Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

v1.0)

Fleeing the Empire

Should read: “
Reaction
: After your refresh phase

ends, ..v1.0)

does this work first turn?

also can you play coverfire if you have no units in battle?

#2 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Rogue 3 said:

v1.0)

Fleeing the Empire

Reaction

ends, ..v1.0)

First question on Fleeing…. Oh, the arguments. Please, let me know when you get an answer to this one. I would suggest emailing FFG, since this particular gem wasn't covered in the FAQ.

As to coverfire, yes. Per the FAQ, if a "do X to do Y" effect doesn't specifically target something (uses the "target" or "choose 1" key phrases), you can pay the cost, even if the second part cannot fully resolve.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#3 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Rogue 3 said:

v1.0)

Fleeing the Empire

Reaction

ends, ..v1.0)

The ability on "Fleeing the Empire" does work on first turn as clarified in the FAQ/Errata. The only thing that is skipped in the LS first turn is the "remove focus tokens" step of the refresh phase.

Covering Fire does not require that the sacrificed unit be "in battle", which in game terms I assume you mean declared as an attacker or defender in the current engagement. You must, however, have an available unit to sacrifice.

EDIT: I was approaching this question backwards - I now see what may be the essence of your question, which is can you sacrifice the unit if there is no participating unit to put the shield on. I agree with stormwolf that you can pay the cost (sacrifice) even if there is no unit to place the shield on. The benefits (Leia comes to mind) are interesting in this situation.

#4 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

stormwolf27 said:

First question on Fleeing…. Oh, the arguments. Please, let me know when you get an answer to this one. I would suggest emailing FFG, since this particular gem wasn't covered in the FAQ.

How was this not covered in the FAQ, since there is a specific entry that addresses it?

#5 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

ziggy2000 said:

The ability on "Fleeing the Empire" does work on first turn as clarified in the FAQ/Errata. The only thing that is skipped in the LS first turn is the "remove focus tokens" step of the refresh phase.

has this been officially answered yet?

my opponents always argues that since refresh is skipped there is no after refresh phase.

#6 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Rogue 3 said:

ziggy2000 said:

my opponents always argues that since refresh is skipped there is no after refresh phase.

I do not think there needs to be an official answer. Look at page 12 -  it is only step 1  that is skipped during LS turn one, not the entire refresh phase.

#7 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

ziggy2000 said:

Rogue 3 said:

ziggy2000 said:

I do not think there needs to be an official answer. Look at page 12 -  it is only step 1  that is skipped during LS turn one, not the entire refresh phase.

txs

guess it just octgn that screws peeps up.

but then why wouldnt moblize the sqaudron work first turn?

#8 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Rogue 3 said:

txs

guess it just octgn that screws peeps up.

but then why wouldnt moblize the sqaudron work first turn?

I don't see why Mobilize wouldn't work. It kicks in "after you refresh", which per the FAQ is now after Step 3 of the refresh phase. The difference between Mobilize and Fleeing is that Mobilize will complete before the end of the refresh phase, thus allowing subsequent actions in the action window before the refresh phase end. Since Fleeing and Fleet Command Center are now defined by the FAQ as "after your refresh phase ends", the action window has already passed, and there is not another one until later in the draw phase, after the active player's hand has been returned to reserve size. I don't know why this distinction was made, but there it is.

The rule about the LS skipping the remove focus step on first turn is only there to provide balance for a very specific situation - that being the LS playing an event during the DS first turn. The penalty for this is not being able to remove the focus, and therefore not having that resource available during the LS first turn. So Mobilize and Fleeing should both work on first turn, if appropriate, each in their own way and at their own time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS