Couple of questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Louie Cypher

Louie Cypher

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Compass needles Point South  - Mythos Card from Lurker at the Threshold.

Mythos effect: The first player chooses two investigators. These two investigators immediatley exchange locations, ignoring all monster and movement restrictions.

Q1. Can the first player choose investigators if one of the choosen is in another world or do both investigators have to be in Arkham?

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is Yes, and the choosen investigator is in the second area of the other world, do they return to Arkham in the following movement phase?

Dark Cloak: +1 Evade check - Luck Skill: +1 Luck etc.

Q1 are these cards stackable?  ie 2 x Cloaks = +2 Evade check or 2 x Luck Skill = + 2 Luck and 2 bonus dice if clue token is spent?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

Louie Cypher said:

Compass needles Point South  - Mythos Card from Lurker at the Threshold.

Mythos effect: The first player chooses two investigators. These two investigators immediatley exchange locations, ignoring all monster and movement restrictions.

Q1. Can the first player choose investigators if one of the choosen is in another world or do both investigators have to be in Arkham?

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is Yes, and the choosen investigator is in the second area of the other world, do they return to Arkham in the following movement phase?

Dark Cloak: +1 Evade check - Luck Skill: +1 Luck etc.

Q1 are these cards stackable?  ie 2 x Cloaks = +2 Evade check or 2 x Luck Skill = + 2 Luck and 2 bonus dice if clue token is spent?

Hi!

Compass needles pont south questions:

1. Nope, OW areas are not considered locations. So, both investigators need to be in Arkham (please notice that, playing this literally, street areas are no good either)

Dark cloak et similia question: items stack, and skills stack too, and there is nothing forcing you not to have 13 lanterns or similar. Generally speaking, it's better to have bonuses diveded among the members of the party, but still, it's your choice

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

The answer to Q2 would be yes, but we have to determine whether "location" actually means "location" or if it means "space." FFG hasn't been the most diligent about consistency with this term. I don't see why the Compass mythos card wasn't meant to work for streets, but I'm not so sure about Other Worlds.

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

Louie,

At the risk of sounding overly pedantic (instead of just plain pedantic), Julia's response is spot-on and one of the things most new players have to contend with, beyond the overall complexity of the rules is that FFG is in desparate need (or at least was in desparate need) of an editor.  Terms that are poorly defined in the game include: location (does it include Other Worlds, Street Areas, and/or the actual circular places on the mapboard), spend (is it a 'cost' or a 'loss' as each one has a particular meaning in the game), and others.  I'm sure someone has created a Top 10 List of items every new player should know, but the three that come immediately to mind include:

1.  Follow the Phases ~ that will solve most of the issues you encounter.

2.  Take note of what you can actually trade ~ it's a long list but does NOT include Monster and Gate Trophies, nor Clue tokens.

3.  You cannot be double delayed, double cursed, double blessed, etc.  The conditions are binary..you are or you are not.  If you are Cursed and receive another Curse, you simply do not roll to discard it during the next Turn's Upkeep Phase.

FFG recently released a 40+ page FAQ after many years of work, BGG has over 578 "pages" dedicated to the base game alone…there were and are many questions, but fortunately the types of things that can derail a game because of these questions are few and far between, once you have the basics covered.  More than anything else, enjoy the game ~ Arham Horror is all about the journey, not the destination.

Cheers, Joe 

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Tibs said:

The answer to Q2 would be yes, but we have to determine whether "location" actually means "location" or if it means "space." FFG hasn't been the most diligent about consistency with this term. I don't see why the Compass mythos card wasn't meant to work for streets, but I'm not so sure about Other Worlds.

Yeah, space vs location. That's why I said "playing literally".

As for the OW: the Mythos Compass needles Point South is a Headline; technically no Headline influence Other Words, so…

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 Louie Cypher

Louie Cypher

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

Thanks Julia, Tibs and Professor, all speedy answers and not in the slightest pedantic.

If I have anymore questions I know where to bring em.

Louie

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Think of us as the Arkham Triumvirate!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#8 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Actually, some clarity on costs versus losses would be a good thing. Would any of you care to list out which are which?

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Wolfgar said:

Actually, some clarity on costs versus losses would be a good thing. Would any of you care to list out which are which?

Generally speaking, whenever it's written "you lose" it's a loss; spells have a "cost". Hence Harvey's Strong Mind can be used to reduce:

- the Sanity loss of a failed Horror check / the Sanity damage of a triggered Nightmarish X ability of a monster after passing the Horror Check
- the Sanity loss derived by a Color out of Space moving
- the Sanity loss due to the successfull reading of any Tome
- the Sanity loss derived from encounters, Mythos cards and so on

but

- he has to spend Sanity as all the other investigators when casting spells.

Please refer always to this thread for all the clarifications, like the following one:

4. Does the Professor's Strong Mind ability work against the likes of the Mythos card "The Man in Black", where one must roll a die for every point of Sanity and lose it on a failure? The same question applies to the Gangster's Strong Body ability and the Mythos card "Blood Magic".

Yes. In this case, the Sanity loss isn't described as a cost in any fashion. That is, you aren't paying the Sanity in order to mess around with the Man in Black. Instead, dealing with the Man in Black causes you to lose Sanity.

Same considerations apply for Michael. Hope this helps!

#10 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

The Professor said:

At the risk of sounding overly pedantic (instead of just plain pedantic), Julia's response is spot-on and one of the things most new players have to contend with, beyond the overall complexity of the rules is that FFG is in desparate need (or at least was in desparate need) of an editor.  Terms that are poorly defined in the game include: location (does it include Other Worlds, Street Areas, and/or the actual circular places on the mapboard), spend (is it a 'cost' or a 'loss' as each one has a particular meaning in the game), and others.  I'm sure someone has created a Top 10 List of items every new player should know, but the three that come immediately to mind include:

Scanning the answers thread, another one jumps out at me: Stay here this turn and delayed are apparently the same thing. If I'm understanding this correctly this is greatly going to boost Mark's utility for me.

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Wolfgar said:

The Professor said:

Scanning the answers thread, another one jumps out at me: Stay here this turn and delayed are apparently the same thing. If I'm understanding this correctly this is greatly going to boost Mark's utility for me.

Indeed, Stay here next turn and You're delayed are the same.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS