Jump to content



Photo

So here is an odd question about collisions


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Torresse

Torresse

    Member

  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

So I had the Falcon, had a friend slam a tie fighter into my side of it, and parked his other tie right in front of my falcon. My falcon moved straighted 1, however half way accross the template it overlapped the second tie… I realize the falcon cant shoot at the tie he just ran into, however the first tie is still in base contact with the falcon. Can the falcon shoot at the tie who ran into him since the falcon was able to move.

My first reaction is to say he is touching bases so cant. However after reading the FAQ again (helps me fall asleep) I couldnt help but think about the situation. Since the faq states that your only considered touching if you overlapped. And the Falcon did move and not overlap the first tie.

 

Im still thinking my first response was correct, but I want to know what you think



#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Torresse said:

So I had the Falcon, had a friend slam a tie fighter into my side of it, and parked his other tie right in front of my falcon. My falcon moved straighted 1, however half way accross the template it overlapped the second tie… I realize the falcon cant shoot at the tie he just ran into, however the first tie is still in base contact with the falcon. Can the falcon shoot at the tie who ran into him since the falcon was able to move.

My first reaction is to say he is touching bases so cant. However after reading the FAQ again (helps me fall asleep) I couldnt help but think about the situation. Since the faq states that your only considered touching if you overlapped. And the Falcon did move and not overlap the first tie.

 

Im still thinking my first response was correct, but I want to know what you think

The Falcon did overlap the first TIE when the TIE moved into it. Overlap applies to both ships involved.

#3 Buhallin

Buhallin

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

In most cases, it's going to be very hard for a single ship to be touching two others at the same time.  If you overlap two ships, you back up until you're overlapping neither - the chances of moving off both ships at exactly the same time is pretty tiny.  More likely you'll clear one, then the other - leaving you touching the second but not the first.

Ships that don't move would be the main case where that could actually happen.  The rules say "As soon as either of these ships moves away (so that the bases are no longer touching), this combat restriction no longer applies".  If I'm understanding your scenario right, the Falcon doesn't get to move at all.  That would leave it touching both opposing ships, and unable to fire at either.



#4 Ozmodon65

Ozmodon65

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

I seem to be in left field with most thinking but as I understand it. If you overlap you skip the action phase. You are not allowed to fire at ships in base contact. Nothing to me indicates that it matters how they got there.

#5 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

    Member

  • Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Torresse said:

So I had the Falcon, had a friend slam a tie fighter into my side of it, and parked his other tie right in front of my falcon. My falcon moved straighted 1, however half way accross the template it overlapped the second tie… I realize the falcon cant shoot at the tie he just ran into, however the first tie is still in base contact with the falcon. Can the falcon shoot at the tie who ran into him since the falcon was able to move.

My first reaction is to say he is touching bases so cant. However after reading the FAQ again (helps me fall asleep) I couldnt help but think about the situation. Since the faq states that your only considered touching if you overlapped. And the Falcon did move and not overlap the first tie.

 

Im still thinking my first response was correct, but I want to know what you think

It took me a while to parse this and understand the situation, but now I get it. TIE #1 slams into the SIDE of the falcon, thereby causing an overlap, losing its action and causing both ships to not be able to target each other. TIE #2 moves in front of the Falcon, but does not overlap. Falcon wants to go forward straight 1, but TIE #2 is in the way. So it moves forward as far as it  can (call it a straight 1/2) and runs into TIE #2, loses its action, and causes both ships to not be able to target each other. But the Falcon DID move forward a bit, just not far enough to clear TIE #1's base. Is that correct?

If so, it's an interesting question. If the Falcon did not move at all (for example if TIE #2 had run into it instead of parking in front of it), Buhallin is right, and both TIES are still touching the Falcon (and vice-versa). If the Falcon had moved far enough forward to clear TIE #1's base, then clearly they are not touching anymore, and could target each other as normal. But since TIE #1 is touching the SIDE of the falcon, and the Falcon is performing a straight maneuver, technically the Falcon's base will just slide along TIE #1's base, and if it does not move far enought to obviously clear TIE #1's base, the ships are still touching. Or does the Falcon moving even the slightest bit "break" the touch from TIE #1?

My inclination is the same as the OP, that TIE #1 and the Falcon are still touching, and cannot target each other. Is there an argument that goes the other way?

 



#6 Buhallin

Buhallin

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

ziggy2000 said:

But since TIE #1 is touching the SIDE of the falcon, and the Falcon is performing a straight maneuver, technically the Falcon's base will just slide along TIE #1's base, and if it does not move far enought to obviously clear TIE #1's base, the ships are still touching. Or does the Falcon moving even the slightest bit "break" the touch from TIE #1?

My inclination is the same as the OP, that TIE #1 and the Falcon are still touching, and cannot target each other. Is there an argument that goes the other way?

Page 17: "As soon as either of these ships moves away (so that the bases are no longer touching), this combat restriction no longer applies"

So just moving ahead in this situation leaves them touching.

 



#7 Sergovan

Sergovan

    Member

  • Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

In the round that the Falcon and Tie #1 overlapped, until the Falcon clears  the base of Tie #1, it is considered touching, even though the edge of the base moved parallel to the other, the Falcon has to clear Tie #1's base to remove the overlapping restriction.


Rebels: 4 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 1 Redeemer CR 90

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 3 Tie Bombers, 2 Lambda, 1 Vigil Corvette

Tournament results: 11 of 11; 3 of 11;


#8 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

    Member

  • Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

Sergovan said:

In the round that the Falcon and Tie #1 overlapped, until the Falcon clears  the base of Tie #1, it is considered touching, even though the edge of the base moved parallel to the other, the Falcon has to clear Tie #1's base to remove the overlapping restriction.

This is how I wanted to interpret it too, I was looking for confirmation. Thanks!

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS