games and genres that could benefit from/like to see using this games mechanics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 austncal

austncal

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

so we now have a stare treck game baced off  X-wings game macanics. i would love to hear what other star fighter games people would like to see like X-wing here is my top 5 whats yourse? 

1.babalon 5

2.battelstar galactica

3.thundecats(the new searies)its B.A. check it out

4.that warhammer 40k space fighter game no one plays any more

5.stargate

#2 Rogue Kiwi

Rogue Kiwi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

It only works for x-wing because star wars uses non newton physics unlike b5 especially which uses a more realistic approach to space combat.

#3 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

In fact it is better suited for atmospheric flight games than any "realistic" space simulation.

The Warhammer 40k version of the game was named Aeronautica Imperialis and the reason no one plays it anymore is that it simply isn't produced anymore. It also does not simulate space combat but air battles in atmosphere. There was also Battlefleet Gothic but those were larger ships in space and the movement system it has is better suited than if you would adapt the X-Wing system.

#4 GeneralBergfrühling

GeneralBergfrühling

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

All WWI and WWII miniature games could benefit using this game mechanics. For my behalf dogfights in Star Wars are much like dogfights in WWI. Apart from any game - just watch the movies … i mean its actually high-tech, they are travelling throufg space, wielding beam weapons and stuff … and when it comes to a fight, the fight distances are about like they are armed with 8mm machine guns. Ihe laser beams fly through the 'air' like glowing tennis balls. I think FFG did a very good job putting the WWI dogfight feeling from the Star Wars movies in the X-Wing Miniatures game.

#5 Battle Damage

Battle Damage

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I've said it before, but I'll happily say it again: Robotech/Macross. Use X-wing movement templates for veritechs in fighter or guardian mode, use "Wings of War"-style movement cards for units on the ground. Would be pure rolled-gold awesome.

#6 austncal

austncal

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

you guys make some good points. WWI and WWIIdog fhights would be epic with this macnaic .I cant beleive i left Macross of my list and with some tweaking Gundam would be an amasing aditon to this list as well.

#7 Krassis21

Krassis21

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

two words, Crimson Skies, It would be nice to see it done proper, and these mechanics would be perfect!!!

though I might have the pilots seperate from the planes, (ie base plane cost, plus pilot card cost) because the pilots flew many different types.

#8 Red Three

Red Three

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Would LOVE to see Battlestar Galactica small ships using this game system.  There are probably some tweaks that could be made to the movement dials to better reflect the movement capabilities of the Vipers and Raiders.  Maybe they would be able to "yaw" on their flightstands to a certain degree but still maintain forward flight; flipping 180 to shoot at your opponent would cause the pilot to take a stress token.  Or something like that.

The biggest problem I can see is that there wouldn't be the range of ships that we have available in X-Wing.  There would be Mark II and Mark VII Vipers, of course, and Raptors; on the other side there would be standard and heavy Raiders.  Maybe there could be several versions of the Raptor and the Heavy Raider--missile boats, gunships, electronic warfare, etc…

#9 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Homeworld

This game never got the attention or wide appeal it deserved, IMO.

#10 Tervlon

Tervlon

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

Krassis21 said:

two words, Crimson Skies, It would be nice to see it done proper, and these mechanics would be perfect!!!

though I might have the pilots seperate from the planes, (ie base plane cost, plus pilot card cost) because the pilots flew many different types.

Absolutely! This is exactly what Crimson Skies needs. CS has always suffered from overcomplicated game play and these mechanics are just what the game needs to be fresh and fun. Maybe someone need to work on some mods… I still have a bunch of planes.

Nova Squadron Member 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS