Basic Dice Pool question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 qcipher

qcipher

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

When you're setting up a dice pool of Ability and Skill, you start by taking the higher of the 2 in green dice, then upgrade the lower of the two into yellow dice, right?  So 4 Brawn, 2 Melee, start with 4 green dice and then change two of the green to yellow.  If they're both the same, 3 Brawn and 3 Melee, do you just get 3 yellow dice?

#2 TalkingMuffin

TalkingMuffin

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

qcipher said:

If they're both the same, 3 Brawn and 3 Melee, do you just get 3 yellow dice?

Yep! I love how they handle skill versus natural ability and how one compliments/hinders the other. 

And remember…at least, AFAIK…that if you for some reason raise a skill higher (assuming you can) than an ability, it's the same. So, if you have a Presence 2 and Cool 4, you have four green dice then change two of them to yellow. 

#3 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

qcipher said:

When you're setting up a dice pool of Ability and Skill, you start by taking the higher of the 2 in green dice, then upgrade the lower of the two into yellow dice, right?  So 4 Brawn, 2 Melee, start with 4 green dice and then change two of the green to yellow.  If they're both the same, 3 Brawn and 3 Melee, do you just get 3 yellow dice?

Yep, spot on.

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

#4 AustinKatan

AustinKatan

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

I need some clarifying on this. So If I have a 3 in agility and a 1 in light ranged. So I roll 2 green dice and a single yellow?

And once I've gotten 1 more into light ranged making it two, then I roll 1 green and two yellow?

#5 fjw70

fjw70

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

I need some clarifying on this. So If I have a 3 in agility and a 1 in light ranged. So I roll 2 green dice and a single yellow?
And once I've gotten 1 more into light ranged making it two, then I roll 1 green and two yellow?

Yep

#6 AustinKatan

AustinKatan

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

SO MUCH YELLOW!

And when it flips and I have a light ranged of 4 and an agility of 3. Is that one green and three yellow?

Edited by AustinKatan, 31 July 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#7 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

SO MUCH YELLOW!

And when it flips and I have a light ranged of 4 and an agility of 3. Is that one green and three yellow?

Ayup.

There is no signature here.

#8 SmokeGunner

SmokeGunner

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

SO MUCH YELLOW!

Couldn't resist! ;)

• Rikoshi and AgentJ like this

#9 Issari

Issari

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:49 AM

There are some great form field pdf character sheets that some of the community have created that illustrate this really well. Here's a link to one of the threads about them.

#10 torquemadaza

torquemadaza

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

This may help. :)

#11 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yes... but it may be easier on some to think of it as:

Grab the lower of stat or skill in Yellow dice. Then add greens until the total dice are equal to the higher. Then add whatever else the GM tells you to.

Mathematically, it's the same, but some people grasp it better that way.

#12 Rookhelm

Rookhelm

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

Grab the lower of stat or skill in Yellow dice. Then add greens until the total dice are equal to the higher. Then add whatever else the GM tells you to.

hmm...that does sound easier.  It was a little cumbersome to gather up green dice only to immediately discard them in exchange for yellow.  I like this approach you stated.

#13 Fettsbounty

Fettsbounty

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

I explained it to my group so that taking ability dice first then replacing them with yellow second was to get the players used to "upgrading dice". After they finally grasped the concept it wasn't like I introduced them to some new mechanic when I told them that they needed to upgrade a difficulty die.

#14 fjw70

fjw70

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

That is the way I do it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS