Missions Expansion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

So, I have been playing this game for a short while now, and both my firends and I are having a blast with it. It is a great game; the perfect balance between strategy and luck! While the straight up dogfigths are fun too, we especially like playing the scenarios, which brings me to my topic. I know there are a bunch of player-generated missions all over the internet, but I would really like to see an official expansion covering this area. The mission in the Millenium Falcon expansion, for instance, was pretty fun, and I'd love to see 10-15 of that quality packed into a neat little box from FFG (even if it does not have a nice, shiny plastic model, just a bunch of cardboard tokens).

#2 tinnitus

tinnitus

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

I second that :)

#3 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Why not just make your own missions? One of my favorites so far has been Rebels vs Imps. imps are defending a sensor network and the Rebels have to get a special equiped ship with an R2 unit that for its action infects a sensor node with a virus. If the Rebels manage to infect all of the nodes, the Rebels win. If the Imperials manage to fight them off, then cool. There is a 1.0 to .8 point descrepenacy for the Rebels favor though. 

#4 tinnitus

tinnitus

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

nimdabew said:

Why not just make your own missions? One of my favorites so far has been Rebels vs Imps. imps are defending a sensor network and the Rebels have to get a special equiped ship with an R2 unit that for its action infects a sensor node with a virus. If the Rebels manage to infect all of the nodes, the Rebels win. If the Imperials manage to fight them off, then cool. There is a 1.0 to .8 point descrepenacy for the Rebels favor though. 

Why settle for my own missions when FFG could supply me with more? ;) Besides, in some cases it is easier to get a stranger at the LGS to play a professionally designed scenario than one of my own.

#5 schoon

schoon

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

Of course, you can have a professionally designed scenario not made by FFG

I fully intend to have some linked campaigns on my site Rantine Station (no it's not up yet - I'm still writing the code), which will support X-Wing and SW:EotE.

#6 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

nimdabew said:

Why not just make your own missions?

Sure, I can always just make my own scenarios, but they will almost certainly lack the quality of an official release. FFG has the means to produce new tokens and game components in a quality that is just simply inaccessible to me. Furthermore, in an official product, I can usually assume that the missions present a good balance between the two sides as they were probably tested numerous times. This is something I cannot always get from fan-made scenarios. Lastly, a set like I proposed above would open brand new doors for fan-made missions through new tokens and game components (somethng we currently do not have a whole lot of).

#7 Aridia 97th

Aridia 97th

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

For anyone interested, I just became the second member of a Yahoo group "Xwingminaturesgame."  While these forums are great for discussion, this could be a great place for us to keep scenarios, house rules, etc.  Hope to see you there.

#8 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

tinnitus said:

Why settle for my own missions when FFG could supply me with more? ;) Besides, in some cases it is easier to get a stranger at the LGS to play a professionally designed scenario than one of my own.

This!  A MILLION times, this!

Not everyone wants to play just the same ol' "pick 100 pts and lets fight in asteroids" match over and over AND OVER.  The missions are really what kept so many fans of LucasArts X-Wing/TIE games over the years, and professionally developed/tested/balanced missions are TONS more fun than the pick-up dogfights.

Not only that, but more published missions would be a great way to get models sold that maybe FFG isn't seeing fly off the shelves as much as they'd like, or they actually have overstock on in some cases.  Or, heck, just want to show off more than the rare occasions they show up in tournament lists  (*cough*Looking at you, Y-wing*cough*)

#9 Astro Mike

Astro Mike

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

I would buy an expansion you proposed without a blink! I too feel the need for more cardboard components.

#10 tinnitus

tinnitus

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

Good to see that there are more people out there craving for more missions! Here's a wild speculation: Eventually FFG will run out of interesting ships to release. But there IS a potentially unlimited supply of new missions. By continually releasing new missionpacks x-wing will stay interesting and alive.

My personal take is that the objective 'whipe everybody out while avoiding the asteroiods' is that it is rather abstract. To me that is more like playing a game of chess -  which is enjoyable to a degree. With missions you're telling a story together. And Star Wars is such an excellent setting for a story!

#11 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

Astro Mike said:

I would buy an expansion you proposed without a blink! I too feel the need for more cardboard components.

Indeed, an expansion that added 2 or 3 well-balanced and well and a half dozen new pilots (for the existing ships/fighters) I would be happy to pay the current expansion prices for ($15) - that would add a LOT of value to my game!

#12 Aajz_Solari

Aajz_Solari

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, a scenario supplement would be great! Especially re-stagings of events from the original Trilogy would be nice!

In the meantime, one could perhaps find inspiration for self-made missions in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter PC games… Hm, need to take a look…

#13 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Aajz_Solari said:

In the meantime, one could perhaps find inspiration for self-made missions in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter PC games… Hm, need to take a look…

I don't think the problem is that the ideas aren't out there - the X-Wing and TIE games are definitely chocked full of scenarios - the problem is that they were all single-player games.  Creating a scenario that is balanced and fun for both sides in it is…a lot trickier.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS