It's Worse result

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mandroid71

mandroid71

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Ok, so I had an interesting situation come to mind during a game today, it didn't end up mattering because my opponent had the focus to pay for it but it could matter in the future and need to know how to resolve when it comes up.

Opponent uses Yavin 4 to reduce cost of Home one by 2. 

Opponent discards 2 cards to pay the cost of the reduce and get the Yavin 4 interrupt.

I play it's worse cancelling his Yavin 4 cost reduction.

He doesn't get his cards back

He still tries to play Home One (and as above in this case he had the focus to pay it still)

But… what if he didn't?  Say he only had 3 focus, and not enough to pay for Home One…. what happens?  Does Home One go back into his hand?  If it went back into his hand does he still pay the 3 he could before it goes back into his hand?  Does it get discarded because he played it but didn't actually have enough to pay for it?  Do I get to sue my opponent after he punches me in the face?

These are serious questions people.. any rulings on this yet? I have my opinions but would like word or inference from something official at least (I searched forums already as best as my meager brain could allow for.)

Thanks!

#2 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

From the FAQ (the relevant parts of the situation are bolded:

1) Check play restrictions: can the card be played, or the effect initiated, at this time? I assume it's the Deployment phase, so sure.
2) Determine the cost (or costs, if multiple costs are required) to play the card or initiate the effect. Here's where Yavin's Interrupt gets initiated, discarding 2 cards, which is in turn interrupted with It's Worse. The two cards remain discarded.
3) Apply any modifiers to the cost. Had Yavin not been interrupted, here is when the cost would actually have been reduced.
4) Pay the cost(s). Here's where you need to pay for Home One.  Since the player cannot afford it, the rest of the steps get cancelled.
5) Choose target(s), if applicable.
6) The card is played, or the effect resolves. Here's where Home One would normally hit the table.  Since we didn't make it to this point, Home One stays in the player's hand.

To make a long story short (and I apologize for the horrid formatting of the above): Home One doesn't get played, the two cards discarded are still discarded, but Home One stays in the player's hand.

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

To make the short version slightly longer, but more complete: you would not have to pay any of Home One's cost if you couldn't afford to play the card. It's really more evil to mess with your opponent's plans asyou did, lleaving them able to pay it and thus obligated to pay it… And not have resources they were counting on for something else.

#4 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

The trick to combating this is using the interrupt multiple times by discarding only 1 card at a time, and letting each instance resolve.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

JMCB said:

The trick to combating this is using the interrupt multiple times by discarding only 1 card at a time, and letting each instance resolve.

No can do. Interrupts and reactions can only be used once per triggering condition.

#6 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

okay but i didnt see (not sure if it was asked) this answered:

i play home use 3 resources and then use yavin to discard 2-

its worse is played

what happens to 3 resources i focused?

#7 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Rogue 3 said:

its worse is played

They are still focused.

#8 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

ziggy2000 said:

Rogue 3 said:

its worse is played

They are still focused.

so basically they'regone or can i deploy something else for 3 or less?

#9 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Rogue 3 said:

Now that I look at it my earlier answer may have been hasty.

A very good question that hinges on the order in which things are done. Earlier in the thread it was stated that if the Yavin 4 interrupt was cancelled and the cost could not be paid, the card was returned to hand and the resources still available. But what if, as stated here, the resources were declared first, and then the Yavin ability? If Yavin was cancelled are the resources considered spent?

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

ziggy2000 said:

Rogue 3 said:

Now that I look at it my earlier answer may have been hasty.

A very good question that hinges on the order in which things are done. Earlier in the thread it was stated that if the Yavin 4 interrupt was cancelled and the cost could not be paid, the card was returned to hand and the resources still available. But what if, as stated here, the resources were declared first, and then the Yavin ability? If Yavin was cancelled are the resources considered spent?

In that case you did things out of order.  You should reveal the card (Home One) that you're playing, then use the interrupt to reduce the cost, then generate resources.  I will admit that the rules are not entirely clear on whether or not you must generate as many resources as you can if you cannot pay the resource cost (leaving yourself with 0 resources and the card still in your hand), but I would suggest to you that those resources remain available.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS