Photo

Who is going to the Connecticut Regional on 4/13?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

3-5 of us from NYC are planning on making the trip.  Just wondering who else we might see there…

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#2 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

Vaapad said:

3-5 of us from NYC are planning on making the trip.  Just wondering who else we might see there…

2 - 4 of us locals plan on attending as well.

They are charging $25 and are somehow cramming in the Melee format following Joust if you plan on playing both.

#3 Inquisition

Inquisition

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

For $25 I guess I better plan on bringing something more competitive than my Night's Watch deck o_0

#4 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

$25?!  I called the event center a few days ago and was told $15.

I see now that the Facebook event page says $25.  I have to say, that's ridiculous.  This may well deter some of us from coming.

I also see now that it will be melee followed by joust, all starting at 2pm.  At that rate, we're bound to be playing til midnight or later, no?  

Lastly, does melee placement affect overall placement, or is overall placement related solely to joust?

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#5 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

Yeah - the facebook page used to say $15 but a few days ago it was updated with all the detail you see now.  I agree that $25 is a lot to charge, especially without an expanded prize pool beyond the Regional Kit(from what it says).

I am not sure how they plan on running the tournament as I don't know the folks at that location or their experience with regionals.  Part of me wants to post on the event page suggesting that they reduce the buy-in and to tell them Melee probably won't be possible on the same day as Joust(especially if it starts at 2pm), but I don't want to impose since it isn't my regional.

EDIT: It looks like the other FFG regional tournaments are a $15 entry fee.  I'm willing to bet the $25 is a typo.

#6 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

I guess ill call and ask these questions.  If joust won't wrap up til midnight, this may not happen for us.

#7 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

Adam, you say this isn't your regional -- do you know whose it is (if its anyone with an online presence)?

#8 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Vaapad said:

Adam, you say this isn't your regional -- do you know whose it is (if its anyone with an online presence)?

Honestly, I don't know them at all.  This regional is only 20 minutes from my house too!

I sent them a message and posted another question publically on the facebook event page.

I worry that they are somehow combining Joust and Melee formats which is why it is $25.  I really hope they run them as separate tournaments and not using Overall winner.  I was not planning on building and bringing a melee deck at all.

You might want to verify the entirety of the event with them if you give them a buzz.

#9 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Me:

I think I'm very confused about the format. Are you running both Joust and Melee formats as one tournament?

Them:

yes, the Regionals Tournament will consist of BOTH Melee and Joust to determine a winner.

#10 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

Bomb said:

Me:

I think I'm very confused about the format. Are you running both Joust and Melee formats as one tournament?

Them:

yes, the Regionals Tournament will consist of BOTH Melee and Joust to determine a winner.

LOL if this is true.

The "Overall" phenomena is a cancer at the National's and World's level that has now metastasized down into regionals. Somebody better shoot a fat load of chemotherapy all over that regional's facial.

#11 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

I spoke to the organizer on the phone. Here is what I learned.

1) $25 is not a mistake -- the price is higher for thrones because there are two tourneys in one (melee and joust).  There may, depending on turnout, be additional prize support in the form of store credit.

2) Indeed, they expect the thrones event to go late into the night, which is part of the reason the price is higher.

3) The winners will be determined based on both joust and melee combined, in a point-based system, with more emphasis on joust.  However, if you want to place highly, you have to participate in both (ie if you skip melee you earn no points for it).  They made this change because "five or six people" called and requested that melee be part of the event.

4) There will be 2 rounds of melee, a qualifiers round and then a final table.  There will be 4-5 rounds of Swiss joust followed by a bracket.

5) They are expecting 16-32 players.

#12 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

This makes me want to just play Star Wars instead, if I go at all.  I was really excited to start off my thrones regional season next weekend, but melee counting + going all night (and its 2+ hours back to NYC) may = bust

#13 Inquisition

Inquisition

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Vaapad said:

1) $25 is not a mistake -- the price is higher for thrones because there are two tourneys in one (melee and joust).  There may, depending on turnout, be additional prize support in the form of store credit.

2) Indeed, they expect the thrones event to go late into the night, which is part of the reason the price is higher.

3) The winners will be determined based on both joust and melee combined, in a point-based system, with more emphasis on joust.  However, if you want to place highly, you have to participate in both (ie if you skip melee you earn no points for it).  They made this change because "five or six people" called and requested that melee be part of the event.

4) There will be 2 rounds of melee, a qualifiers round and then a final table.  There will be 4-5 rounds of Swiss joust followed by a bracket.

With all those rounds and starting at 2, this thing will go to what, like 2 am? No idea why, if they want to hold both melee and joust on the same day, they wouldn't switch the start time with Star Wars.

#14 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Vaapad said:

Ugh.  I'm so upset to hear that. 

They probably just drove away 8 - 12 Joust players just because of the 5-6 people that want melee, thus causing the the format to be combined.

Did you happen to tell him that that format will probably drive away several players?

#15 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yes Adam - I told him we have a group from NYC who are planing to come up, but competitive melee being mandatory for placement will definitely drive some, and may drive all, away.  He seemed disappointed to hear that , but disinclined to change it.  Maybe if you call and say similar things it will have some effect.  He noted that this is how FFG runs their national events, and I countered that FFG does it over 2 days, and then still has separate prize support for joust winners and melee winners independent of overall placement.

#16 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Aye. I had a carful of DC folks just cancel because of the format. Horrible horrible decision for a regional. Also, if you are charging $25 and expect 16 people minimum, that's $400. If the league kit is $170, where is the rest of the $ going? Seems extremely shady.

#17 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

He basically said its the expense of keeping the store open late to accommodate both formats, which is bull bc Netrunner starts at 5pm anyway - that'll go til midnight too

#18 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

What's funny is that it is very easy to run each tournament separately(like it currently is), charge $15 each or $25 for both, and then split the prize support up among the 2 formats.  Completely eliminate the overall champ and this regional will cater to all AGoT player bases.

Running the regional in its current format hurts any player that wants to play one format and only one format.  In addition to that, now players who drive far to come play are going to have to take a trip back super late.

#19 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Yup.  I saw your Facebook comment and posted there as well to let them know that DC and NYC likely now aren't coming.  Maybe if they see they're driving too many players away they'll change it

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS