• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dhrocks

dhrocks

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi everyone

If someone could suggest what products to purchase to introduce 3rd edition to my group that would be greatly appreciated.  I know the core set is a must and I've read the adventurers toolkit is a good idea as it has additional careers, but after that I'm a little lost as there are so many products available.

I definitely want a campaign book as well. 

Suggestions please!

#2 skavenmatt

skavenmatt

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

We started with the core set and the adventurers toolkit. For the campaign, the enemy within is great with little modification needed. If you're gonna have alot of dwarfs, blackfire pass is good. I would reccomend both the winds of magic and signs of faith supplements also if you've got people wanting to play casters. I've got everything but lure of power, and 2 PoD's faith of morr and dreadfleet captains, so I can't comment on those, but most of the supplements are very useful; I found blackfire pass a little stale, but I don't play dwarfs alot.

#3 dhrocks

dhrocks

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the reply:

So do you think the core box, adventurers toolkit and the enemy within campaign book is a good place to start?

Is the GM toolkit worth getting?

#4 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Core box, adv toolkit, the wizard and priest boxes all good to start.  That also gives you three adventures. I suggest Gathering Storm rather than Enemy Within to start unless players are used to investigative and roleplay over fighting style play.  GS gives a mix of old world foes etc which is nice.

above all welcome to the game, be sure to check out the errata etc. on the FFG support page and the fan sites with rule summaries and other goodies.

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

If I had to start over, I'd have done the core set and a player's guide (hardcover and PDF).  Then I'd get an extra 2 dice packs.  All of the careers and spells/abilities up to Omens of War and Lure of power are included.

As the Career sheets aren't necessary (because you can just write your talent sockets, abilities, and whatnot on your character sheets), and you can always write down the action card information (or copy it from your Players Guide PDF), I consider the Adventurer's toolkit only valuable for the box that you can use to store your dice :)….but having those "bits" from that box can be handy :)

Then I'd download the Errata, a couple extra official Basic Action Sheets, Living Index, LIber Fanatica #7 (for the pre-generated characters).

http://www.liberfana...F7download.html

Finally, I'd buy LURE OF POWER, because it vastly expands the Social Aspects of the game.

Then, to start a campaign, I'd start with The Gathering Storm and download a bunch of free fan-written scenarios.

I'd maybe check out other people's house rules (maybe the ones in my Sig) and also check out RPGGeek.com for useful downloads.

Oh, and the character sheet in Gitzman's Gallery is pretty complete too and has basic actions already on it (condensed) so you don't have to have thos ecards scattered all over town.

jh

#6 dhrocks

dhrocks

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Emirkol - very comprehensive.  I'll look into all of this.  I don't want to get too much too soon.  I'd rather grab a few things as opposed to being swamped by a plethora of information and resources!

#7 dhrocks

dhrocks

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Valvorik - more good ideas. 

#8 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

You can find several (actually 14) post labeled "Starter's Guide for WFRP" at the Daily Empire.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#9 zirow

zirow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Core set + adventurers toolkit + the gathering storm campaing thats the best way to start.

#10 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

I'll second the: Core Set + Adventurer Toolkit + TGS. It is a great way to start having fun with WFRP3. TGS will take your players from nothing to the start of their second career.  Playing weekly, it'll take you 2 months to finish.

Then, you can decide what more to buy depending of their career.

• If you have a priest, then you'll buy Sign of Faith
  • if you have a Wizard, then you'll buy Winds of Magic
  • if you have two warriors, then buy Omens of War
  • if you have Smooth Talkers, then you'll buy Lure of Power. 

Don't buy anything you don't need yet, WFRP3 can be overwhelming with bits and cards, so go slow!

However, get yourself the Player's Guide PDF, and distribute it to your players. It'll make your life easier in between games for your players to think how to grow their characters.

Finally, download Count Dimon Reference Guide, so that you don't need to open your rule books while playing!

Cheers

Ceodryn

#11 skavenmatt

skavenmatt

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

I agree with the players guide pdf. that will make everyone's lives much easier. the gathering storm is a great supplement for starters, we knew we wanted to play for a long time so we got the enemy within and loved it, but I can also see how it would be a little overwhelming for people still testing the waters. Good luck finding dice packs, unless you want to buy the GM kit that comes with one, I think it's the Vault. We used home made little circle stickers on other gaming dice until they came out with apps to do it for us, now we mostly use the apps when we come into a situation that our core set's can't cover. So I would reccomend getting a dice roller app also.

#12 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

Extra dice packs are very handy for this to happen..

#13 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

Having recently gone through the process myself, but immersing myself into this game for about a year and a half now Ceodryn and Ziro have it right.

If you are new to the game I would recommend that you start with ONLY the core set. Do NOT make any further investments.

Read ALL the books throughly.

After this you will have TONS and TONS of questions because, quite frankly, the main core set rulebook is terribly, terribly written.

Read the core set rulebook again, and maybe a third time. After these readings you will be able to put a few things together that are disorganized and not well referenced in the book, but because you have read it through a few times, they will come together.

If what you have read and seen intrigues you and you wish to continue then:

Purchase the PDF rulebook. This rulebook is MUCH, MUCH better written and organized. It will answer many of the questions you had.

Then:

Come back to these forums for any questions that you still have. You will find that WFRP3e players are VERY eager and willing to help. It is an amazing fan community here,.. the best.  

Once you feel confident about the rules go to http://www.gitzmansgallery.com   and download 2 FREE resources.

Download "Gitzman's Enhanced Character Sheet" and USE IT. You will be glad you did.

Download "WFRP Reference Guide" - The BEST rules summary sheet in existence.

Familiarize yourself with these two downloads and don't worry about all the "additional" rules on the reference sheet. These are added with some of the supplemental box sets which you can purchase LATER.

Then:

Download the DEMO campaign "A Day Late and a Shilling Short" from http://www.fantasyfl...lling_short.pdf

Read and become intimately familiar with the campaign.

Then:

Invite your buddies over and run through the demo.

IF your players liked the system and are interested in more you can play the campaign included in the core set "An Eye for an Eye" - a really great campaign btw.

At this point, if everyone likes the game and wants to play more, you can spend the money on additinonal investment, but up until this point you have only had to invest in the core set and the PDF, and with this you have at least 3 or 4 good sessions to "Try It Out".

If I had it to do all over again, I could have saved myself MUCH headache by following the above steps. The only negative I can think of by going this route is I would have liked to have had "Corruption" ( a rule addition available in the Winds of Magic supplement ) as a tool to use in the Eye for an Eye campaign as there are MANY things in that campaign that are well suited for Corruption.

Welcome Aboard dhrocks!!!  and Good Gaming to ya !!!      

#14 Hehateme

Hehateme

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

I had a similar question as the OP. I am interested in running a WFRP 3E game for my group, but I don't want to buy the Core Set cause I dislike dealing with all the "fiddly bits". I was hoping to get by with the Player's and GM's Guide, the Creature Book, and dice. Problem is, I can't seem to find the dice set anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can find extra dice sets?

#15 rolapin

rolapin

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

There aren't any more dice in sale anywhere in the world right now but FFG is currently manufacturing them. 

They should be available again soon.

#16 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

A cheap way to start is to purchase the Player's Guide PDF. I think it costs $25. Have your group share the cost and share the book and all can read up on the rules.

Then go for the core set.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS