New Corp identity ideas…..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rapatpamp

rapatpamp

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

I have been reading alot of articles lately that say the runners are too fast for the corp because they pretty much ignore remote servers and run on the centrals to win. This makes a problem in the fact that the corp , who should be dictating the pace of the game , are the ones who must take the risks instead of the runners. I recently built a runner deck and realized that I dont even care about the remote servers other than very rare occasions and didnt even realize it. Anyway here are my ideas that may help. I think we need more aggresive corp identities and it would go along way in solving this problem.

Haas-Bioroid - When the runner makes a run on a central server the corp player may advance a card that can be advanced. (Goes with thier theme of ice advancing)

NBN - When the runner makes a run on a central server make a trace of 2+x (x= number of runs made on central servers this turn). (Goes with the trace theme)

Weland - A runner must pay 2 clicks to run on a central server. (This one is basically a slow down tactic)

Jinteki - When a runner makes a run on a central server they take 1 net damage. (Goes with traps like snare to slow down the runner)

Also had an idea for a new neutral corp card - Cost 0 , Play on a runner to take up 1 memory , limit 1 per runner , trash cost 10. (Slows down combo decks making them spend more to get cards into play.)

I know these arent perfect so any ideas or comments appreciated.

#2 zogking

zogking

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

I think your ideas from the new identitys are awesome and I like the idea of a card corps play to take up memory but cost ten to trash is a little harsh, maybe cost 3 to play and 4 or 5 to trash would be slighty more blanced. When I play corp (I play jenteki) I put loads of end the end ice in front of my central severs and then put non end the run ice on my remotes, that way the runner always can try to access a remote (what I want him to do) and would cost loads to break pass all the end the runs, that how I handel it at least.     

#3 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Interesting ideas but they all seem pretty overpowered IMO.

#4 PJStelford

PJStelford

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

rapatpamp said:

I have been reading alot of articles lately that say the runners are too fast for the corp because they pretty much ignore remote servers and run on the centrals to win. This makes a problem in the fact that the corp , who should be dictating the pace of the game , are the ones who must take the risks instead of the runners. I recently built a runner deck and realized that I dont even care about the remote servers other than very rare occasions and didnt even realize it. Anyway here are my ideas that may help. I think we need more aggresive corp identities and it would go along way in solving this problem.

Haas-Bioroid - When the runner makes a run on a central server the corp player may advance a card that can be advanced. (Goes with thier theme of ice advancing)

NBN - When the runner makes a run on a central server make a trace of 2+x (x= number of runs made on central servers this turn). (Goes with the trace theme)

Weland - A runner must pay 2 clicks to run on a central server. (This one is basically a slow down tactic)

Jinteki - When a runner makes a run on a central server they take 1 net damage. (Goes with traps like snare to slow down the runner)

Also had an idea for a new neutral corp card - Cost 0 , Play on a runner to take up 1 memory , limit 1 per runner , trash cost 10. (Slows down combo decks making them spend more to get cards into play.)

I know these arent perfect so any ideas or comments appreciated.

Alright, I think you confused Weyland and Haas-Bioroid here. HB has the theme of eating the Runner's clicks via Bioroid ICE. Weyland features the only advanceable ICE in the game at this time.

When thinking about IDs, don't forget that there is more than simply the ability. IDs can also be balanced with Influence and deck size limitations.

That said… "When the runner makes a run on a central server the Corp player may advance a card that can be advanced." To me, this seems strictly weaker than the core set identity. It gives you one or more pseudo-click (similar to the core identity) that can be used only for advancing cards. You are reliant on your opponent running at opportune times to enable this click for the purposes you need. As written, in HB, you would likely increase the available Influence and/or reduce the influence cost of Weyland ICE.

"NBN - When the runner makes a run on a central server make a trace of 2+x (x= number of runs made on central servers this turn). (Goes with the trace theme)" This is overly verbose, but an interesting concept. Arguably competitive with the core ID, but would need some restrictions. Reducing influence or restricting spending influence on Weyland removes the likelihood of Scorched Earth tricks. Otherwise the ID could easily say "The runner must pay (2) and an extra click to run a central server" for fear of Scorched Earthing.

"Weland - A runner must pay 2 clicks to run on a central server. (This one is basically a slow down tactic)" The ugliest of the batch. Very crude, and poorly worded. As it stands, it would cost 3 clicks to run on a central server. A more reasonable wording would be "When the runner runs on a central server the runner loses a click, if able." This would give runners the option of mitigating the advantage by running on their last click, while opening them up to tagging traps and getting hit with Scorched Earth.

"Jinteki - When a runner makes a run on a central server they take 1 net damage. (Goes with traps like snare to slow down the runner)"

Way, way way way way way way way way way too much. Random discard is Jinteki's strength, and their Core ID is already strong in this regard. Changing it from "when an agenda is scored" to "whenever a run happens" is insanely big. MAAAAAAAYBE if the ID said "The first time the runner makes a run each turn they discard a card if able" it could be balanceable.

For the memory eater, it might work as an Asset. Currently there are not cards that are played 'on the runner.' If it were played on the runner, it would have to be worded very strangely. Perhaps an operation that gets hosted on an installed program that does _something_ would be usable. Spending credits to get rid of such things isn't fun or interesting (and 10 credits is A LOT), so give other ways of trashing such cards. "When a run is successful, trash this instead of accessing cards." or somesuch.

#5 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Random silly Weyland identity  idea I've had floating around in my head.

This card may be advanced. When you rez ICE that may be advanced, you may move any number of advancement counters off this card onto it.

Might end up being too safe/cause Trick of Light shenannigans since the tokens would end up being too safe while on HQ. Would bring back a surprise factor for advancable ICE, though.

Alternate version.

1c, Click: Place a Power token on this card.

When you rez a piece of ICE that is advancable, you may discard any number of power tokens from this card to add a advancement token to the ICE for each power token discarded.

Keeps the surprise factor, but removes the Trick of Light factor.

#6 Brigaldio

Brigaldio

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Actually the Jinteki identity seems a little UP, since it does less than the core identity.  If I'm a runner with a built-up Medium, I'd much rather take just one net damage at the start of the run than make the run and then have to stop accessing early due to finding too many agendas.

I've been running a Medium-based Whizzard deck myself, and it's pretty potent.  The game has cards that let you focus on one server if that's what you want to do - big ice can be de-rezzed with Emergency Shutdown or bypassed by inside job/ Femme Fatale.  There's little disadvantage to focusing one server because you can always switch it up if you need to - having a Medium up and running definitely pressures the corp to protect R&D, which leaves remote servers and HQ less protected. 

For a more immediate solution, there could be a neutral corp card or low-influence Jinteki upgrade that deals 1 net damage for each card accessed beyond the first on the upgraded server, with a high trash cost.  Maybe even throw in "if the runner trashes [cardname], end the run."  So that you can't avoid the damage by just trashing the upgrade first.

Now blogging Netrunner, Warmachine, Malifaux, Dust: Warfare, and anything else that catches my interest at Dice Minus Seven.

#7 Amante

Amante

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'd like to see a NBN identity that makes it more expensive to trash tags. I imagine such a thing will probably be coming in the near future, though…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS