How to win with Falcon??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

I typically run Howlrunner and either Darth Vader+Swarm Tactics or Krassis Trellix+HLC, and then fill the rest of the squad with Academy pilots. I'm fielding 5-6 ships, and Howlrunner runs ST if he's with Vader and Stealth Device if he's with Krassis.

I've killed seemingly every possible loadout of the Millenium Falcon.  Han, Lando, Chewie, and ORS. My friends are getting sick of me. It's just too easy to swing in with dense formations, focus fire, pound the hell out of them, and then their remaining forces don't last long. I don't want my opponents to get discouraged but I win a lot more than I lose.  Is it an asteroids thing? Is it a formations thing? What is the correct battle doctrine to take down a TIE swarm, particularly with Krassis firing for effect from Range 3?

#2 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

Maybe its how they are flying. The falcon should be able to take a few Ties before he losses all his shields, and his support ships need to fly in support for the falcon. If he flys 2 ywings, he needs to ion a few ties to set them up to be taken by the falcon. If he flys 2 xs, then the xs should take out a lot of the ties as well. How is the rolling? Are the games close. The build you are flying is good, but shouldn't dominate if the other players are flying smart.

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#3 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Grimwalker said:

I typically run Howlrunner and either Darth Vader+Swarm Tactics or Krassis Trellix+HLC, and then fill the rest of the squad with Academy pilots. I'm fielding 5-6 ships, and Howlrunner runs ST if he's with Vader and Stealth Device if he's with Krassis.

I've killed seemingly every possible loadout of the Millenium Falcon.  Han, Lando, Chewie, and ORS. My friends are getting sick of me. It's just too easy to swing in with dense formations, focus fire, pound the hell out of them, and then their remaining forces don't last long. I don't want my opponents to get discouraged but I win a lot more than I lose.  Is it an asteroids thing? Is it a formations thing? What is the correct battle doctrine to take down a TIE swarm, particularly with Krassis firing for effect from Range 3?

I honestly have to conclude that your opponents are flying drunk bantha if they can't even luck into a win with the Falcon. You can find a lot of posters on here having a lot of success and it isn't really difficult to achieve. Are you using asteriods and if so what is the placement? Where do they normally deploy thier ships relative to you. What's thier target priority?

#4 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

I agree with Pitsch, I fly my Han with 2 Y-Wings and mutual support is key. I use my Y-Wings to take ships out of the fight by Ioning them so they have no shot. I usually then have the Falcon blast a ship that does have a shot.

When you have whittled down a couple of ties, then you can start using the primary weapons on the Y-Wing at range 1 of out of position ships as well.

The secret with the build I fly is move your ships out of fire arcs, either by manuvere or Ion shot. 3 turret armed ships have a very good chance of pulling apart the list you fly. If you use asteroids, it's even better for the turret team as i'll try and Ion you onto the asteroids.

If Han has the correct setup, he should be killing ties at the rate of .66 - 1 per round.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#5 Chrome

Chrome

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Grimwalker said:

It's just too easy to swing in with dense formations

Do your friends not have any Assault Missiles?

#6 Hush

Hush

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Assault missiles are deadly, especially when Howlrunner is on the board. She's basically asking for one because of her ability. 

What I found flying the falcon is to get out of the "pour zone", that is, like you mentioned, the area where they all focus fire on you. Then use the turret to blast them from behind. When I play it correctly, I at least get 1 to 2 turns of unreturned fire, due to the TIEs having to turn around to begin chasing you. There's a bunch of times I'm range 1 from a TIE shooting him/her in the back. 

Upgrades such as gunner help a lot as well, as well as Homing missiles and as mentioned earlier, Assault missiles. 

#7 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hush said:

Assault missiles are deadly, especially when Howlrunner is on the board. She's basically asking for one because of her ability. 

What I found flying the falcon is to get out of the "pour zone", that is, like you mentioned, the area where they all focus fire on you. Then use the turret to blast them from behind. When I play it correctly, I at least get 1 to 2 turns of unreturned fire, due to the TIEs having to turn around to begin chasing you. There's a bunch of times I'm range 1 from a TIE shooting him/her in the back. 

Upgrades such as gunner help a lot as well, as well as Homing missiles and as mentioned earlier, Assault missiles. 

I completely agree – even my seven year old has learned how to deal with a Tie swarm. He isn't always winning but does pretty good…even against adults. He likes Chewie with Assault Missiles and two gray squadron Y-wings supporting him.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#8 Ozmodon65

Ozmodon65

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have found getting in base contact works. It limits who can fire at you

#9 GeneralKentobi77

GeneralKentobi77

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Grimwalker said:

I've killed seemingly every possible loadout of the Millenium Falcon.  Han, Lando, Chewie, and ORS. My friends are getting sick of me. It's just too easy to swing in with dense formations, focus fire…

I won two out of three games tonight at my FLGS Organized Play X-Wing night using Han Solo+Millennium Falcon+Elusiveness+Chewbacca+Assault Missiles+Engine Upgrade and Luke Skywalker+Expert Handling+R2-D2+Shield Upgrade. One game was against a TIE swarm of Darth Vader+Swarm Tactics+Cluster Missiles, Backstabber, and 4 Academy Pilots. I won in a timed game and took down Backstabber and two of the Academy Pilots (40 total points) while losing Luke (38 points). I was able to Boost for effect to stay out of the TIEs attack arcs and get a few shots in as the TIEs gave chase. I even whiffed on my Assault Missiles roll twice! Once on the first attack and AGAIN with Han's re-roll ability. Had I hit I would have dealt 3 other TIEs a damage. So yes, Assault Missiles and Boost are ways to use the Falcon effectively. I'm a very defensively strategic player and Elusiveness on Han fits my style nicely. It turned 3 hits into misses in my games tonight. A lot of it comes down to maneuvering and out thinking your opponents. As I stated earlier, Boost was a game changer. It also kept me out of the range of Vader's Cluster Missiles. Finally, if there are asteroids in the game you can help your cause greatly by putting them between the TIEs and  your Falcon. As for Krassis with the Heavy Laser Cannon… that's a tough go 'round for ANY squad, Millennium Falcon or not.

Here's a link to my squad

http://x-wing.voidst...treat-from-hoth

#10 Prevenge

Prevenge

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

My guess is that he's not playing to rebels' strength ; Synergy.

Does he/she have any of the following:
-Way to generate multiple actions per ship? (Dutch, lando, Gavin, push the limits)
-A way to fix dice (beyond just one target lock or focus per ship a turn)
-a way to mitigate damage(chewie, chewie, extra shields, biggs, draw their fire) 

If the answer to 2 or more of the above was No. That is definately why he's loosing. outside of that, sometimes matchups are just bad. The YT is the biggest model in the game, and potentially the most powerful, unfortunately it costs points to offset that fact. If they aren't trying to support that points investment, they'll loose every time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS