• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Escape From Hoth

As I write this, I'm sure someone else is writing up a similar post, but oh well. I'm SO EXCITED for this pack! I don't know exactly what it is, but this pack looks awesome. I think a lot of what I like is that it's pushing the game in new directions that feel very thematic to me, like Executor.

I'm also super excited about Toryn Farr and Bright Hope. They featured prominently in a short story that featured Zuckuss and 4-LOM in "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" and with Zuckuss as my favorite bounty hunter, I was excited to see a part of his story featured in the game. I can't wait till Zuckuss is released! But until then, at least we get to add Dengar! Hooray bounty hunters!

Finally, I love the other Sith cards. The Sith Holocron looks wonderful and I just can't wait to play it just to be able to say I used a Sith Holocron! It's a SW fanboy's dream come true. And Aggression seems super powerful. How would you like to have that face your one remaining Jedi?

This Force Pack will be awesome!!

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#2 naken77

naken77

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Damn i love this game!!!!

Love Executor

#3 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

They certainly do seem to be pushing all the right buttons, thematically as well as mechanically…

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Rebel Han has my interest.

#5 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Admiral Ozzel came out of lightspeed too close to the system.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#6 musket_max

musket_max

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Rebel Han has sure got to know a few maneuvers to reaplce old Han, that said super excited to see more options to play that character. 

#7 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was super happy to see the preview for this pack, it looks incredible. Sith Holocron reminds me of one of my favorite AGOT cards, Seat of Power, which is just an incredible economy boost. Can't wait. I'm also so happy for Rebel Han, though I am sad it'll be like five months before the pack comes out. That's really my big complaint here: I want these cards now!

#8 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

musket_max said:

Rebel Han has sure got to know a few maneuvers to reaplce old Han, that said super excited to see more options to play that character. 

Let's call him young Han, since the artwork takes place prior to the films. :P

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

I was so excited about all the other cards that I totally missed the part about a new Han Solo when I read the announcement the first time. At first I thought you all were just making something up. I wonder if he'll be included in Toryn Farr's set, or if we will get two Rebel Alliance sets in this Force Pack. So we'd have one Scum & Villainy, one Dark Side Neutral, one Sith, and two Rebel Alliance. Otherwise, maybe Toryn Farr, Bright Hope, and Han Solo all share a set (which would be weird) and we'll get a fifth set that is either Scoundrels & Spies, Jedi, or Light Side Neutral.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#10 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Endless Reserves looks interesting.

I want to like Executor. I really do. But it costs 8 resources, meaning barring an incredibly resource-heavy objective draw, you're going to need enhancements to bring it out. Sith Holocron makes it a far more managable 5, but if you pop the Holocron to bring out Executor, you're not comboing it with its Reaction.

But I will make Executor work. If I have to run Kuat Reinforcements in my Sith Deck, I will make it work.

#11 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

D.Knight Sevus said:

Sith Holocron makes it a far more managable 5, but if you pop the Holocron to bring out Executor, you're not comboing it with its Reaction.

Are you sure? Wasn't there a ruling a while back about an objective leaving play, the next one in had a reaction to an objective leaving play and FFG ruled you could still use that reaction? I guess it comes down to the timing.

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#12 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

Holliday88 said:

D.Knight Sevus said:

Sith Holocron makes it a far more managable 5, but if you pop the Holocron to bring out Executor, you're not comboing it with its Reaction.

Are you sure? Wasn't there a ruling a while back about an objective leaving play, the next one in had a reaction to an objective leaving play and FFG ruled you could still use that reaction? I guess it comes down to the timing.

Pretty sure. Page 4 of the FAQ clarifies when a Reaction ability may be used. When you sacrifice Sith Holocron to play its Action ability, Executor is not yet in play. You then have to take an Action to play Executor from your hand, which means the triggering opportunity for Executor's Reaction has passed. If, however, you played the card as part of the resolution of Sith Holocron's ability, then you could use Executor's Reaction.

#13 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

D.Knight Sevus said:

D.Knight Sevus said:

If, however, you played the card as part of the resolution of Sith Holocron's ability, then you could use Executor's Reaction.

Right, isn't that what you said in the first place? You use Sith Holocron, play Exectuor and then use the Executor reaction to Sith Holocron being sacrificed. Does this really work? Seems like it shouldn't.

#14 Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that the Executor is overpowered?  Except for the X-Wing, it is the only vehicle unit that costs less than its damage capacity and its reaction ability makes the card incredibly useful no matter how many focus tokens are placed on it.  Thoughts?

Sidenote: In my opinion, thematically I would have imagined that the (Sith) Executor would have 3 Tactics Icons and 3 Edge-enabled Blast Icons with an ability like: Gains 1 Unit Damage Icon for each Capital ship in play.

#15 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

You cannot use the Executor's reaction to the Sith Holocron being sacrificed to play it. This is a different situation than the Journey to Dagobah/Decoy question that came up earlier where Journey had an interrupt ability that could place Decoy into play before Journey left play. In the Holocron/Executor combo, the Holocron has already left play before the Executor enters play.

#16 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

If you look at Effect Resolution on page 5 of the FAQ, it seems like Executor couldn't be in play until the Holocron was already sacrificed, and since reactions happen immediately after the triggering condition, I'd say you can't trigger Executor's ability off a Holocron used to bring it into play.

--Count Dooku

#17 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Two things:

1) I think it would work. I think it would be similiar to the Dagobah/Decoy objective combo. The Dagobah site is gone yet the Decoy at Dantooine works in reducing the dial.

2) I truely hope that this Rebel Han has more health to withstand Force Choke Vader.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#18 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

dbmeboy said:

You cannot use the Executor's reaction to the Sith Holocron being sacrificed to play it. This is a different situation than the Journey to Dagobah/Decoy question that came up earlier where Journey had an interrupt ability that could place Decoy into play before Journey left play. In the Holocron/Executor combo, the Holocron has already left play before the Executor enters play.

Yes, perfect. I hoped it wasn't the same, but I couldn't remember why. Thanks!

#19 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Rogue 4 said:

Two things:

1) I think it would work. I think it would be similiar to the Dagobah/Decoy objective combo. The Dagobah site is gone yet the Decoy at Dantooine works in reducing the dial.

2) I truely hope that this Rebel Han has more health to withstand Force Choke Vader.

Incorrect. In the Journey/Decoy combo, Decoy hits the table before Journey is gone as the effect putting Decoy into play is an Interrupt to Journey being destroyed. Completely dissimilar to the Executor/Holocron combo, which absolutely does not trigger the Executor's reaction.

#20 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

Blade_Runner said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the Executor is overpowered?  Except for the X-Wing, it is the only vehicle unit that costs less than its damage capacity and its reaction ability makes the card incredibly useful no matter how many focus tokens are placed on it.  Thoughts?

Sidenote: In my opinion, thematically I would have imagined that the (Sith) Executor would have 3 Tactics Icons and 3 Edge-enabled Blast Icons with an ability like: Gains 1 Unit Damage Icon for each Capital ship in play.

I think giving it 3 tactics icons instead of unit damage icons would have made it too powerful. As it stands, the unit damage is only useful in an engagement where Executor could also take damage. With tactics icons, it becomes useful to commit it when all the enemy units are already focused, so Executor is never in danger of being damaged itself.

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS