New Pod Faith of Morr

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Mexorlon

Mexorlon

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Yay 3 edition has not been embraced by Morr, thus we see yet another POD….

Leave the Doomsayers to their profities..Today is NOT the Day I die ..WE LIKE THE GAME….and it still lives!!!!

So get your game on and the more we play, the better odds the game wil CONTINUE to grow and expand…

Mex

POD: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4044

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

One player in my group is playing an initiate of morr.    Hope he lives long enough to get this one..so we can try it out!  Bu ha ha ha ha!

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4044

jh

#3 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

Very cool, and already ordered! I only had an initiate of Morr once in a one-off game, but I really enjoyed his character and the few blessings he had. Looking forward to read those.

Cheers

Ceodryn

#4 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Ordered this one a few days back!  Been waiting for this release since before Xmas!  The only Wiz/Priest class in my game is a priest of Morr, he is pretty stoked.  Hope they don't wait so long between releases in the future.

#5 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Got my two copies in yesterday.

#6 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Got my two copies in yesterday.

#7 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

I ordered mine last week as soon as it was available, havent even got the email saying its been posted yet.

#8 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

DurakBlackaxe said:

I ordered mine last week as soon as it was available, havent even got the email saying its been posted yet.

I got my confirmation email today, after already getting it in the mail.

#9 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Romus said:

DurakBlackaxe said:

I got my confirmation email today, after already getting it in the mail.

Just got my confirmation email this morning as well. Looking forward to it.

So I reckon it be Gray Wizards next.

#10 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Okay, the PoD arrived yesterday. Was a pleasant surprise.  Unsure of the spells at the minute, will read them over again, see if I get a better impression.

#11 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

DurakBlackaxe said:

Okay, the PoD arrived yesterday. Was a pleasant surprise.  Unsure of the spells at the minute, will read them over again, see if I get a better impression.

I would apreciate if you can tell me if there are some spells which are meant to be used outside combat situations.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#12 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

Yepesnopes said:

DurakBlackaxe said:

I would apreciate if you can tell me if there are some spells which are meant to be used outside combat situations.

Cheers,

Yepes

This is quite hard, depends on the how you read them. 15 spells (level 1 * 4, level 2 *3, level 3 *3,level 4 * 3, level 5 * 2)

11 are combat

1 is if anything dies nearby.

2 can be used out of combat, 1 of those is harder if engaged with enemy.

1 protects an area, could be cast either in or out of combat.

I like the warding spells.

#13 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

@DuarkBlackaxe

Thank you very much for the info. Sad, but thanks anyway.

Cheers,

Yepes

#14 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

It's a bit misleading, though. "combat" spells/blessings can be used outside of combat. It requires some creative thinking on the part of the player and a willingness of the GM to be open to it.  Use it to blast open a door or smash a chaos idol.  Use it to intimidate someone. Cause a cave-in, clear away debris, etc.  It depends on the spell/blessing, but nearly every "combat" spell has the potential for being used outside of combat, IMO.

#15 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yes, we all agree that there can be a non combat application for the fireblast spell. That does not change things, spells are created combt oriented.

#16 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Its the simplest and easiest application of them.  The majority of action cards are weighted towards a combat-oriented primary purpose. Spells are no exception. 

Keep in mind that every RPG I can think of has the majority of their spells oriented more towards combat.  D&D, Pathfinder, etc.

#17 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

dvang said:

Its the simplest and easiest application of them.  The majority of action cards are weighted towards a combat-oriented primary purpose. Spells are no exception. 

That is precisely my complain.

The idea of action cards was a good one, but in my opinion the designers have not been able to properly materialise the idea into the rpg world. It has derived into a huge pile of cards that cover combat, just a part of what a role play game is about. Of course one can say with a bit of imagination you can use them for non-combat situations, but this is like saying I can use my two handed swords for non-combat situations, I can cut bread with it, do my nails, or use it as a mirror to shave once a week. Still, a two-handed sword is intended for combat.

In my opinion, it would have been nice that the designers would have balanced a bit more the numbers of non-combat oriented vs combat oriented parts of the game.

dvang said:

Keep in mind that every RPG I can think of has the majority of their spells oriented more towards combat.  D&D, Pathfinder, etc.

I cannot deny the weight that D&D (and related ones) has, and the role it has played in making rpgs popular (for which I am grateful), but it is not the ONLY rpg in the market neither in history.

What about Ars Magica, RuneQuest, Rolemaster, StarWars (weg), this are all very good rpgs which are /were heavy weights in the rpg world. Their spells /powers are not only combat oriented neither have them a pile of 300+ actions/talents/traits/feats which are focused on combat.

Related to, but a bit off-topic, when I read things in these forums like "Warhammer 3 is a narrative driven game" or "it is a game where the story is what matters", I wonder why is so?

First because it is not a narrative driven game per se, FATE games are, The Burning Wheel is, The One Ring can be considered one. Secondly, what does it mean "it is a game where the story is what matters"? to me in ANY rpg the history is what matters. Killing kobolds, gather xp and gold, open door, killing more kobolds, gather xp and gold, open door and repeat ad infinitum is not the definition of rpg, whatever they sales numbers are or whatever they are trying to make the customers believe.

Sorry, I am drifting too much off-topic, but don't think wrong, I believe Warhammer 3 has good things. I will keep these ideas for another thread.

Cheers,

Yepes

#18 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

I will say one thing. My wife plays a priestess of Verena.  She 'complains' that she doesn't have enough blessings that can be used in combat.

Warhammer is a gritty dangerous world. PCs are adventurers or characters that travel this dangerous world.  

Ars Magica focused solely on spellcasters, to the detriment of non-spellcasting characters, so of course it will have a plethora of both combat and non-combat spell usage.

Anyway, I agree that "it would be nice" to have more of a mix of spells/blessings.  In fact, more spells/blessings period.

However, IMO, it is usually more noticable/important to players that there be usable combat spells/blessings than non-combat spells/blessings.  Combat is when spellcasters really notice when they are lacking. 

Re your off-topic point … It is difficult to describe. The way I see/feel it, is that WFRP3 system actively encourages the story. I think a lot of it is the flexibility of the dice and the system. Games like D&D feel very strict for the rules. What you can and can't do. Movement on a grid, leveling gives specific perks/bonuses and only those. Monsters are designed to have certain stats that don't get altered. Etc.  As a GM, WFRP3 gives me A/C/E pools, allows me to easily equip monsters, etc.

#19 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

@dvang: We will find a better thread to discuss the topic, for sure, sooner or later. I feel we are stealing a bit the original intent of this thread.

Cheers,

Yepes

#20 Jicey

Jicey

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:09 AM

dvang said:

Re your off-topic point … It is difficult to describe. The way I see/feel it, is that WFRP3 system actively encourages the story. I think a lot of it is the flexibility of the dice and the system. 

+1 !

The dice system encourages description (as opposed to simple success/fail/critical).

The action cards (especially combat card) are quite descriptive (before translating this into hard rules).

W3 adventures are very story-oriented in the way they are written (as opposed to encounter/stats-oriented as in D&D4)

Also the way "classes" are presented as carreer paths

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS