Leia and Redemption

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 st1200L

st1200L

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

When you have two cards on the table like Leia who says she has to go captured and Redemption who says that destroyed characters go to your hand where does the actual card go?

#2 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Leia's effect is a constant effect, so she'll end up being captured regardless of how she leaves play.  Redemption changes where a character goes when it leaves play, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still leaving play.

Also note that Redemption's effect is optional.

#3 Scoob

Scoob

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

This is an interesting question to me. Note specifically the text on page 27 in the "In Play And Out of Play" section, in the last paragraph in that section. It states that "A card that 'leaves play' moves from a player's play area to the 'out of play' destination indicated by card (emphasis mine) or rules text."

Now, the way Leia's text is written it states that if Leia leaves play the out of play destination is to be captured at an objective of the DS player's choosing. This invokes the Golden Rule, as typically when a card is destroyed it is placed on top of a discard pile (Page 23, Destroyed Unit Cards)

But Redemption's Interrupt is responding to a Character being destroyed. It doesn't say "Reaction: After a Character unit is destroyed…" The Reaction would imply that the triggering condition is completed (Leia is fully destroyed, Leia reaches the discard pile) whereas making it an interrupt means that Leia is still in the process of being destroyed. Now, the final phrase of Redemption's text is what brings up the confusion, as I think the "instead of placing it in its owner's discard pile" could be read as either A) The discard pile has to be the final destination for the character in order to trigger the interrupt, or B) The interrupt triggers when the condition of simply having a character being destroyed is met.

I would argue A might be intended because it comes in the same product as Leia and that might be too powerful of a combo, but I don't think B is completely ruled out. If B is the intent, the text could have simply been a reminder of where the rules say a destoyed card goes, while If A is intended the best way to write it might have been something like "Interrupt: When a Character unit is destroyed and the discard pile is its destination, return it to its owner's hand instead."

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

The real key to this one: even if you use the Redemption's ability, Leia will still be leaving play (your hand is still out of play) so her constant ability will continue to be in effect and send her captured instead of to your hand… and you've just lost your once per turn Redemption use in the process.  Sorry, but no combo.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS