Photo

What wargear DOESN'T work with scout armour?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

I’m planning a change-of-pace ‘stealth’ mission, one where scout armour (from Rites of Battle) will be more appropriate than standard power armour. That has me considering what pieces of wargear require power armour to function…?

Would an Apothecary’s narthecium work with scout armour, or does it require power armour’s power source?

Obviously an Assault Marine’s jump pack requires the power pack of power armour to work- and even if it didn’t, the noise made by a jump pack makes it incompatible with stealth missions.

Can a Devastator’s backpack ammo supply be added to scout armour? The description says it ‘fits over’ the power pack of power armour; but does it only fit on/ work with power armour?

What about a Librarian’s psychic hood? Sometimes it is depicted as a helmet-like device, and sometimes as an actual cloth hood. Should it be considered supplemental to a suit of power armour, or something that works independently?

What about a Techmarine’s servo-arm? Page 28 of the rulebook says it is part of his armour, but page 177 says it attaches to his shoulder (and is removable), and it says that armour must be modified to accommodate it. The more elaborate servo-harness specifies that it requires the power plant of power armour to function, but does a single servo-arm, or can it function independent of power armour, like a techpriest’s mechadendrites?

The description of power fists says that they work off of power armour’s power supply. But Imperial Guard officers can get power fists with self-contained power sources; would such a secondary power supply be available to Marines in scout armour?

Limiting a PC’s ‘standard’ equipment when in scout armour also brings up issues of fairness. Obviously an Assault Marine is taking a huge hit by not being able to use his jump pack- the cornerstone of his specialty- while a Tactical Marine makes no such sacrifice. Do you think PCs who have to give up key wargear when in scout armour should get some kind of offsetting advantage, like extra Requisition points (that can’t be pooled with the group)?

#2 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

In general most of space marine gear would likely have scout armor equivilents, but a marines would not be able to use the same pieces.

Adeptus-B said:

I’m planning a change-of-pace ‘stealth’ mission, one where scout armour (from Rites of Battle) will be more appropriate than standard power armour. That has me considering what pieces of wargear require power armour to function…?

Would an Apothecary’s narthecium work with scout armour, or does it require power armour’s power source?

Though I have never heard of an apothacary using scout armor I don't see why it couldn't work

Obviously an Assault Marine’s jump pack requires the power pack of power armour to work- and even if it didn’t, the noise made by a jump pack makes it incompatible with stealth missions.

Also I am pretty sure landing a jump pack requires power armored legs

Can a Devastator’s backpack ammo supply be added to scout armour? The description says it ‘fits over’ the power pack of power armour; but does it only fit on/ work with power armour?

I can imagine a Scout Marine equivilent ammo pack.  However Scout Marines do sometimes use heavy bolters and on every fig I have seen, they use standard clips instead of a backpack feed.

What about a Librarian’s psychic hood? Sometimes it is depicted as a helmet-like device, and sometimes as an actual cloth hood. Should it be considered supplemental to a suit of power armour, or something that works independently?

A psychic hood is built into the power armor itself.  (actually into the top of the back rather than the helmet)  While I can imagine a psychic hood being built into a set of scout armor, I don't think it is likely.  Psychic hoods are a step beyound ammo back packs and even jump packs.  They are rare, I have a difficult time imagining techmarines fashioning a psychic hood for scout armor.

What about a Techmarine’s servo-arm? Page 28 of the rulebook says it is part of his armour, but page 177 says it attaches to his shoulder (and is removable), and it says that armour must be modified to accommodate it. The more elaborate servo-harness specifies that it requires the power plant of power armour to function, but does a single servo-arm, or can it function independent of power armour, like a techpriest’s mechadendrites?

The tech priests of the guard have mechadendrites as do Techpritests from Dark Herasy and Rouge Trader.  However these are actual cybernetic implants not built onto the suit.  I don't actually think you could attatch Mechadendrites onto a scout suit.  However, If I were the GM I would say that the line between power armor and cybernetics are awful blurry on a Techmarine.  I am not sure I would even allow a Techmarine to even take off his armor completely.

The description of power fists says that they work off of power armour’s power supply. But Imperial Guard officers can get power fists with self-contained power sources; would such a secondary power supply be available to Marines in scout armour?

There are definatly powerfists in the Empire that don't need the added support or the power supply of power armor to work.  I don't think they would be common ammong Space Marines, but that doesn't mean that one couldn't be jurry rigged for the mission.

Limiting a PC’s ‘standard’ equipment when in scout armour also brings up issues of fairness. Obviously an Assault Marine is taking a huge hit by not being able to use his jump pack- the cornerstone of his specialty- while a Tactical Marine makes no such sacrifice. Do you think PCs who have to give up key wargear when in scout armour should get some kind of offsetting advantage, like extra Requisition points (that can’t be pooled with the group)?

DW makes it pretty clear that space marines can perform stealth missions and it doesn't say that they need to take their armor off to do it.  So if all you want is a stealth mission then I don't think you need to put every one in scout armor.

However, I think forcing everyone into scout armor as an added complication for the mission could be a lot of fun.  If I were you, I would not allow any of my PC's to bring ANY of their normal gear, and give them extra requisition to compinsate.  You could have fun with it, even their bolters could be new special stealth bolters for this special mission.  Sounds like an adventure I would love to play in.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#3 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback! 

Hrathen said:

DW makes it pretty clear that space marines can perform stealth missions and it doesn't say that they need to take their armor off to do it.  So if all you want is a stealth mission then I don't think you need to put every one in scout armor.

Space Marines are at -30 on Concealment and Silent Move tests when in Power Armour; while Scout Armour may not be an absolute requirement for a stealthy mission, it would be a huge advantage. I was told in another thread that a Watch Captain can't order Marines under his command to not use power armour, so I'll rely on beating my players over the head with the fact that -30 on stealth tests will be borderline suicidal on this particular mission…

#4 Gavmando

Gavmando

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

You could always just issue all the PC's with a camo cloak at the start of their mission.

Whilst it wouldnt help them with silent move, it would offset the penalties for concealment.

#5 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Gavmando said:

You could always just issue all the PC's with a camo cloak at the start of their mission.

Whilst it wouldnt help them with silent move, it would offset the penalties for concealment.

I'm pretty sure they'll Requisition camo cloaks in addition to Scout armour; since most of them haven't taken any advances in Concealment, they'll need both advantages to get their chances of success significantly above 50%.

-And there's the fact that I'm trying to make this mission feel sharply different from a standard mission, so I'm looking for reasons to push my players to take Scout armour, not reasons to avoid it! ;)

#6 Gantz the slaughterer

Gantz the slaughterer

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Dears,

my answer in line…

Adeptus-B said:

I suppose no, it was only a set of specific surgical kit. a minisaw, a lamp, a medical detector…. the problem was that an apothecary is a valuable marine, he took with him the gene seed recovered, so you always see him with best protection and protected by comrades…

stealth mission with jump pack??? I suggest grav cute and harpoon gun ope etc…..

the jump pack was desinged to bring marine in the middle of the battle, strike and flee away.

stealth mission with an enormous backpack ??? i suggest normal clip

good question, i've no answer for this….but the sanctioned psycker?

good question, i've no answer for this….but the thecpriest?

stealth mission with some big big big weapons? power sword and demolition charge….would fit better

#7 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

Some wargear i can think of that definitely wouldn't work:
Backpack ammoJump packs, psychic hoods, iron halo, chainfist, lightning claws, assault cannon, cyclone missile launcher

Apart from the obvious terminator armour mounted wargear, i feel that anything that is normally mounted onto and drawing from the energy of a suit of power armour (like the psychic hoods, iron halo etc) wouldn't work on scout armour. That being said, the full range of weapons (both range and melee) can have their own power sources and do not require a connection to the micro-fusion stack in astartes power armour backpack, this is simply done for ease of use.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS