescribe has all the card details in the app, too. If you have the app open and are adding pilots, etc you can click on the upper right hand menu and select "View Roster". The roster will open and it will display all of the game info: Pilot Skill, Primary Weapon, Agility, Hull, Shields, the upgrade bar, the pilot ability, and the text and range of any secondary weapons, upgrades, or astromechs. 

In the View Roster screen, if you hit the menu in top right again you can export it as html, txt, BBCode, Markdown, etc. 

Also, It is possible we are working off of different database plugins for the app, but I doubt it.

#15 Prevenge

Prevenge

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

My Razr max doesn't have a mouse. :D

that aside, here's an example in which I would like to view a card in battlescribe.

I create an empire list. I tap tie-fighter. I tap "Backstabber". 

THIS IS WHERE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CARD TEXT. then decided if I want to add him or not.

Instead, "Backstabber" is now added to my list. Now I need to decide if I want to add more tie fighters (without reading their text), or exit back to my actual list. Now that I'm back at the main menu, I tap the top right icon and select "view roster" which allows me to see card text for my entire list in an uneditable format. I have to leave this if I want to edit the list or make changes. If I got the text on "Howlrunner" confused with "Backstaber" I have to go through the extra steps of removing him then going back and selecting her.

Kind of convoluted, huh?

I'm not bashing battlescribe in any way. It's a good modular tool for list construction across games. I'm a big fan of army builder for 40k and fantasy, but some games take more easily to that kind of list builder. I just feel a far better app could be built to fit X-wing.

#16 Tervlon

Tervlon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

I do agree with you that it is convoluted and a dedicated alternative would be better. However, I am glad to have something with all the capabilities that it does and its free, too. In the end I need a place to save lists in a variety of point totals and configurations and Battlescribe does it fine, despite the convoluted nature of the app. 

TLDR: We do have an app it just isn't the perfect dedicated X-Wing only app we would like to see. If a player need a mobile way to save lists, Battlescribe will do it until we get something better. 

#17 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

BattleScribe is a terrible app in my opinion; it is cumbersome, not at all a user-friendly experience. I much rather pull up that web-based squadbuilder mentioned above (http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build) on my iPad when I'm in a wi-fi hotspot (which is where I am most of the day). Much cleaner, much more functional.

#18 csi15

csi15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

wish I could get it to work on my Iphone. 

#19 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Tervlon said:

The Android version of Battlescribe has all the card details in the app, too. If you have the app open and are adding pilots, etc you can click on the upper right hand menu and select "View Roster". The roster will open and it will display all of the game info: Pilot Skill, Primary Weapon, Agility, Hull, Shields, the upgrade bar, the pilot ability, and the text and range of any secondary weapons, upgrades, or astromechs. 

In the View Roster screen, if you hit the menu in top right again you can export it as html, txt, BBCode, Markdown, etc. 

Also, It is possible we are working off of different database plugins for the app, but I doubt it.

Aha! I see it now. Thanks! Though I agree with the TLDR above.

@csi: I got it to work on my iphone, what problem are you having?

#20 csi15

csi15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

It won't let me add upgrades.  They either freeze the program or won't scroll down all the way.   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS