Jump to content



Photo

Artillery Question


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Neffer

Neffer

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hi All

Just a coulpe of question reguarding artillery and obserer teams. It say on page 57 (DW Core):

"For indirect fire, line of site and range from the firing miniature is ignored" 

It doesn't mention anything about weather or not the firing miniature requires the target unit to be in the front arc or not? Can any one direct me to a ruling on this?

Also can a unit with artillery strike use this ability as a reaction? and if so does the firing miniature also take a reaction counter?

Thanks



#2 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Neffer said:

Hi All

Just a coulpe of question reguarding artillery and obserer teams. It say on page 57 (DW Core):

"For indirect fire, line of site and range from the firing miniature is ignored" 

It doesn't mention anything about weather or not the firing miniature requires the target unit to be in the front arc or not? Can any one direct me to a ruling on this?

Also can a unit with artillery strike use this ability as a reaction? and if so does the firing miniature also take a reaction counter?

Thanks

Well nomatter what, you have the 12" min range, so a triggering unit will be outside of Arty range if it triggers a reaction. 

Also you must sustain (use 2 actions) to do indirect fire, a reaction only gives you 1 so no reactive arty.

Not sure on the facing issue though.



#3 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

    Member

  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, they should have said something about facing. We just assume it has to fire into its front facing.



#4 jb11

jb11

    Member

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Neffer said:

Hi All

Just a coulpe of question reguarding artillery and obserer teams. It say on page 57 (DW Core):

"For indirect fire, line of site and range from the firing miniature is ignored" 

It doesn't mention anything about weather or not the firing miniature requires the target unit to be in the front arc or not? Can any one direct me to a ruling on this?

Also can a unit with artillery strike use this ability as a reaction? and if so does the firing miniature also take a reaction counter?

Thanks

Literal reading of the rules has Indirect fire is a type of attack and so obeys the rules of an attack, except where noted in the rules on indirect fire.  As it is not over-ruled the facing rules still apply.



#5 Neffer

Neffer

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the replys people.

I play down at a local club and I've managed to start dragging people away from the 40k tables and start trying dust warfare. So I'm constantly exsplaining rules to new players. The last game I played was when A new player tryed to activate Artilery with an observer team as a reaction and as Dakkon said indirect fire is a sustained attack ie 2 actions and that was how we played it. But I do try and questions I get up inforums to get other oppinions. Also the Front arc question was something I thought about whilst debating the reaction question. Most people leave their artilery at the back ina  corner and automatically just face it toward the main conflict areas, But I for see that maybe being a question later on I might have.

Dakkon:

"Well nomatter what, you have the 12" min range, so a triggering unit will be outside of Arty range if it triggers a reaction. "

page 57 DW core says "the attacking unit cannot attack a unit within 12" when using direct fire"  Surely the Artilery miniature(lets say a steel rain) is the attacking miniature not the observer team. Other wise by that reasoning a observer team could calling a strike on a unit that was 6" away from the steel rain itself?

 

Thanks again people

 



#6 Neffer

Neffer

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

Also reguarding the steel rain, It has the 4.2 rockets which are 5/1 acroos the stat line. But theres no mention of how many rockest its has? In tactics it ofc has 4 as indicated on the unit card and you choose how many you wish to fire to double up the results. Is that the same case in warfare can it shoot is whole payload for 20/1!?

Whats confusing me about this is 5/1 as a one off shot seems like a waste of points/or pretty pointless, yes it still has the mortar but that can't gain unlimited range from indirect fire (DW core p84). On page 83 (DW core) it states "Unfortunatley, the rockets are stricktly one-shot weapons - at over 7 feet long they are far to cumbersome to reload under combat conditions" Yet the special rules benief still redirect you to the reload rules on page 58 lol



#7 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Neffer said:

Also reguarding the steel rain, It has the 4.2 rockets which are 5/1 acroos the stat line. But theres no mention of how many rockest its has? In tactics it ofc has 4 as indicated on the unit card and you choose how many you wish to fire to double up the results. Is that the same case in warfare can it shoot is whole payload for 20/1!?

In Warfare, unless a weapon says specifically that it has a limited number of uses, it is unlimited. The Out of Ammo/Reload is a restraint. 

The Steel rain makes a single 5/1 A attack with the rockets. It can do this every round, as long as you reload.

 

 

Neffer said:

Whats confusing me about this is 5/1 as a one off shot seems like a waste of points/or pretty pointless, yes it still has the mortar but that can't gain unlimited range from indirect fire (DW core p84). On page 83 (DW core) it states "Unfortunatley, the rockets are stricktly one-shot weapons - at over 7 feet long they are far to cumbersome to reload under combat conditions" Yet the special rules benief still redirect you to the reload rules on page 58 lol

Fluff and rules are two different things. Try to keep them separated in your head.

The Steel Rain comes into it's own within 24". When an enemy is within 24" they can put a hurt down like few other walkers due to having two turret mounted Artillery weapons.



#8 Neffer

Neffer

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for the Clarification Uncertain

The steel rain is certainly now looking to be a much more intresting artilery piece when compared to the Lothar for the extra 5 points.



#9 USMC

USMC

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

ItsUncertainWho said:

Neffer said:

 

Also reguarding the steel rain, It has the 4.2 rockets which are 5/1 acroos the stat line. But theres no mention of how many rockest its has? In tactics it ofc has 4 as indicated on the unit card and you choose how many you wish to fire to double up the results. Is that the same case in warfare can it shoot is whole payload for 20/1!?

 

 

In Warfare, unless a weapon says specifically that it has a limited number of uses, it is unlimited. The Out of Ammo/Reload is a restraint. 

The Steel rain makes a single 5/1 A attack with the rockets. It can do this every round, as long as you reload.

 

 

Neffer said:

 

Whats confusing me about this is 5/1 as a one off shot seems like a waste of points/or pretty pointless, yes it still has the mortar but that can't gain unlimited range from indirect fire (DW core p84). On page 83 (DW core) it states "Unfortunatley, the rockets are stricktly one-shot weapons - at over 7 feet long they are far to cumbersome to reload under combat conditions" Yet the special rules benief still redirect you to the reload rules on page 58 lol

 

 

Fluff and rules are two different things. Try to keep them separated in your head.

The Steel Rain comes into it's own within 24". When an enemy is within 24" they can put a hurt down like few other walkers due to having two turret mounted Artillery weapons.

but if reload is an action, and artillery is a sustained attack, aren't the rockets only a viable attack every other round?



#10 Neffer

Neffer

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

USMC

"but if reload is an action, and artillery is a sustained attack, aren't the rockets only a viable attack every other round?"

Yep, thats the thing with indirect fire, its slow. I so far have rarley feilded artillery. If your only planning on using indirect fire you will only get to fire 2-3 times per game depending if you fire your 1st shot in the 1st or 2nd round.



#11 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

USMC said:

 

but if reload is an action, and artillery is a sustained attack, aren't the rockets only a viable attack every other round?

 

 

I should have been more clear on that.

You can reload and Direct Fire every round with Artillery or you can Sustain/Indirect Fire every other round.



#12 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Neffer said:

The steel rain is certainly now looking to be a much more intresting artilery piece when compared to the Lothar for the extra 5 points.

I think it is pretty interesting.

The Steel Rain has the problem of being the most expensive medium walker the Allies have in a pool of cheap, good options. It is very easy to dismiss the Steel Rain when you have the Cobra and Rattler staring at you.

 

 

 



#13 Neffer

Neffer

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Also the leather necks look even more intresting (going by the tactics card) with no reload +/1 vs all infantry and 2/2 up to armour 3 then 1/2 for armour 4+ for 15points. I can see them becoming a favourate for me and are top of my next purchase list ^^ 



#14 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

    Member

  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Gasp. Mortars being useful indirect weapons against infantry? No!



#15 Neffer

Neffer

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

YESS!! =D Apparently so…






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS