I like Theoden but I wish his ability was more directed to Rohan than to the tactics sphere. Maybe because i feel that boosting traits should be done by those who are at the top of their herarchy:
- Dain (could have been THorin) after the Hobbit becomes the King of Dúrin's folk; so his ability (despite been too strong) isn't bad planned;
- Boromir (could have been Aragorn) was the Gondor great hope at the begining of the Lord of the Rings; so the Leadership Boromir ability is in one of the right Tolkien characters;
- to Rohan, who is left to give this kind of boosting?
As to the Steed of the Mark and the other Mount card, Asfaloth:
Whitout any other cards to give the traits or the sphere and the Against the Shadow cycle cards:
- we have only 3 heroes that can play the Steed on themselves (Dunhere, Eowyn and Eleanor);
- we have only 2 heroes that can play Asfaloth on themselves (Elrond and Lore Glorfindel);
Can be played yet on the following, but needs a spirit hero on the team or Song of Travel (for Steed) or Song of Wisdom (for Asfaloth) or Narvi's Belt:
- Steed of the Mark can only be played on 7 other heroes (Beregond, both Boromir, Denethor, Prince Imrahil, Háma and Theodred);
- Asfaloth can only be played on 4 other heroes (Legolas, Elladan, Elrohir and Spirit Glorfindel);
The Steed ability is the same as the Core Aragorn's one.
But given the heroes where he can be played we have some of those heroes:
that are only designed to, on normal quests, do one thing (Eowyn - quest, Háma - attack, Beregond - defend). the last two are usually not worthy of having on quest because they have low (1) or no willpower and are not the prime candidates to give willpower boosts.
can do more than one thing. On these:
- Denethor usually uses his ability before questing, so doesn't have much benefict from the Steed ability;
- Theodred gives an simultaneous effect with the one from the Steed, so basically he would be questing and readying himself for 0 (it is better the UC);
- Tactics Boromir already have that ability with a different cost (threat rise)
- Leadership Boromir needs to have at least one resource to have his ability, so we could have a bit of problem with resources;
- Eleanor usefull but resource needed;
As to Asfaloth:
his ability is unique on heroes and has a boost if it rider is Glorfindel.
I love that they explore the traits… And that it integrates well with the other existing cards. But Steed of the Mark seems way too powerfull, in comparison to Asfaloth…
A bit like Dain in comparison with Leadership Boromir…